Version of Civ 1

RedKi-rr

Prince
After 25 years of playing Civ 1, I suddenly decided to found out the differences between the versions.:)

I heard about several patches (like .01,..., .05).
In my version I see - 475.01
In some youtube letsplays I see 474.04

So, does it mean that the last two numbers are the version of patch? Is any difference between 474 and 475?

May be I just the whole 25 years played patch .01 and didn't know about it...For example, Copernicus is not obsolete bue to Automobile. Is it obsolete in other patches (.04 or .05)?

Also, in patches .04+ the numbers of content citizens depend on numbers of cities. It makes a huge difference for the game. Is any other serious differences?

Read the FAQ for more detail but here's the relevant part
Section A: General Information | CivFanatics

.01: The original game.

.02: This version attempted—and failed—to fix the Advisory Bug. It did fix the Score Bug, and removed the Shift-56 Cheat.

.03: Once again tried to fix the Advisory Bug, and failed again. Added some new pictures. Added “very unhappy people.” Removed free barracks. No longer able to disband a population-1 city at Chieftain level by buying a settler. Transports no longer made people unhappy under a Democracy or Republic. Overall, the game became harder for veteran players. This version is harder to play than previous versions, mainly for people playing Despotic Conquest.

.04: No changes; just converted for HD disks.

: The most recent failed attempt to repair the Advisory Bug. Note: There is no other difference between v3 and v5.

The big versions are .01 which is the only version with the debug cheat, and .03 which increases the difficulty. The others are minor differences.

I believe the 474 vs 475 thing is dependent on region/media. Maybe floppy disk 474 vs cd 475, something along those lines.

Or, I see. Thank a lot! It was really helpful.

Eventually I know that I was playing the first patch.:)

One more question about unhappy people. What is number (~approximately) of cities which add extra unhappiness (for Despotism, say)? Is it progressive? E.g., the first wave of unhappiness is after 8 cities, the second after 16 cities and so on. I never met such unhappy people since usually play OCC.

Also very curious why they didn't implemented in Civ 2 and Civ 3? I mean, in Civ 4 your can feel that you cannot expand rapidly. But in Civ 3 you can just build a lot of small cities (yes, may be you feel corruption and so on, but any new cities still is content and add some impact to the empire), and Civ 2 is more like Civ 3, or Civ 1 with the first patch. Probably, Microprose realized that it is too rough in .03? I assume that they relised pathc .03 long time ago...

Oh, thanks lot! That discussion explained everything.:)

Also forgot to ask...Do Copernicus obsolete after Automobile in patches .03?

No, it does not become obsolete in any version of civdos. Should check civwin, amiga, snes etc. versions though...

Actually, it is another reason to play Civ1 dos version. With all its bugs, features, and atmosphere. Test of time - 30 years! :) It is like first love which refuted (I guess many of you was impressed by Emperor tanks showing up when you didnt even have railroad), but found many years later and showed its beaty (Hello WLTPD, OCC, as well as many other details)

Top Bottom