Very Crazy Ships Suddenly Show Up?

lasttransmissio

Chieftain
Hello Everyone,
I finally claimed a victory, at the Transcend Level, and am on track to duplicate the experience in another game... When, all of the sudden, these very weird ships/vessels/units just appeared out of nowhere. You should see an image of it in the attachments, below, with an image of the description of the unit. I have played many games, and won on all the other levels, and I've never seen this before.

Also, I was producing only Super Singularity Formers, which I've equipped with Grav. Chassis. Also, the Hive has been decimated, and has only 4 small bases left. I killed a Hive, Isle of the Deep, and it turned into one of these units. Later, I found my own home territory was littered with them.

These appeared, at turn 2464. And while I have manipulated the Alpah Centauri.ini, (notepad document) to extend game time, as to avoid mandatory retirement, I can not see how this is a factor. Otherwise, at first I thought the game was mistaking my Old formers, for this new type a unit.

This Glitch , seems pretty sophisticated to be accidental. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Or, have any of you seen anything like this before?

Oh yea, 1) I am on a windows 7 OS (sure this doesn't matter), and 2) I'm playing from the SMAC version 2.0.2.23 (downloaded from GOG, setup and patch), and with Scient's patch... 3) I have also uploaded the .SAV file for the game. I should also add, 4) this forum won't let me upload the .mp file, but I am using a map by "DilithiumDad.. Under the heading: "A highly tweaked version of Huge Map Of Planet. Very balanced map". 5) Otherwise, the direct link to the "dd2ubm.zip" containing the "hmopdd2.MP" can be found here. Thank you all again, and Looking Forward... Cheers!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 250
  • LanSon-2465(WierdShip).SAV
    657.2 KB · Views: 64
The graphic you are seeing is contained in the units.pcx file - its an "Easter Egg" so to speak in that the unit it was meant to represent (a skybase I believe) never made it into the final version of the game.

I think I've heard about this before in that if you go over a certain limit in unit designs (64 seems to ring a bell for some reason), that you will get a corruption of this nature (Petek can probably provide more details on this).

D

I don't have much to add to D's comments. The "skybase" unit does show up, usually late in the game. Your Design Workshop has the maximum capacity of 64 units. That may explain why the game is producing these units. I'm surprised that you are able to continue playing. The game usually crashes after the skybases show up. Perhaps it's because you're playing SMAC. When I try to load your save file in SMAX, the game immediately crashes. If you wish to continue playing the game, I suggest that you upgrade some of your obsolete units (to get the total number of units less than 64). Also delete all the skybase units. You'll have to go into the Scenario Editor (Ctrl + K) to delete other faction's units. It might be easier just to start a new game with auto-design disabled.

Darsnana and Petek, Once again thank you for your prompt replies.

I have not tried to continue playing this campaign, I just notified you all when it showed up. Good to know that I can expect a crash. While I do still harbor a habit for excessive units, I assume you both are referring to the Number of Units, in the menu I have to choose from to build? And this limit is 64? Also, the only Skybase units I have, are the typical satellites, you can produce with AeroComplex. Otherwise, I''l make the corrections and post a reply... Cheers!

I assume you both are referring to the Number of Units, in the menu I have to choose from to build?

Yes, in the Unit Design Workshop.

And this limit is 64?

Correct.

Also, the only Skybase units I have, are the typical satellites, you can produce with AeroComplex.

Perhaps Cloudbase (like the gigantic floating city depicted in the "Cloudbase Academy" Secret Project movie) would be a better descriptor. Its a unit with a gravship chassis, a transport module, and an aircraft carrier special ability. The unit can then float around the map carrying units and aircraft across any terrain, like a cloudbase should be able to do. And if you use your imagination a little (or a lot, as its really not that clear), then the icon we've been discussing "fits" the idea of a Cloudbase.

D

Thank you for the detail Darsnan/Petek... All seem to be working well. No crashes, and no more ships! Thank You again...

Top Bottom