1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Very early barbarian attacks need to be patched

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by futurehermit, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I searched for a save game to post, just to prove that I'm not lying, but my autosaves have progressed far past this point (into the AD times). Unfortunately, I can't post anything to back it up.

@Gibsie: That is strange behavior that I have not observed. I'm paying close attention to it, though, and I'll see if I end up getting attacked even if I don't get the popup. So far, that hasn't happened, though.

2. Rhuarc

Rhuarc Chieftain

This happened to me in a team game I was playing with two other people last night. The three of us were on one team, and we were playing 5 other teams of 3 AI each. Suddenly I get the popup and 6 Barbarian Horse Archers spawned about 8 tiles from my Capital. It was about turn 20, and I hadn't built any units yet. Needless to say that stack steamrolled through both my cities. We quit and started a new game. Kind of neat to see this type of thing happen sometimes, except when it happens to you! LoL

3. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

Rhuarc, why are you playing multiplayer with any of barbs, animals and events on? Turn all those things OFF when you play online, to reduce the luck factor.

4. noto

noto Warlord

Yes sometimes I get the event and they spawn next to me but walk right through my territory and attack someone else. That does happen. In any case, I still think it's a stupid event. Why? Because I don't want an AI to die at the beginning of the game. Really stupid event.

5. Rhuarc

Rhuarc Chieftain

While it was multi, it wasn't really. Myself and two friends were playing on one team and we were playing against 5 other teams of 3 AI each. In those cases we like to leave that stuff on. We do turn that stuff off though if we are playing against each other or other people.

6. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

I don't think all barbarian attacks should be taken out, but the super-early archer attack is just dumb. I've been on both ends of this one, both being wiped out and having a neighbor or two wiped out. In one case I'd rushed the GW super early and the horde of archers actually ended up taking out the only other civ on my continent. I don't think I've ever finished a game where it's happened to me or a neighbor, as it either leaves me crippled (usually dead) or makes the game too easy.

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

The luck factor is what makes Civ fun... :rolleyes:

8. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

It should start at least a little bit later, yes. It's just a waste of time if you're planning, building up etc and then suddenly barbarians appear before you have the chance to set up halfway decent defenses against them and you lose the game. You can still have players be on alert while not making the game end no matter what via random occurrence at a horrible time.

9. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

Could someone explain where and how to edit the requirements for the Vedic Aryans event? I don't want to remove it completely, I'd know how to do that, just change when it can trigger by changing the required techs or the number of players with the techs.

10. Mad2rix

Mad2rix Warlord

Getting kinda annoyed having these early barbarians roasting our a**es. It should be fixed in a next patch.

11. Bleys

Bleys Deity

I just got BTS, and in my very first game, I was Barb-Archer rushed, heh. I knew I was in trouble when I got a message that the Greek civ had been destroyed (Alexander was the only other leader I had met, turned out we were alone on our "island", but had another big island only Galley distance away, with 2 other civs on it).

Shame too, I was off to a great start! Found a city site for my 2nd with Stone, 2 food, and Gold. Oh well. I actually laughed and laughed when it happened. Had I been more astute, I probably could have fought it off, all I really needed to do was switch to all warriors after I got the "Greeks destroyed" message.

12. Xurr

Xurr Chieftain

Yeah that event can be pretty nasty. I saw it go off last night in a Monarch game and a couple turns later crazy Monty bit the dust. So some times it can be beneficial too. ;)

13. MusX

MusX Prince

any fix for this?

14. BSmith1068

BSmith1068 Deity Retired Moderator

Way to revive a dead thread...

Quite frankly there is nothing to fix. It is a game mechanic that introduces a good amount of uncertainty to any game, which for a game like CIV is good. Yes, sometimes you get hit and lose. Other times it opens up an opportunity that you can take advantage of in the game.

I still can't believe everyone complaining about losing a game in the first 20 turns. I mean - so what? It's not like you have wasted a lot of time and effort yet. Just restart and go on your way. It's not like it happens in every game.

15. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

I think they should still happen however you should get at least 2-3 more turns warning before it does like.

"Rumors of a barbarian horde that have decimated the countryside are the spreading through your cities"

that way you have time to whip a few soldiers into place.

16. Leader_H

Leader_H Chieftain

i once see a barb rush in just a few turns, and someone is destroyed..., another one lose one city

17. Buhdist Punk

Buhdist Punk Chieftain

I remember playing a game on Monarch where I saw this event many times......... quite often if it spawns near you, you're screwed, oh well restart and try again.

However there was a game in particular where I got the event and saw 4 archers like everyone talks about, and they always beeline diagonally. They left me alone and wiped out Sitting Bull (haha) and I thought sweet, I will take his cap. 8 turns later they are beelining me and although I put up a fight, they wiped me out too!!!

I have had this in MP games as well, I was wiped out 3 consecutive games in a row with a mate of mine in a duel with AI......... we had a good laugh and I hosted from that point on.

I don't have an issue with the random event, I just wish when I get knocked out I could watch the barbs go for a domination victory!!!!

18. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

I've had one of these very early, but the stack walked next to my capital, then my second city and kept going into Monty's empire? Why?

19. MusX

MusX Prince

game should be playable and winable, if you'll get 5x barb spearmans in 3400 BC near city you cannot win. I know I could start new game and tried to get more lucky, but what if I'm playing multiplayer with 3-4 friends, and we all must restart game every time when some of us get that event!! :mad:

20. Willem

Willem Deity

No it doesn't. What he's referring to is one of the random events that plops a stack of barbs at your doorstep. So even having barbs turned off you could still get it. The event itself has to be turned off, which is entirely possible. Though I forget how I did it I'm afraid. There's a thread around here somewhere that deals with this though, since that's how I learned how to shut it off.

Good Lord, this is the thread. Man this one's old!