Very early barbarian attacks need to be patched

In my last game I got like four of these events. Thank goodness it was a OCC and I had gotten the GW!

The events wiped out both of the AI's on my continent and weakened the fourth, which I then wiped out with Praets...:lol:

game should be playable and winable

Yes, the game should be playable.
Yes, the game should be winnable.
No, it should not be winnable each and every time.
For many people, it is the uncertainty that prompts them to load up the game again.
You may feel different, and that is fine.
However, I do not need a game where a win is guaranteed.
But the barbarian uprising is a real pain. On that we agree.

Yes, the game should be playable.
Yes, the game should be winnable.
No, it should not be winnable each and every time.
For many people, it is the uncertainty that prompts them to load up the game again.
You may feel different, and that is fine.
However, I do not need a game where a win is guaranteed.
But the barbarian uprising is a real pain. On that we agree.
winnable mean able to win, not guaranteed to win

Had the event many times but just a couple was it directed to me, once It cost me a MP game (two human players), another I handled it fine enough (even though I had 4-5 spearman directrly attacking my capital 3 turns after the event started), this was also a MP game (four human players this time).
I like this event as it is, for as many reasons I read early on on this thread;diversity, randomness, surprise.
I bet many of those rookies claiming the protective trait is so stupid/underpowered will now be arguing that this event should be removed/changed.. ha!!

I've played a ton now, and the only one that is truly rigged is the archers one. There's simply no way to have anything remotely resembling a decent opening and still defend 4 archers hitting between 3000-2800 BC. You'd have to beeline archery or something and just pump them out...probably without even making a worker! Even then it isn't a guarantee...since monarch and higher AI's START with archery and seem to get wiped out by this event...

Otherwise, you'd stand a good chance of getting killed anyway. If you go bronze working before archery, forget it.

I suppose it's possible to whip out 2-3 more warriors depending on where they spawn...but then you're talking 2-3 angry faces and crippled expansion...which is game-breaking at higher difficulties. Again, this is assuming you HAVE BRONZEWORKING AT ALL, which you won't if you didn't start with mining.

Basically, if you're playing properly, the ARCHER BARB event @ 3000-2800 BC is just an instant YOU LOSE BECAUSE...WELL NO REASON BUT YOU LOSE ANYWAY BECAUSE THE GAME WANTS YOU TO.

The others come late enough that you can actually have defense (even if it's just archers, a couple of them in a city will pwn spears and axes, HA's take some prep but are doable...and if the city has walls archers trounce all of that stuff).

The archers need to be pulled. Very badly.

This kind reminds me the random event Killer Ship in Sword of the Star (anyone played it?), no matter how good you're doing having that event in your system is guaranteed death.

Personally I never had an event that early, I got it once although I don't remember when, I had 3 cities so it must be after a while. A full compliment of Spear and Swordman right at my border. Ouch, I fought them off after losing something like ... 3/4 of my military strength.

Top Bottom