Very Much a Noob - Help With Colonies

Meshen85

Chieftain
Please could someone help me?! I'm having problems building colonies to bring resources into a city. I've followed the advice in the Civilipedia to no avail. Could someone please explain, step by step how to do this? Thanks!

First, take a native born laborer and move him over to the resource. It must be outside of your cultural borders and not in another nation's cultural borders in order for you to use it. If the resource is not claimed by any nation, there will be an option "Build colony" and once you click that the colony will dissapear.

In order for you to use the colony and its resource, you must have a road connecting the colony to a city.

If a cities cultural border overlaps the colony, a road is left in its place.

can you have the road connected to a nation that can trade with you on a different land?? because then it is connected to your trade route, but not directly to your city

Not exactly sure what you're asking here. You have to make sure that the trade route connects your capital to their capital for the ability to trade with them to be available. And then you also have to agree to a deal with them. ;)

BTW, going OT for a moment, good to see another NZ civver here! :D

Thanks a lot for that Aegis. I've now got Iron coming into my city :D I think my problem was that I mined the resource first. Should that matter? And gold does count as a resource, right?! Thanks for your patience, noobs seem to be spat upon in most places!

Who spits on noobs? No one here, we're loveable creatures.

Welcome to CFF! :beer:

And no, mining won't affect colonization. Just remember that if the resource is in your territory, your cultural borders, then all you need is a road to that resource and not a colony. I spent many hours trying to figure why I couldn't colonize my first game.

Completely contrary to real life, mines are (illogically) not needed to get access to resources. All you need is a road connecting the resource to your cities. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh, and by the way, gold is a resource... but not of the type I think you're referring to (it's not tradeable, and doesn't give any bonuses except extra gold per turn). :)

EDIT: Aegis, it's CFC!!! :lol: :D

EDIT AGAIN: Whoops, gotcha, CivFanatics Forums. :blush: :lol:

We had a discussion over this in Site Feedback a while ago. We came to the conclusion that CFC is better, but only because:

A) CFC also stands for Chlorofluorocarbon.
B) We use it so much.

Tomoyo said:
We had a discussion over this in Site Feedback a while ago. We came to the conclusion that CFC is better, but only because:

A) CFC also stands for Chlorofluorocarbon.
B) We use it so much.
Wait a second... you actually had a discussion about which initials "looked better"? This site is even more crazy than I'd originally thought! :mischief: :D Brilliant! :lol:

Whoops, we kinda hijacked the thread with this OTing... apologies to the moderators! :)

Lord Parkin said:
Completely contrary to real life, mines are (illogically) not needed to get access to resources. All you need is a road connecting the resource to your cities. :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks, that clears a hell of a lot up! Any of you guys hang around on Play The World? I've been playing that with a friend recently, picking up valuable experience :) Ah well, see you around people. Oh, thanks for the welcome too Aegis :goodjob:

I mostly play on Conquests now that I've got both of the expansions (because Conquests includes PTW plus more, so there's really no point in playing just plain PTW any more IMO). :)

Top Bottom