1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

%^&%&^! Very stubborn spylock program

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Bestbank Tiger, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

I keep getting a balloon warning me that my computer has spyware and I need to download an antispy program. It's popping up in my system tray and is trying to get me to buy bogus antispy software.

I've found sites that tell me the registry keys and the files to look for, but none of them are there.

Last night I had Video ActiveX Access too, which I was able to successfully whack. There's no trace of that one anywhere...and there doesn't seem to be any trace of Spylock except that annoying balloon warning.

I'm also getting conflicting information from different sites about the threat level. The sites I know to be reputable (Symantec, McAfee, PCWorld, Wired, microsoft, TrendMicro, etc.) have little or no information no it--they mention similar programs, but not this one and their instructions haven't taken care of it.

System Restore wouldn't work...Ad-Aware didn't get it...my Windows and McAfee programs are up to date. I've cleaned up the registry. McAfee hasn't cleaned it up.

Anything else I should try?

2. Till

Till Adventurer

Try hijackthis and scan the log file it generated for the software you wish to get rid off.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I know this.

Psw-x.vir

VirusBurst

Get Prevx and SmitFraudFix.

There are instructions on Google for this. It took me EIGHT hours to get rid of this virus.

4. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

Thanks.

It's amazing...McAfee couldn't find anything. The ONLY thing it flagged was smitfraudfix.exe

And the only trace of this crap is the alert in my systray.

5. Synsensa

6. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

Thanks!! It worked!

7. Synsensa

You're one of the lucky ones, with me, yesterday, it did not work. I had to work out my own way to get rid of it. Took me 8 hours.