Very Very Annoying Graphics Glitch

Civmansam

King
Here's a graphics glitch I just got recently for no apparent reason as the game worked perfectly for 4 months before this. I think something with the shaders is messed up as nothing shows correctly. The game engine and everything work fine but this really makes me mad!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyway here's a few screenshots of the glitch:

Yuk! :cry:

Sorry, I have no real answer for this problem but it seems odd that this should happen all of a sudden. Ask yourself whether anything has changed recently that might account for this?... have you changed any graphic settings, installed a different driver, changed any hardware?

Have you tried removing and re-installing your graphics driver (the one that worked for 4 months)? Is Direct-X installed and working correctly? Have you run dxdiag to see if any problems are reported?

Just a few suggestions, anyway, in case you haven't thought of them yourself.

It would help us to help you if you gave a few details about your system, in particular graphic card make/model/driver, and perhaps posted the relevant sections of a dxdiag report. There are some knowledgeable peple here who might be able to help but they need something to go on first.

I don't know the reason for this behavior, but I'd start with some generic solutions like:
- uninstall / reinstall civ
- update graphics drivers
- reinstall directx
- experiment with various graphics quality settings

if you modified anything on your comp then switch it back to the way it was, if you dont know what you did, u always have system restore. if that still doesnt work and you havent changed anything, is a virus a possiblity??

Could be that a memory chip on the GPU have fried.
Just my guess, since it looks like it can't show all the graphic.

Hope you'll find a solution!

Have you tried other games?

It looks like an overheating problem. The fan on the graphics card might have stopped rotating properly and isn't pushing as much air as it used. Do you have temperature stats in your card's properties?

In any case I'm gonna put my money on this being a hardware problem, which means you might have to put out money for new hardware. :(

Rabbit said:
Have you tried other games?

It looks like an overheating problem. The fan on the graphics card might have stopped rotating properly and isn't pushing as much air as it used. Do you have temperature stats in your card's properties?

In any case I'm gonna put my money on this being a hardware problem, which means you might have to put out money for new hardware. :(

The funny thing is, once I quit civ and play another game, it gets messed up. But if I restart my comp and play another game it's fine. I'm totally stumped:confused: and angry:mad:

Civmansam said:
The funny thing is, once I quit civ and play another game, it gets messed up. But if I restart my comp and play another game it's fine. I'm totally stumped:confused: and angry:mad:
Hmmm, still sounds like a hardware problem, just one that occurs under specific conditions, which happen when playing civ4. What are the other games you tried, are they graphically more intensive than civ4?

Did you check the card's temperature when playing civ4?

I don't know how to check the temperature

Anyway, I discovered that it triggers when I try to bring up the menu screen while in a game. Does that mean it might be a python problem?

Civmansam said:
Anyway, I discovered that it triggers when I try to bring up the menu screen while in a game.
Is this consistent? It happens every time you bring up the menu in-game, but works fine beforehand ..? If so, that's good evidence that it's not a hardware fault.

Python is a possibility, but I know far too little about it in order to comment. Have you installed any MOD's for Civilization IV ..? Naturally, these might have affected the operations of Python. As others have suggested, the best way of determining any fault that occurs in this fashion is to try and determine what has changed elsewhere at the time the problems began.

What graphics card are you using? If a driver is suspect, it might be that a new driver is conflicting with the remnants of an older driver. The most painless way of resolving this is usually uninstalling your current graphics driver, then using a utility that searches for unused GPU driver components and removes them, before installing the latest drivers afresh. Different cards sometimes have different methods recommended for achieving this.

Since you ask (although it's probably not relevant anymore), you can check temperature of any internally monitored hardware by installing something like SiSoft Sandra - I think there's a free version available to download somewhere.

I have the same problem... In the middle of a very large campaign my graphics started becoming corrupted. If I start another game it works fine.

I have the latest patches, drivers, and DX.

System is:
AMD 64 X2 3800
1GB RAM
GeForce 6600 GT 256MB
WinXP Media Center

PS My system temp is fine too

Top Bottom