1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Very, very, very early war (pillaging)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tappara, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Tappara

Tappara Coffee? Yes please.

I was wondering has anyone tried this kind of a thing.

During the first turns I start exploring world with a warrior or whatever. Then I pop a goody hut and get a warrior. Then another goody hut and get another warrior. And so on.. (yes I know, it's all about luck). So, now I have let's say 3 warriors near eachother.

Then I counter another civ, trade etc. Next, I declare war and pillage improvements, capture worker(s) but I don't even try attacking cities. Eventually, my warriors will probaly get killed, but in the early stage of the game the another civ will suffer a great setback.

Ok, the couple of times I have done this the another civ was so far away that I didn't worry them attacking my area. Some may say why to use warriors on this instead of exploring and finding new goody huts. Well, I usually build more than one exploring unit so those new warriors are just bonuses.

Any comments about this?

2. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I don't usually bother with pillaging improvements or snagging workers, but if I come across an undefended town, I'm liable to torch the crap to the ground...

3. Zingo

Zingo Beer

Yes, I do it all the time, escpecilly if persia/carthage or greece is around :D

4. DS_Legionary

DS_Legionary Chieftain

I'll do it if I'm next to Persia or Rome. Otherwise I generally try to stay out of early wars. I like my AI to be able to put up a fight in the later stages of the game.

5. Wakboth

Wakboth Chieftain

For me, it's about proximity. If I start out in a crowded spot (I just need more elbow room!), I'll make a point of whacking the nearest or most expansion blocking civ right off the bat. If the closest civ is like 20 squares away, I usually don't bother. It all really depends on where they are in relation to me and nearby resources, and paths of expansion. I guess it also depends on how agressive that civ is. If it's a very agressive civ, I can expect that they'll attack me anyway. Why not take them out right off the bat so I don't have to worry about them being right next to my core?

I've found I can pretty much always take out the first civ if I do it really early. The AI does build fast, but tends to be full on expansion in the beginning. Even on deity, I can do this if I'm close enough (and I usually want to if I'm close enough). On emp or lower, it's not even a question. If there's a civ really close to me at the beginning, I just kill them.

6. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I generally do not go to war early in the game (except for one time, when Berlin was found as the Germans only city, which was undefended . . . ) I prefer to settle, and try to deny the AI/Friend room to expand, THEN once I have build up a good amount of city, i build up a military and attack. No, I do not attack early in the game (except in rare circumstances . . . *ahem* NO IRON *ahem*)

7. ProPain

ProPain Chieftain

I used this strategy against a human player once. Sending in heaps of jags to just pillage his core not attacking any cities. Worked pretty well because the pillaging of roads also makes it difficult for players to shuffle their troops around quickly.

I dont think it will be so effective against an AI on high levels. They have so much discount that a few shields less doesn't really hurt them. It might however coerce them to peace treaty on your terms faster.

8. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

The difficulty level is important here. An early warrior rush is likely to work at lower difficulties but is pretty risky (not impossible) at deity.

9. Corrado

Corrado Ave imperator, puella!

If I run into a neighbor real close early on, I may send a few extra warriors nearby to wait for him to send a Settler out. If I get lucky, he sends it near my warriors, with nothing more than a warrior of his own to defend. A quick declaration of war later, and I may lose a Warrior, but I get A) two workers, which makes my starting cities a lot more productive; and B) the security of having gelded a neighbor I'll be destroying eventually.

10. Mano3

Mano3 Chieftain

Usually by the time I find the AI, they're well rooted and stable. I've been dying to try an Archer Rush or what Tappara mentioned in this thread, but unless I play on a small map, the AI is always just far enough to be trouble.

11. Wakboth

Wakboth Chieftain

Yup. Definately true. That's why proximity is critical. Generally speaking, the higher the level of difficulty, the closer that AI's start point has to be to mine for me to try to take him out right off the bat. You have to think of distance as "turns in the future" that the AI will be at in comparison to where you were at when you made the units. The farther you have to move those units the more turns the AI is ahead of you for defending. Given the production advantages of the AI on higher levels (emp and deity specifically), you're having a tough go at it to start with. Giving the AI a half dozen more turns of production will likely kill you. You'll just waste your units and not do anything useful against the AI (except give him a really nice reason to come whack you instead).

However, if you can do it at the higher levels, you should. The production difference is a critical factor again. You have to weigh the likelyhood that the AI will attack you relatively early in the game anyway. If the two of you are blocking eachother from expansion due to placement on the map, you *will* end up fighting pretty early in the game. You may as well get it over with as quickly as possible. It'll be easier to do it on turn 20 then turn 50. Also, if you do it on turn 20 and fail miserably, you can just start up another game. Sucks to play through an age or so working desperately to avoid conflict with a too-close AI opponent only to have him decide whack you anyway later on. Fun when you're able to pull it off, really sucky when you can't though. I guess it all depends on what type of game you're in the mood to play as well...

12. Qitai

Qitai .

Just played Sengoku on Sid. With the fast moving king unit and the dumb AI not trying to kill my king, I declare war on several neighbours the moment I meet them and took their worker away. Took one or two settlers away from them too whenever I have enough troops nearby when I spotted them. Wouldn't try to take their city though. The gist is harassment, instead of kill since you are more than likely to fail if you try to take the city at the higher levels.

Wouldn't try it on an epic game though unless it is really far away. On higher levels, they started with enough extra troops that the risk of losing city before you can make peace is very high.

P.S. Anyone trying and successfully taking out the AI on the higher level very early in the game is probably very very very lucky. :rolleyes: