1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vesuvius achievement help

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by WillowBrook, Dec 3, 2019.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The "walls kept tumbling down" achievement requires that at least six pop be killed in one Vesuvius eruption. My Vesuvius keeps taking out only one pop.

Looking for suggestions or reasons why any of the following is or is not the reason.

Note: I'm playing Rome, and my city immediately adjacent to Vesuvius has over 20 pop.

1) I increased the number of eruptions per game in the random events file because I got no eruptions for over 200 turns (epic speed). Doing this, I can get it to erupt quite frequently, but it only ever takes out one pop. Anyone know if increasing the eruptions could possibly affect the pop removal?

2) I'm have the terra mirabelis (sp?) mod, which modifies Vesuvius to give culture and tourism to antiquity sites. But I don't see anything in the mod that would change how much pop an eruption takes out. But maybe I'm missing something?

3) I'm playing a large primordial map, so there are lots of volcanoes. Is there maybe a global cap on volcano deaths? I've only paid attention to other volcano deaths for a couple dozen turns, but I've seen no toll higher than 1 recently.

4) Anyone else experience high pop loss from Vesuvius since the September patch? Maybe there's a bug?

5) I've already won the game, but I don't see how that could possibly affect the death toll. (I've gotten achievements post-victory before, so that shouldn't be an issue.)

Any other ideas?

Note: I've also played with the population loss parameter in the random events file, but changing it doesn't seem to have any effect.

2. Beaver79

Beaver79 Warlord

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it kills 1 pop for every tile that is being worked that is hit by the eruption. The city center also counts. So if you do true start Europe map as Rome plant your city right next to it and make sure you are working the 5 other tiles around the volcano. If it hits when you have 7+ pop, it should fire the achievement. I got it that way at least.

Sostratus likes this.
  3. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Interesting and I am sorry to see you are having trouble with this. A couple of weeks ago I played Rome on the Europe TSL map and chose to settle one tile away from the volcano. I got three or four eruptions before I had enough population and then waited a while until I got the last one that did the trick. I had made sure that all the surrounding tiles and others closer were being worked and got the achievement on that occasion. I usually play with maximum natural disasters and actually had it up to level 5 using pokiehl's mod.

4. Vincent_lacruz

Vincent_lacruz Chieftain

You can also put the disaster level up to 4, this will cause volcano damages up to 2 tiles from it (which is why I never play inc at level 4, their mountain bias translating most of the time into "blast valley"...:nuke: )

5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Oh, that's probably it - I had no idea pop loss worked like that. In my game, Vesuvius has mountains on five sides and my city is on the sixth. I'm not sure about the second ring around the volcano, but not many are being worked.