Viable Tradition Civs

@CrazyG I am actually quite unfamiliar with what a diplomat does... I think I will keep my spy on defense for now. He is killing loads of enemy spies in Mecca. I will send my next spy to Brazil to find out if that gives me a tourism bonus.
Other than that do you agree with beelining Archaeology? And do you think I have a reasonable shot this time?
You'll get 20% bonus for a diplomat (using your 2nd or 3rd spy this way is a good move)

Yea going for archeology is a good move. You could get acoustics first, then go for archeology. Both approaches have merit.

Wow that is quite a big tourism bonus. I will definitely use my next two spies as diplomats than!

I understand that both have merits. I am quite sure I want to go for scientific revolution first. It gives me a new age which enhances my bonusses from city states and some beliefs. It also reduces the cost of wonders (they have become very high) and I just want more science anyways!

After that it is a tough call. Getting Gunpowder and accoustics first will allow me to improve my army a bit and will allow me to get opera houses and the Hermitage (strong because of sacred sites). It will also allow me to build the sistine chapel which I value highly.

Problem is that I still need to build some infrastructure and the Porcelain Tower in Mecca. I'm not sure if I can also find the time/production to build the chapel straight away. And besides that the sooner I can get my archeologists going the more artifacts I can get before my competition gets them...

Will need to make a decision when I play again...

Problem is that I still need to build some infrastructure and the Porcelain Tower in Mecca. I'm not sure if I can also find the time/production to build the chapel straight away. And besides that the sooner I can get my archeologists going the more artifacts I can get before my competition gets them...
I see you are using your spy as defense. Usually I go on offense, and I can steal gunpowder and acoustics. Not that the defensive spy is wrong by any means. I usually don't go for the Sistene Chapel as tradition. Other wonders are more important. That tech is for the opera house and musicians guilds. Given your situation, I can agree with going for archeology first.

This is what I like about VP. Making hard decisions all along.
I absolutely love VP! It is one of the best gaming experiences I have had for years! I really hope somebody will give CIV6 the same treatment...

I see you are using your spy as defense. Usually I go on offense, and I can steal gunpowder and acoustics. Not that the defensive spy is wrong by any means. I usually don't go for the Sistene Chapel as tradition. Other wonders are more important. That tech is for the opera house and musicians guilds. Given your situation, I can agree with going for archeology first.

I normally go for tech stealing as well but since I am ahead in techs and Mecca is crawling with spies I though it might be good to use a defensive spy. I already killed so many foreign spies that it seems worthwhile. It does slow down the competition after all... I played another 10-15 turns yesterday. I did finnish scientific theory and got the science building in Mecca.

But than the war with France escalated. Both Portugal and Germany declared war together! :eek:
Now I am at war with 3 of the largest armies in the world and france just got his unique unit! Worse still the Portugese knights attacked my northern frontline from behind and killed off the two Trebuchets I received for free (not that bad) and 1 or 2 experienced units....
I really thougt the game was lost at that moment!

I emergency detoured my science towards gunpowder and metalurgy even using a Great Scientist. I am now in the progress of upgrading my army to Tercio's, lancers and cuirassiers. I continued focussing killing the french and they signed a white peace. I am now confident that I can hold the Portugese back for the time being. The problem is that my trade routes got plundered and my city state allies close to Portugal will probably fall. I also lost my tourism bonusses with portugal...

There is some good news too... Next turn I will finnish the Porcelain tower. I can than choose to either go for opera House and Hermitage or try and pick up the sistine chapel as well (9 turns to build). More good news... I am now 4 techs ahead of my competition and I can pick my first Rationalism policy. I think I will take the one that gives me 20% more science in my capital. 10 more turns till archaeology!

If you have the science lead and going for cultural you don’t really need porcelain tower if you are considering other options

The tower will be finnished next turn. The real question now is if I will shoot for the Sistine Chapel. It does cost me 9 turns but it is nice to have and it prevents Brazil and Portugal from getting it making it even harder to overcome their culture....

Ok so I played quite a lot today. We are now in 1505!

Short recap:
We managed to succesfully defend ourselves against the Portugese and Romans. In the meantime we were first at archeology but we didn't manage to get all the artifacts. We did manage to build sistine chapel and Eifel tower however! We are now getting really good Tourism output! We need to try and get some musicians to get Brazil and Portugal influenced though. One musician was already used in Portugal and another is on its way to Brazil.

upload_2018-10-31_22-41-45.png

Science:
We used some great scientist to get ahead in the tech tree. We also build Slater mill because we had no natural coal so that we could build train stations and factories. We needed that production boost! We are now gunning for Radio to get more tourism!
We have 52 techs. The rest is at:
Boudica 46
Portugal 42
Brazil 41
Rome 40

Carthage, France and Sweden are in the late thirties.

upload_2018-10-31_22-43-51.png

The general situation did not change very much. It is near impossible for me to keep my CS alliances but at least I have quite a few embassies so I do still have a vote in the World Congress. I also managed to build some railroads and forts.
My army needs upgrading soon but I need a bit more money ( I spend most on investing in buildings). My cities need to build archeaologists and envoys. Mecca has build most infrastructure and is building the Empire State building now.

upload_2018-10-31_22-41-10.png

I am the first to pick an Ideology now. I think I will go for Freedom but if you guys have any advice I would love to hear it!

Top Bottom