Victories and Endgame

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by spfun, Jul 18, 2016.

1. spfun

spfun King

My hope for Civ 6 is for all victories to require more work to achieve so we can have a more prolonged end game where we get to actually use modern units and buildings even if we're technologically further ahead of the AI that the Victories are of such that the AI has time to catch up in tech and potentially bother our approaching victory path with NUCLEAR WARFARE! :popcorn:

In Civ 5 i would blow through the last few ages within a few turns with bulbing/RA's/free techs and a win by culture/diplomatic would be only another 20-30 turns after doing this. It really didn't allow for endgame combat or buildings to come into the fold at all and the AI are always left in the dust technologically with no time to catch up before the end of the game.

Victories would need to require something more than just waiting 100 extra turns after finishing a certain milestone towards that path, otherwise the endgame could feel pretty boring just waiting down a turn timer. I imagine for example gunning for a culture victory where it takes quite a deal longer to win while you had the tech/culture and finished the trees first some other AI's had time to catch up and are now doing well in religion and another is conquering everyone and everyone has now teched up/cultured up and can fling nukes at each other to slow the other guys down, that sounds pretty fun.

2. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I'm not sure a prolonged end-game is something desirable, to be honest.

I enjoy the start of the game and the first eras much more, basically because by design (in a 4x game), those eras are always filled with more interesting decisions.

Now, a better end-game? Of course, plenty of room for improvement there, that much has been acknowledged by Ed himself.

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

well, there's two things in the OP that make sense:

"non-boring VCs" -> example was the original 'sleep til you get X policies' culture VC in vanilla CiV.
    "pace of end game" -> not have the last 2-3 or 4 era's flip by because you held back a lot of GSs and RAs then spammed them all.

both are realistic requests.

4. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

I appreciate that I am in a small minority here, but ...

I want virtually ALL games to be WIN by SCORE on the LAST turn (i.e., 500 @ civ5/standard speed). Give bonus points, either flat or proportional to standard score, for obtaining domination/culture/science/diplo victory conditions. Others might achieve a VC before you, but you might achieve multiple VCs.
    It's suppose to be the 'TEST of TIME', bleep it!

I suppose if you do a conquest victory, the game may end early. ;)

5. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

I wish the end game was shorter and more time was allocated to earlier eras. I think its absurd to reach the 20th century and only be halfway through the game. I don't know if there's a term for it but it's the chronological equivalent of euro-centricity. I wish progress through the eras was more uniform.

6. spfun

spfun King

I would like to experience plane vs plane battles or nuke vs nuke. Assuming I find an efficient way to beat the AI in culture/tech this won't be a possibility if Victory paths remain easy to attain. I hope the AI are able to keep up with the human player to a larger degree than Civ 5.

7. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

I think end-game was perfect in Civ IV. Just make it like that again.

8. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

I would really like it if victory videos came back. It always felt underwhelming in Civ V that you would play a 10 hour+ game and it just ends with a picture and two lined about you being great. I mean even Civ II had more entertaining victories like the guillotine or space launch. If they could somehow make them Civ specific that would be amazing but I doubt we get that.
    Recency bias?

9. gfeier

gfeier King

I would like to see the final player score adjusted for the difficulty level of the game.

10. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

and the score not be 1000000000x higher if you start in the last era and nuke everyone in 10 turns. vs starting in the ancient era.

11. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think a Mastery Victory would be fun, where you had to achieve all four victories, but they'd be rather difficult because often people simply specialize in each victory to get it.

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

13. Cuneiform

Cuneiform Warlord

Quite frankly anything would be better than what we got with vanilla Beyond Earth, that was embarrassing. :rolleyes:

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Not having played BE, what was that then?

15. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Not only are these things sensible and realistic, they are very good requests. :clap:
    Often Civ V games turn out to be games of diminishing excitement as time progresses. I hope the devs are aware of that and can think up ways to improve that.

16. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Something that could help make the end game more interesting is other Civs actually trying to win the game (as opposed to postponing a human victory). That should go hand in hand with better diplomacy: with all civs being aware of the other being close to victory there should be drive towards forgetting past enmities and working together to stop the leading civ's victory... After which another civ will be top dog of course, and therefore the target of all others. Such dynamics could make for an exciting end game.

17. mentos15

mentos15 Chieftain

Your wish here is something that I've seen frequently criticized about vanilla civ V's AI. That the AIs were not acting according to their "historical flavor" or that teaming up against the human player that was in the lead actually reduced (or completely negated) the importance of diplomacy, since if the AIs just wanted to prevent you from winning, then being friendly or allied has no bearing on that.

18. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Maybe it is just a matter of the ai civs being aware of playing a game with certain victory conditions, just like the human player is. That does not have to stand in the way of cultural/historical flavours.

19. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

I just wish they give us Victory movies this time.

20. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Yes, I would like to see a less underwhelming victory display. If I recall correctly, the defeat display in Civ V was more spectacular than the victory display. How about fireworks all across the map, people dancing in the streets, military units firing salute shots, defeated leaders dressing in the attire of your civ? Reaching a victory takes quite some time, so let's have so time to sit back and enjoy it.