1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Victories - Which Is Easiest While Going Up in Difficulty?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jimmyballz, Jun 18, 2008.

?

Which Victory is Easiest while Going Up in Difficulty?

1. Conquest

3.7%
  2. Cultural

20.2%
  3. Diplomatic (AP)

5.5%
  4. Diplomatic (UN)

7.3%
  5. Domination

29.4%
  6. Space Race

21.1%
  7. No victory is generally easier than another

5.5%
  8. Time Victory should have been included on this Poll

7.3%
  1. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Assuming playing with appropriate/desired Civs, Traits, Leaders, Maps, etc.

It seems that warmongering victories would be harder than peacemongering victories, but wanted to see what you all think.

For example, I can win Cultural victories repeatedly on difficulty levels where I cannot get either of the warmongering victories.

2. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Cultural wins are the first I get when I move up in difficulty.

3. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Either domination or cultural. I'd give the edge to domination since cultural requires you (or, at least it really did for me) to really retool your thinking, and to have some real diplomatic finesse on the settings I play.

4. Magnum27rpa

Magnum27rpa Chieftain

At the higher levels you face AI opponents that can get more land, more troops, more everything. In order to set yourself up for a vicotry you need to be able to carve out a decent amount of real estate. Once you have the real estate set up, you can go for one of two victories quite easily (military or space). Which one you go for will depend on the amount of land you were able to secure in the early game, and the neighbours you have around you. At immortal, and deity I would have to think that a Cultural victory would be nearly impossible. Dimplomacy should also be possible at higher levels, but probably much more difficult to regularly pull off over military and space victories.

Of course this is just my opinion, and probably fits with the way I play the game.

5. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

I'm suprised to see as many dominations as there are. Unless the key is to a domination victory is taking most other civ's out super early. Or are vassals the key? I find this & conquest very challenging.

6. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

If i play on a level to high the only way i have a chance is time or space.

7. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

Funny, I usually find conquest and domination easier than cultural.

I tend to focus on being secure militarily first and foremost, and pursuing other aims secondly. Usually there comes a tipping point where I can readily pursue aggression, and in fact have to, in order to forestall technological development among the AIs. Nothing puts a damper on an AI's runaway technological progress like losing half its empire.

8. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

It has to be domination because if that becomes too difficult you can usually convert to another type of victory. The key to the game is getting enough tiles and resources under your control, then any type of victory is possible.

9. Fabien

Fabien Warlord

I find Space to be the easiest. I must be doing something wrong considering how many votes Domination won. Out of my 40 or so Civ-Games I only managed to get one Domination win. Well, I'll try harder next time. (I'm currently between Prince and Monarch ;)).

I always tried space first, if I upped the difficulty and most of the time it worked. Just Rex and get yourself some good land and then cosolidate and research away...

10. Magnum27rpa

Magnum27rpa Chieftain

The question isn't how do you win your games, but which ones become easier as you go up in difficulty level. The reality is as you go up in level you will be boxed in more, opponents become more agressive, you tech slower, etc. The only way to get on equal footing is to attack them and take there land. If you get enough land, and good tiles under control you can go for any number of win methods, but as you go up taking the land requires larger armies, and more production. Both of those are conducive to military and space victories.

For example at Immortal I often need to find copper, hook it up with my second city, chop axeman like it's going out of style in my capital, take my early large Axeman army over to the nearest opponent and whipe him out. From there the decision becomes one of either taking said upgraded army and attackign with it again, or setting up a couple of addtional cities to block off land, and work on consolidating my empire until it recovers and I can build out another couple of cities. This empire I've established is what allows me to win many different types of victory, and usually my choice is militaristic if I can wage a successful war (depends on neighbor), or if I am against someone like Hanibal or Catherine or someone with a lot of vassals and huge empire, I find I need to keep them happy, develop my empire and use my production to get to space first.

Cultural is something I find very difficult to pull off on Emporer and above.

11. Crowqueen

Crowqueen Token forum woman

I found on Chieftain the easiest way to win was via the AP, and got a shock when I initially went up to Warlord. I came back down again, practiced hard waging a more aggressive campaign, and can now easily win on Warlord.

However Chieftain was easier to win using the AP and even now I have a satisfying AP win (where the only off-continent civ was wiped out, so I could found Judaism - as Cyrus - and spread it enough to win by that means). I keep it as a card in hand so that if I am stagnating I can begin to butter up my rivals rather than eliminating them one-by-one so I end up with an AP or UN victory; normally it's AP because I rather like gambits that go for early religions and Stonehenge etc. for the Great Prophet points. This current game - where I am eligible for an AP win but not winning it because Suryavarman, the rival, is far too powerful for that to happen - I am getting more Great Engineers than prophets, so I am concentrating on assembly line production of troops and global conquest...as the Germans. My boyfriend is Jewish so I'm not going to tell him about this one...!!!

12. harusame

harusame Warlord

what?
    how come 12 people voted for space race???!!!

easiest to obtain at higher difficulties are cultural or diplomatic AP

conquest or domination depends more on map size, the bigger map, the harder it gets

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Definitely the hardest victory you can get as the levels go up is time victory....

14. SirLamphead

SirLamphead Prince

I have never achieved a Diplomatic Victory with AP or with UN.
    I would say cultural is easiest.
    I usually play large continent maps so domination and conquest are a little harder.
    Space race is pretty easy as long as you can keep up tech wise.

15. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Honestly I think Time/Score is the easiest, to the point where I don't consider it to be a real victory.

16. CheScott

CheScott Prince

I sort of take the 'Jeet Kune Do' approach.

Each game plays different, the maps, the leaders, the resoruces, the events of the game.

I think the easiest victory is at the end of the path of least resistance. The last game I played, I beat on Prince difficulty for only the second time. I could probably have acheived a domination victory and was pursuing a space race victory, but tried a Diplomatic victory on the off chance that I'd win, and I did.

First time ever I've been compared to Augustus Caesar.

17. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

As the levels go up it is increasingly harder to have bigger score than the AI, unless you have a really big upper hand. Winning by time in emperor would require a almost domination, but without finishing it and some millions of press enter.....

18. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

Thing is, often (when playing continents) the human player controls most (if not all) of his continent, be it via vassals or completely finishing off the AI so he has lots of land, citites, wonders. This gives him a huge edge when "going for" time victory. Also the player can stir up trouble on the other conti to slow them down even more. This is way easier than invading the other conti persueing DOM.
    This doesn't apply for every map but often is the case (not only on continents).

19. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^True, but you need to had the psycho factor: how many of us would press enter 300 times without needing it?

And what you said is only true with a small number of continents: if there is a high continents/civs ratio things are pretty easy to settle by Dom

20. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

Well, the question is, which is easier. TBH dom will most likely take more RL-time than time victory.

:agree: