1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Victory Condition Poll 1585AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by ordinaryguy, Aug 1, 2007.

?

Which victory condition would you like the game to be won by?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2007.
  1. Conquest

5.6%
  2. Cultural

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Diplomatic

27.8%
  4. Domination

27.8%
  5. Space

27.8%
  6. Time

5.6%
  7. Abstain

5.6%
  1. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

We have been having a lot of discussion here regarding the way we would like this game to be won. After weeks of discussion, I decided to start a poll.

Which victory condition would you like the game to be won by?

This advisory poll will last for 4 days and will be non-binding. However, it will serve as an indication to the citizens' wishes.

The option which has the most votes after the poll closes will be deemed the winner. However, the 2nd and 3rd choices can also be considered in the future should the citizens decide so, as this is an advisory poll.

Please vote wisely. Consider which victory condition(s) is/are still attainable and vote for one of them.

2. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

Domination.
    The "insurance" path. One must always have an army to self protection,
    so give it more a job.
    Going to diplomacy or culture and things going bad? Some bad guy is building
    space ship faster? Domination can never be very far.
    Best regards,

3. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

Donsig, do you seriously want to wait for a time victory :eek:

4. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

I always loved domination :D.

5. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Chose domination, space ship takes forever, and we want to play the add.ons.

6. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Diplomatic, but go in the backdoor.

7. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I've always wanted to play a DG to a time victory but it never happens. :( I'm not sure about [civ4] but in [civ3] it can be challenging to keep the AI from winning another way.

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

In [civ4] it's even challenging to keep yourself from winning in the wrong way, since cities can't be abandoned.
    I had to try about 4 times to get a HOF game by time, kept winning domination due to cultural expansion I couldn't stop. :crazyeye:

9. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Terra maps are one of the best for time games, as the main continent (with the minimum opponents) is typically smaller than the dom limit. Sorry for the off-topic, but I couldn't resist a HOF statement.

What vc's have been won before in previous DG's?

10. Provolution

Terra is my favorite map.

11. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

None I think - well for [civ4] anyway. The first [civ3] was cultural I think - though we were close on another condition, too. The second was domination. Those were the two fun games. I didn't make it all the way through the third. There was some little investigation about selling medicine and I lost track after that...

12. Falcon02

Falcon02 General

Immediately after the Cultural victory (either a later event in that turn or the very next turn), we completed the Space Ship.

And I remember in our work to get the Cultural victory we kept on trying to flip this one Roman city which was right in the middle of our territory.... got the Cultural victory... very next turn it flipped. I think I actually still have the end game save somewhere.

But as for this game... I always have an aversion to the military victories (seems too generic), which is why I voted for Space Race Victory.

13. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

Somebody please break the tie, I don't want to repoll unnecessarily.

14. Provolution

We can surely repoll the two leading options. That would make sense, and we still got the German and Roman wars to handle.

15. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

I agree with Provolution here, we don't need to be sure what we want to do yet, as space, domination and diplomatic are very similar.

16. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

Yes the overall goals for each of those victories will be the same for the foreseeable future, be a big strong nation with a good science output.

17. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

All of them. (except for "time" victory)

DG1 (Persia) - Culture (we could've won by spaceship 1 turn sooner had we switched from Manhatten to a spaceship part)
    DG2 (Germany) - Domination
    DG3 (Rome) - Spaceship
    DG4 (France) - Conquest
    DG5 (Japan) - Diplomatic
    DG6 (England) - We were 3 tiles away from domination, but went for culture. This was a fun one, since the Dutch were threatening to run away with the game, and had us and India pinned in.
    DG7 (Greece) - I think we tried diplomatic, culture and spaceship on the same turn in this one. It might've been a time victory we were going for, too. (We did a 5 city challenge on this one).

donsig would remember that one well. Kept everyone waiting with that war at the end. :p

And the trade for medicine.... The Great Demogame Civil War! (not the one after we finished the game) This is where the phrases "A donsig PI" and "donsig for Chief Justice so he can reside over his own PI!" were coined.

18. Provolution

Well, then, we need to make a 3-way run-off under all circumstances, then make a dual run-off and then get a winner. I see three polls out of this.

19. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I thought in one of the later [civ3] games we accidentally won domination by miscalculating the number of tiles a captured city gave us, and then voting to keep it and take the "wrong" victory.

20. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

Gosh :crazyeye: Sigh :sad:

It is not necessary to three polls. We can just poll the three options once in another poll to get a winner. However, it does not mean that we have to win by that way.

As said in the first post,

These three choices have the most votes, and the others only had 1 or 2 each. As such, I feel that there is no need for the None of the Above choice in the next poll.

What do you guys think?