Victory conditions

sohvan

Chieftain
The manual had some interesting new things about victory conditions. Some things deepen the strategy, while some things seem a little disturbing. What does everyone else think about the new victory conditions?

Science victory
It wouldn't be a civ game without a ship to Alpha Centauri. Interestingly you need to move spaceship parts as units to your capital, which makes them vulnerable to enemy attack. Spaceship factory also requires aluminum, so a player going for Science Victory will have less aluminum to use on modern units. Capturing or pillaging their aluminum sources would also set their spaceship construction back. Defending your aluminum, your capital, and your spaceship parts is a must.

Diplomatic victory
This one seems to be very focused on making friends with city-states, and liberating destroyed civilizations and captured city-states.. Other players will likely want to capture your friendly city-states, while you'll need to defend them. A good alternative name would be "peacekeeper victory." Ironically having a strong army will be a necessity.

Cultural victory
It's hard to say how difficult it'll be to fully fill 5 policy trees until I actually play the game. The manual still mentions 6 as the requirement in a few places, but I'm guessing it was reduced to 5. Having a large empire will make achieving cultural victory more difficult, as the policy costs will be higher. Having fewer but bigger cities would seem to be key.

Domination victory
I'm really ambivalent about the implementation of domination victory this time around. "If you are the last player in possession of your own original capital you win. " This has some very weird effects, where a tiny civilization who has not waged a single war in the entire game could theoretically win by domination, or by just capturing a single city.

Let's say France has captured the capitals of 5 other civs in a 7 civ game, and England still has their capital. If any player now captures Paris, England will win without having lifted a finger. Obviously this makes Paris a city immune to attack from anyone except the english with smart players. I still think you should be forced to do some actual domination and conquest to achieve this victory.

I would prefer something like "Capture and hold all capital cities for N turns." or "Capture all capital cities, and hold or raze at least X*2 cities build by other players, where X is the number of civs at the start of the game."

i think a cultural victory will be easier to reach then a scientific one. Since i am used to play on huge maps with max civs, domination will be nigh to impossible to reach. This is to much dependant of number of civs.

Let's say France has captured the capitals of 5 other civs in a 7 civ game, and England still has their capital. If any player now captures Paris, England will win without having lifted a finger. Obviously this makes Paris a city immune to attack from anyone except the english with smart players. I still think you should be forced to do some actual domination and conquest to achieve this victory.

There's an example in manual, I've written what page in one thread, but can't remember which. Example says: For example you play 5 player based map and you capture 3 capitals and 5th civ captures your's and 5th civ wins. I can't wait to win domination because everybody else capture elses captures. Dual 1vs 1 is too easy I guess.:lol:

I really don't like the Diplomatic victory. It specifically states in the manual that a Civilization always votes for itself unless you liberate it (yes you can liberate civs too). Plus, you get a vote from every city state that you have the most influence over or have liberated. Thus, if you choose to play without City States, you cannot get a Diplomatic victory without going on the war path. That seems very wrong to me.

I really don't like the Diplomatic victory. It specifically states in the manual that a Civilization always votes for itself unless you liberate it (yes you can liberate civs too). Plus, you get a vote from every city state that you have the most influence over or have liberated. Thus, if you choose to play without City States, you cannot get a Diplomatic victory without going on the war path. That seems very wrong to me.

WHy is this wrong to you. Would US or UK vote for each other? No they wouldn't despite that they are allies. Its logic that they need smaller states to vote for them, sin't it? City-states represent small countries( like mine;)) that will never become superpowers and so they have to vote for bigger ones. What is wrong here?

I plan on turning off all victory conditions, if possible. I play Civilization to play Civilization, not to win a game of meeting arbitrary victory conditions.

WHy is this wrong to you. Would US or UK vote for each other? No they wouldn't despite that they are allies. Its logic that they need smaller states to vote for them, sin't it? City-states represent small countries( like mine;)) that will never become superpowers and so they have to vote for bigger ones. What is wrong here?

I agree. But just to confirm (I haven't gone through all the manual yet): A UN vote will be between 2 countries correct? In Civ 4, the vote is between the 2 largest counttries in terms of population. So if the vote is between the US and UK, then not, the UK would not vote for the US. However, working the diplo correctly, if Russia and Japan are friends with the UK, are you saying they would not vote for the UK? THey can't vote for themselves? Would they abstain?

I plan on turning off all victory conditions, if possible. I play Civilization to play Civilization, not to win a game of meeting arbitrary victory conditions.

This. I'll probably play it with victory conditions on a few times, just to try it. But my ideal for Civ is just to immerse myself in the game. Nothing more annoying than having a really interesting game wrecked by the fact you've got to that part of the tech tree, and now you have to concentrate on building this silly spaceship.

According to my Civ IV BtS game, my total finished games is... zero :)

This is what I'm going to do too.

I believe the UN vote is between all civs, not just 2. Builder of UN gets 1 extra vote.

Top Bottom