Victory for me at last (glorious me)

troytheface

Deity
Finally, after 6 attempts i won a diplomatic victory with 7 turns left until the end. (Regent-small map) I still have a hard time reaching higher techs tho. I read on this that some hit mech inf. at around 1700! How? I want to have a nuke dual at some point, but like I said, towards the middle of the modern my science dies....I will attempt a Regent Large map in the hopes that tech will get there....and another thing ...when the warrior hit the meter thing at the end it rated me as "Lincoln the Meek" .... but I won....meekly I assume....

Hi

well I'm a littlebit confused becose it's not that hard to reach high tech quickly... I'm not sure why you have problem with this but may be I can give you some advise that most experienced civ3 players would agree on (ecuse my english I speak French...)

First: build a library in every city, and as soon as possible a university to. That should help a great deal.

Second: build many city even if they have a lot of corruption becose a city that produce only a little is better then no city at all (many means many... everything depends on the size of the map but on a small map it I would say at least 50)

Third: War War War War War... and democracy... war is a great way to expend quickly even if you do not want a military victory and if you don't want to be savage, at least take a good governement... no communism for the peace like...

Four: American stink... choose a civ with a more scientific profile and a civ with a specific unit that come before the modern age. That should help you get a better start...

...and by the way, I'm not perfect but meek seems quite low...

Five: Build all wonders that give a bonus to science. Like Copernicus's observatory.

Six: in your major cities and most importantly in those with the wonders I talk above, place scientist. You can change them in the city view by removing citizen from the working squares, that gives you an entertainer that you'll need to change to a scientist by clicking on them. That should improve your city science's production.

Seven: Build the Piramids and Sun Tzu's Art of War. That has nothing to do with science but it will save you a lot of production in every city on the continent (no granary and no barrack to build). That way you can use that production to build other city improvement that help science sooner... (this trick works very well on a pangea world)

Height: May be the most important of all! In the domestic adviser window, there's 2 bars in the upper right conner of the screen. Use the upper one to boost the amount of ressorses you dedicate to science. This is highly important becose it will directly affect the number of turns needed to complete a new science...

Finaly try it and send me a feedback to let me know if everything went OK...
email: leecherfaction@hotmail.com
Thanks

What do you mean by " towards the middle of the modern my science dies"?
If you managed to stay even with the AI until modern you probably just forgot to build research centers? Or some Civ's died (see below)?

One important thing about science ist the number of AI's. The more AI's know a Tech the cheaper it will be for you to research it. This is one of the means of the game to equalize the productiviy bonus of the AI's on higher levels (but is also true on lower levels).
I've just won a emperor game on a standart map against 7 opponents, and I was only able to keep up with science early on because the Tech got so cheap.

The other very important thing is that you keep science funding near 100%

There are several means to achieve this:

1. Keep an eye on research time. A Tech needs a certain amount of science vials (I'm swiss german, I hope you get what I mean) which are produced in the citys. Let's say a Tech needs 200 vials and you have allready 199, all but one vials produced in the next round are lost!
So as soon as you only have one round left for a development, decrease science funding as long as you stay with 1 year research time left. This will get you amazing amounts of money!

2. Sell Techs! As soon as an AI has researched a Tech, it will sell it to all other AI's but not to you, you'll have to ask for it.
Of course you want to keep your advantage, so offer the Tech to the AI's and check the price they're willing to pay! If they will pay you 280 bucks per round they are not researching this Tech or just started. The closer an AI comes to the finishing of one Tech the less it will pay to you...
If you train yourself you will be able to sell your Tech just one turn before an AI gets it and sells it to the others.
I made about 500 bucks per turn and kept science spending at a 100% getting further and further ahead with science!
Be aware that some AI's are not intrested in some Techs like Spaceshiptechs, they will give you no money for it...

I hope this helps

Thanks for the replies (a frenchman and a swiss-I appreciate it guys) I will apply the advice given...right now i am in a regent game huge map but have only a few cities ....On another note .....Anyone know about the new patch or multi-player addition? I think human opponents would be alot more fun...at least if your losing you can try some kind of bargaining..

The problem is that MacSoft has no obligation to convert the new patch for Mac users:mad:
A guy called Brad is working for free on it and some weeks ago he announced that he will finish in some weeks, expect it in june.
Multiplayer will be includet in an expansion pack soon, but I don't think this pack will be available for Macs :rocket:

I've heard that MacIntosh wants to promote gaming, but I don't think things like this will draw gamers to macs...
I really like macs, but I'm really considering buying a PC instead. Considering that most computersales are due to the hardwareneeds of games only the current politics are obviously not the best....

You are so right, Shogoth. I am seriously considering a PC also. Having been a Mac user since 1985, I can tell you that this is a big wrench (and it will take some time to save up anyway).

It seems that the only thing that works is market penetration or a critical mass of gamers and that we Mac users do not have the clout to get the updates and patches. If you check out Infogrames' site for E3, you'll see that there is no mention of Civ3-Play the World as being available for the Macintosh. Also, I was eagerly awaiting the 'Starfleet Command-Empires at War' port to the Mac and it has just been cancelled due to complications with either the coding or the marketing agreement.

Can someone please remind me about the benefits of continuing to be a Mac gamer?

well the only real benefit to be a mac gamer that I can think about is that you can create a no cd patch easely for any game and that it is easer to find free game well ripped on warez...

Originally posted by Trabpukcip
well the only real benefit to be a mac gamer that I can think about is that you can create a no cd patch easely for any game and that it is easer to find free game well ripped on warez...

Do you hve a no cd patch for civ3? Man, I'd love to get my hands on one. My crumb-snatchers are sure to damage mine one day soon. If you do, post it some where. :goodjob:

Hi,
Just do what I did and create a disk image of your CD onto your hard drive and put the CD in a sfe place. As long as you open the disk image, the game believes that the CD is there. Also, I hear that it makes the game run a little faster (not sure about that, but it might do that..... It does keep my CD in perfect condition.

Originally posted by ferretloverdc
Hi,
Just do what I did and create a disk image of your CD onto your hard drive and put the CD in a sfe place. As long as you open the disk image, the game believes that the CD is there. Also, I hear that it makes the game run a little faster (not sure about that, but it might do that..... It does keep my CD in perfect condition.

You do not mean creating an alias do you?

I've tried making an image before using an application; however, I keep getting stumped along the way. There is a point where I do not understand how to complete the image (I keep getting windows where I choose what to copy and then after choosing I can't find how to finish it off). I'm not the brightest. If you do not mind, please private message me the steps or post them here.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ferretloverdc
Hi,

I've tried making an image before using an application; however, I keep getting stumped along the way. There is a point where I do not understand how to complete the image (I keep getting windows where I choose what to copy and then after choosing I can't find how to finish it off). I'm not the brightest. If you do not mind, please private message me the steps or post them here.

Thanks.

Sorry for high-jacking the thread. :(

Originally posted by dojoboy

Thanks.

No, not an alias. A Disk Image. The reason I do this instead of "Toasting" a copy is that this way I can put other CDs in my drive and don't have to go looking for them, and if it *does* make the game faster - I am all for it! It does take up about 600MB of space for the Image, but I have a 60GB HD and still have about 20-25GB unused, so it isn't a problem.

Here is how you do it:

1) Open Disk Copy
2) Select Image and select New Image From Device
3) It will list Disk 0, Disk 1 (possibly more I guess)
4) Click on the arrow by Disk 1. You will see Disk1s1 CD_ROM_Mode_1
5) click on CD_ROM_Mode_1
6) Click "Image"
7) Name the Image the *exact* same name as the CD - as it displays on your Hard Drive

You will create a Disk Image of the CD.

8) eject the CD and put it away.
9) Double-click on the Disk Image - this will mount the image (this may take a while).
10) play the game. The mounted Image acts as if the CD is in the drive.

NOTE: This will NOT work on all CDs. Some are copy-protected. Using this to get around any copy-protection (such as the copy-protection on Civ III that checks to see if the CD is there), is a violation of the DMCA and technically a crime. Not a very sane law, but a law nonetheless. For more info on the DMCA and digital rights, check out http://www.eff.org/

(I am not affiliated with the EFF, but I do believe in what they are doing to reverse the DMCA and other laws that infringe on the consumer's right to make fair-use copies of his own digital property)

Good luck!

I completely understand your frustration when it comes to mac vs. PC gaming. I have both, but I refuse to buy PC versions any more in order to support platforms other than Windows. Mac gaming is really just getting off the ground in the past couple years, before that it was hardly an option. I just want to ask everyone to consider sticking with the Mac, we all know it's the better platform. The more users there are buying Mac copies of games, the more support and attention we will get in the future from game developers. As for macsoft, I share your frustration with the lack of support, and I have written them about it. If you have complaints, don't hesitate to make them known! If you silently give up on Mac gaming, it will only go downhill from there.

I would encourage every Mac user to write them and make your dislike of the situation with Brad known. To expect him to port these patches and the editor on his own time and with no compensation is outrageous, especially when the editor was advertised as included in the box. Perhaps if we make ourselves heard, we can help get Brad some support (and money wouldn't hurt, eh? ;) )

Thanks Brad for all your hard work!

Joe

(Insert clever sig here)

You're right. I did send off an email to <macsoftgames@mac.com>
Main text was:

"My reason for writing is that I am very displeased with your lack of customer information regarding:

1. The new 1.21 patch for Mac OS X;
2. Where is the Editor?;
3. Why are there no announcements at E3 regarding the Civ3:play the World expansion for the Macintosh?"

I hope that as many other Macgamers as possible do the same.

Top Bottom