Victory Movies

JustATourist

Lost in Translation
I decided to make a new thread for this. Not all victory movies for Civ4 are very good, for example the movie for the Domination Victory is quite disappointing, and some movies even don't exist like for Diplomatic or Religious Victory. I think it is time do something about this.

Finished Movies so far:
(It's not much, but perhaps there will be more soon. For example Arian is thinking about a Religious Movie.)

Alternative Movie for Domination Victory

Constructive feedback is wellcome.

I have two questions too:

1. If I create a movie for Diplomatic Victory, will it be enough to link the file in the xmls, or is it nessessary to do some changes in the phyton code, so the movie will be displayed?

2. I am thinking about to replace the written text in the Domination Movie with spoken text. What would you people prefer? And is there somebody out there with a very clear english pronunciation, who would be intrested in doing the voice art for this?

Screenshots? :) Could you also post screenshots of the defaults as well, for comparison?

I recently won a diplomatic victory (I have no idea why, I was the main cause of global warming ;) but enough civs voted for me to win :lol:). Anyway the screen was pretty disappointing, just my leader surrounded by the other leaders, with a UN (I think) picture in the background.

A movie with a dove or something would be way cooler.

How do you make the movies, do you render them in a 3D program, or are they real videos?

- Oh and to answer your questions, I'm not so sure about the XML stuff as I haven't looked at the victory movies yet. Also, my english is good, but I don't think it's that clear (people are always asking me what I just said on the phone). Also, I have an Australian accent. ;)

I had an idea for a Religious Victory Movie as well if you need a concept. You start with the Found Religion table clip but the bare template without anything on the table that specifies a specific religion. Then you have a flash of light and fade into the globe from the CivIV vanilla intro movie with the pinpoints of light showing up across the world. Then fade to white again, and it's over. Baba Yetu would make good background music as it's the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.

An Economic Victory and Diplomatic Victory Movie are also desperately needed methinks.

Well, I think, I will work on an Diplomatic Movie first and perhaps a new Space Race Movie. Perhaps Arian will do the Religious one? :)

@ Chuggi: Actually I do my movies by stealing scenes from different sources and reedit them. It difficult to explain it exactly and screenshots won't be very expressive, but I can see, what I can do. To get an idea it would be best to download the RAD video tool and watch both, the old one and the new one.

I have a strong accent too, that's why I am looking for someone else to do the voice art. If it would be in my native language it would be something different...

@ Vrenir: The founding religions movies are nif files no real movies, so it would be complicated to convert and use it.

As requested, I made some screenshots of the vanilla and the alternative movie. Not really expressive, but here they are:

If I may, some of the text seems a little off, probably as a result of translation from a different language (am I right?). Here are my suggestions:

You have now crushed the last oppositions - You could just remove the "s" from "oppositions", but I think it would sound smoother if it said something like "You have crushed your last opponents". There's a few ways you could take this.

Your empire is the greatest around the world - "...in the world" is more common terminology.

Its soldiers bravery is at your command - There should be an apostrophe after "soldiers", but the whole sentence sounds awkward at least to me. "Its soldiers' bravery is at your command"... Perhaps "Its brave soldiers await your orders"?

Your armies undefeatable - Should be "Your army is undefeatable" or "Your armies are undefeatable". Also, Firefox seems to think "undefeatable" isn't a word. Consider "unbeatable" or "invincible".

The press is under your control - Flawless.

The remaining leaders do obey your words - Remove the redundant "do" and possibly consider an alternative for "words". Perhaps "commands" or "orders".

Everything after that is fine. Great movie, btw.

Of course you may Dryhad, thanks for your comments. Of course I am no native english speaker, and I don't mind constructive criticism.

Both "Its soldiers'..." and "Your army..." are quotations from the victory movie of another game. I will add an apostrophe and an "are", but I don't want to chance the sentence more than that. I will upload a corrected version soon.

Edit: Done

Both "Its soldiers'..." and "Your army..." are quotations from the victory movie of another game. I will add an apostrophe and an "are", but I don't want to chance the sentence more than that. I will upload a corrected version soon.
Just because it comes from a game doesn't mean it's written in proper English... there's an awful lot of bad "Engrish" in games... some bad Engrish games even become legendary.

I have an interesting idea for a Conquest victory movie. Do you know the EA Game Command & Conquer Generals? There are quite a few cut scenes of tanks, helicopter, gunships, airplanes bombing etc, that could be edited to create the ultimate conquest movie showing an army at war. Then at the end you can steal video from the Chinese Parade in one of the missions as well as from the American Victory parade at the end of the American missions...

I have an interesting idea for a Conquest victory movie. Do you know the EA Game Command & Conquer Generals? There are quite a few cut scenes of tanks, helicopter, gunships, airplanes bombing etc, that could be edited to create the ultimate conquest movie showing an army at war. Then at the end you can steal video from the Chinese Parade in one of the missions as well as from the American Victory parade at the end of the American missions...

Those scenes aren't prerendered video files, which can be viewed with any software outside the game. Instead these scenes are generated by scripts with the game engine and ingame models.

Well, in the vanilla conquest victory movie is a helicopter too. :) Btw, I think it is the best movie of the vanilla movies.

Top Bottom