Victory Type Discussion

Pokefenn

Chieftain
So yeah, i noticed there was no threads specifically talking about the victory types of Beyond Earth, so i might as well do one :p

There are 5 victory types in Beyond Earth, one for each affinity, and two separate.

Supremacy victory (Emancipation):
This victory involves creating a warpgate to earth, and then either "emancipating" the inhabitants of earth of their lives, or conquering the planet. Some sources have said one and some have said the other.

Purity victory (The promised lands):
You create a warpgate (the same one as the supremacy one, i presume) and then bring the inhabitants back to earth. For this to work, it is presumed that you will have to 'change' the planet into a suitable place for humans to actually live.

Harmony victory (Transcendence):
This victory is a call back to Alpha Centuari. In this victory type you find out the planet is actually alive, in a sense. And you then transcend into conscience of the planet. Technology will be needed to create the thing to communicate with the planet.

Domination victory:
Same as all civ games, you need to conquer all other civilizations (Presuming it works the same as Civ5BNW)

Contact victory:
Another victory type that is apart from the affinities. This one involves communicating with intelligent aliens, this involves creating and defending a beacon.

Apparently all of these victory types are very involved, and more than just "build this" or do this. And will also require things like "Do this quest and defend this". From most of the victory types, it sounds like defending will be very prominent and needed to protect the major points of the victory (Like the beacon and warpgates)

One preview, I forget which one, described the Purity victory as having to protect and settle a certain number of Settler units coming through the warp gate. But yes, the developers have said that you will be starting your path to victory about half-way through the game making the victories a much more involved procedure than in Civ V.

One preview, I forget which one, described the Purity victory as having to protect and settle a certain number of Settler units coming through the warp gate. But yes, the developers have said that you will be starting your path to victory about half-way through the game making the victories a much more involved procedure than in Civ V.

Hum, if Purity is going to requiring using inbound units from the warp gate, then Supremacy is likely to require sending outbound units thru them.

Which leads me to think Purity may require you to control ~30-60% of the map
(Essentially an old fashioned Domination Victory).. to settle all the settlers.

Hum, if Purity is going to requiring using inbound units from the warp gate, then Supremacy is likely to require sending outbound units thru them.

Yes that has been confirmed. Will Miller specifically said you have to sacrifice a large chunk of your military to feed the warp gate.

Here is the interview:

So for the Purity player, you build a warp gate and bring settlers from Earth to the new world, and you have to protect them, settle a certain number of them, find space for them. There's a territorial problem you have to work out, which obviously causes conflict. That's one of your real-life conflicts today—that's the Israeli/Palestinian conflict right there. The flipside of that is what we call the Emancipation victory. That's the Supremacy victory where you build the warp gate to send troops through it to conquer Earth. So you have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your army to feed the warp gate while you're protecting yourself and protecting it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...rths-designer-takes-humanitys-story-to-space/

Which leads me to think Purity may require you to control ~30-60% of the map
(Essentially an old fashioned Domination Victory).. to settle all the settlers.

Me thinks you might be right in that assumption.

Now that I think of it, that would be a compelling reason NOT to allow the possibility of founding colonies at sea with normal 'settlers'.

Yeah, plop the settlers down in a floating cities near the coast of large land mass; rush build / buy cultural buildings to facilitate rapidly expanding borders; park a few battleships and carriers nearby so nobody gets any funny ideas; victory dance.

Now that I think of it, that would be a compelling reason NOT to allow the possibility of founding colonies at sea with normal 'settlers'.

Well if settlers are allowed in the Oceans, Purity would then need a significant % of the entire world, rather than just the land.

(And I don't see sea cities as being easier to defend... especially as compared to land cities with railroads)

[also, I'm hoping the "refugee settlers" from Earth don't give cities just terrain improvements that you must protect]

Supremacy victory (Emancipation):
This victory involves creating a warpgate to earth, and then either "emancipating" the inhabitants of earth of their lives, or conquering the planet. Some sources have said one and some have said the other.

Aren't they one and the same - just a difference of perspective? While the "conquer the planet" leaders are very dangerous, I find the "emancipate the inhabitants of earth of their lives" leaders to be far scarier. Blatant, obvious warmongers are nothing compared to "True Believers" (to steal a term from Serenity) who think what they're doing is what's best for their victims.

I hope the additional actions for victory condition play differently enough, since at their very core they all seem an equivalent of Science Victory. Sure, all VCs in BNW are dependent on science to some degree, but in BE it seems much more pronounced - get the tech for warpgate or get the tech for transcendence or get the tech for contact and build the win condition.

I hope that contact and transcendce victories, since the details about them are scarcer than about rest, also have some interesting secondary conditions, similar to settling from Purity and conquest of Earth from Supremacy.

And on that note a silly though struck me - it would be fun if in situation where 2 players have warpgates - one for Purity and one for Supremacy, the units of Supremacy player could show up in pursuit after settlers.

I hope that contact and transcendce victories, since the details about them are scarcer than about rest, also have some interesting secondary conditions, similar to settling from Purity and conquest of Earth from Supremacy.

The article Karl posted said that the transcendence victory involves building structures and having to "protect them and turn them on and devote resources that you would otherwise be devoting to your cities." so they're either wonders or improvements that are built and protected in order to win as Harmony. I do wonder what Contact involves doing.

Why does everyone assume the settlers pouring through the gate will be these units we can control to build cities?

With the new "station" mechanic, such assumptions are a thing of the past. As settlers pour through the gates, they will stake out every piece of available land for their semi-independent station. An objective that was once one-dimensionally about wiping out your enemies to provide room for building new cities and creating some sort of uber empire becomes a complex balancing act.

You, glorious leader, must fight external enemies to clear space for new stations near your empire's borders if you have any hope of bringing them into the fold while simultaneously using every trick at your disposal to keep this heterogenous and changing society cohesive and united. Spies to propagandize station populations as to the benefits of your rule, soldiers to provide "safety" for those closer to the wild, and maybe even bags of gold in the dark to change a few key minds knowing all the while your enemies might be doing the same.

This whole victory condition is, in my mind, very analogous to the Revolutionary, and possibly Industrial period in American History.

And on that note a silly though struck me - it would be fun if in situation where 2 players have warpgates - one for Purity and one for Supremacy, the units of Supremacy player could show up in pursuit after settlers.

That might turn out to be a rather short pursuit for the chasing robots/cyborgs. They wind up in the middle of a well-guarded facility at the heart of their nemesis' territory.

Top Bottom