Video Card Upgrade for Laptop?

elfangor801

So cold....
I have an HP Pavillion zv5160us with a 128 MB ATI Video Card. I got Battlefield 2 a little bit ago, and I can't play it...basically I need a better video card, but the good folks at HP say you can't upgrade laptop's video cards. Is there a way it could be done at a computer shop (i.e. Geek Squad)? I don't know how the insides of the computer work but I'm assuming it's built onto the motherboard or something.

I'm pretty sure that the 'video cards' are integrated onto the motherboard. So in order to replace it you'd have to tear a chunk of your motherboard apart and hope you got everything. Easier to get another laptop, IMO.

Normally, I don't appreciate what HP Support has to say, but in this case they're right.

Turner_727 said:
I'm pretty sure that the 'video cards' are integrated onto the motherboard. So in order to replace it you'd have to tear a chunk of your motherboard apart and hope you got everything. Easier to get another laptop, IMO.

Well, that's why I was saying I'd take it to a professional computer place. And can't you buy new motherboards?

Turner_727 said:
Normally, I don't appreciate what HP Support has to say, but in this case they're right.

I've actually found them to be really, really good, I love the 24 hour chat support thing.

Well, that's why I was saying I'd take it to a professional computer place. And can't you buy new motherboards?

For desktops, yeah. Laptops are *highly* customized... they're quite different for each manufacturer. You *might* get your motherboard upgraded at your vendor, but I think they'll tell you to trade-in your current one for a newer model. I'll say the same too.

Well, they stuff the laptop's motherboard like sardines its quite difficult to upgrade them.

Top Bottom