video cards that dosent make probs

aargov

Chieftain
hi
i have p 4 2.6 c and 9600 pro and my comp keeps locking up/freezing
is there a video card that works fine with this game?
i mean that not a single user with this video card ever stumbled upon this problems
i know that nvidia 6800 card is causing problems too
so if i wanna upgrade which card should i get in order to play civ 4 trouble free?
thanks for your help!

From my own experience, a nvidia series 6 card should be fine. Like you mentioned though best stay clear of the 6800 for the time being. So either a card from a 256mb 6200 to a 256mb 6600 should work fine. Just be sure you have sufficent power to supply these cards.

I don't think it's your ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (I assume that's what you meant) that's the problem, unless it doesn't have much memory on it; my 256MB Radeon 9600 handles the game without any problems.

As such, it may very well be some other aspect of your system that's causing problems. Going by how your game freezes up during play, it seems just as likely to me that your problem is not enough system RAM, as opposed to your video card.

How much RAM do you have? Before I upgraded from my 64MB Radeon 7000 and 512MB RAM, to my 256MB Radeon 9600 and 1.5GB RAM, I experienced the same problem with lock-ups. Seeing as how the Radeon 7000 could actually run the game (albeit at the lowest resolution, and no anti-alias), I tend to think that the additional gigabyte of RAM is what took care of the freezing issue for me.

It's at least worth some consideration, since you can get a 1GB stick of RAM for cheaper than it would be to upgrade your video card.

Zanmato said:
From my own experience, a nvidia series 6 card should be fine. Like you mentioned though best stay clear of the 6800 for the time being. So either a card from a 256mb 6200 to a 256mb 6600 should work fine. Just be sure you have sufficent power to supply these cards.

I don't know if it's my video card, but I'm having stuttering movies (all of them) with an nVidia 6200 TurboCache 128.

jwildstr said:
I don't know if it's my video card, but I'm having stuttering movies (all of them) with an nVidia 6200 TurboCache 128.

There is a couple of things you could try:
Display Control Panel > Settings > Advanced > GeForce 6200 > Image Quality Settings - Image Quality switch to Performance, Antialising off.
Civ4.ini tweaks - Bink16bit = 1, AllowScreenshots = 1. All other Bink related switches set on 0.

You could also try increasing the AGP aperture in the BIOS, although I doubt this will have much effect on the overall performance.

If you're still having trouble there are some low-res movies on the official Civ4 site.

Zanmato said:
There is a couple of things you could try:
Display Control Panel > Settings > Advanced > GeForce 6200 > Image Quality Settings - Image Quality switch to Performance, Antialising off.
Civ4.ini tweaks - Bink16bit = 1, AllowScreenshots = 1. All other Bink related switches set on 0.

You could also try increasing the AGP aperture in the BIOS, although I doubt this will have much effect on the overall performance.

If you're still having trouble there are some low-res movies on the official Civ4 site.

I'll try the first, but I think I've tried everything else. It's dual-core system, so it seems like horsepower shouldn't be an issue, but I don't know how much is offloaded to the graphics subsystem. It's also a PCIE card, so there's not AGP aperture to work with.

Anyone have a fix for the ATI Radeon 9550?

I have an AMD Althalon 64 3200+ and 512 megs of RAM.

It blacks out, the game keeps runnning, but everything turns black except the cursor arrow.

Very frustrating.

no videoissues, except so-so performance, with my radeon 9700

I'm using GeForce FX5200 ultimate 128 MB with Intel Celeron D 2,66 Ghz, 512 MB RAM and the game runs fine except the choppy intro video. But the wonder movies still running smoothly

Top Bottom