Video of new Steam Controller playing Civ V

yep, turn based games are completely fine with this controller. I would not play FPS games, as you can see on the video, player has to lift the finger & go back when he reaches end of the square area.

It's a discredit to Civ 5 that, as a game, it's apparently as shallow as Revolutions.

I think you are being silly.

This controller is supposed to do everything a PC keyboard and mouse can do. The new Valve system that the controller is for is basically just a high-end PC draped in 'Steam OS'. It's not meant to be a silly console PC.

You are right, it's just a silly console. Apparently Valve couldn't resist dipping it's toes in the console water, after all, dominating the PC game market isn't enough. They have to * with the console market as well.

Cheers! :)

You are right, it's just a silly console. Apparently Valve couldn't resist dipping it's toes in the console water, after all, dominating the PC game market isn't enough. They have to * with the console market as well.

Cheers! :)

Eh... the computing powers of most consoles (which are just reduced power PCs dressed up to look cool) is pretty ridiculous compared to what the computing power of the Steam OS PCs that Valve is lending out to select beta testers. Which is the reason for my early remark (i.e. we won't get dumbed down versions of PC games). So this new controller is just controversy (marketing, since we all love these controllers to use with our PCs for console-esque gaming).

Personally, I think there's two outcomes--1. Valve challenges the dominance of the traditional stunted-PC consoles by proving that a better experience can be had through traditional PC architecture, or 2. Valve really just tries to be greedy and come up with one more proprietary title console (i.e. yet another stunted PC). Or 3., it's a stunt to demonstrate that there's no reason to mess around with a Xbox-w/e or a PSx solely for the living room console experience. This is not a new trend. Microsoft has been doing the same with Windows live (trying to merge PC/Xbox experience). PC/Console division will continue to be blurred one way or another---either through gaming/internet tablets or through more modular PC consoles. It makes more sense to promote it on the open architecture of custom PC builds rather than the closed architecture of stunted PCs), because of upgradeability and greater obsolence/redundancy of closed architecture systems (how many game boy, sega, whatevers to you own at same time?).

It's really nothing but simple market expansion with a degree of genius (at least in technology, economics, and marketing). It's not really anything 'new' but a trend that Steam and others have been following for years.

If Valve doesn't promote this attack on the console/pc barrier, I imagine that Microsoft eventually will succeed (maybe 10 tries later lol) in breaking the console/PC barrier. I'd say that Microsoft is eyeing Steam OS, and probably will attempt a competing platform in the future. It's Sony's problem (and probably financial problems as a whole) that maybe keeping them from getting in on this earlier.

To totally sum this up: Valve is for now championing open architecture PC over proprietary closed/stunted PC, and saying you can be an open architecture gamer, who sits at a couch rather than desk, and you can do it with a custom controller that has most of the power/control of keyboard/dual joystick controls (meaning hotkeys, mouse-like responsiveness, and dual-stick responsiveness). But who knows, maybe Valve will turn to dark-side (stunted, proprietary, closed architecture) with STEAM-OS only releases, and annual subscription fees.

Top Bottom