Video Preview of Civilization Board Game

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Ginger_Ale, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

...which was inspired by the board game.

Someone needs to brush up on their gaming history.

2. R0GERSHRUBBER

R0GERSHRUBBER Shrubber

Within the board gaming enthusiastic community (i.e. Board Game Geek), the Eagle Games version had a very poor reception. Meanwhile, another Civilization-clone (Through the Ages) is the 4th highest ranked board game of all time on the site. However, demos of the Fantasy Flight game have gone pretty well and the game is highly anticipated. I am delaying getting Through the Ages to try out the new Civilization.

It's probably safe to say that the Fantasy Flight Civilization will be much better than the Eagle Games version. What remains to be seen is whether the former is a better Civ experience than Through the Ages.

3. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

With a bit of tape and a few paperclips.

4. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Neat.

I'd been looking for a new boardgame to try with some of my friends. This would be perfect.

I always wondered how they'd do a tech tree in a Civ boardgame. I'll have to look up some of the older versions and see how they did it as well.

5. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

My bro already got a copy at the Essen games fair (Germany).

Feel free to mod it. Rhye did a great job doing just that with Civilization the Boardgame (and it needed it, unlike this version).

Yes. Everything else is very much CiV (icons, illustrations, etc).

Leaders don´t really play a part. (Something to mod?)

There aren´t that many components, though it´s handy to have a box with trays for em.

Basically, there isn´t any AI - just the players and the rules. No trading posts, just (city) components you can build around your cities.

Through the Ages is the civilization board game - but it takes many more hours to complete. This one can be played in one day tops.

My bro and I did a trial game on last Saturday evening-Sunday morning. (He won - he´s more of a boardgamer than I am and owns tons of em.) ;)

6. Fool Inc.

Fool Inc. Back from the Dead

The wiki site says that Sid may or may not have been influenced by the game.

7. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

So, there's a Civ board game, what's the point of Civ V's existence then?

8. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I see what u did there.

9. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Wow!
    A true CivRev2.0!
    Not just CivRev1.5.

10. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Through the Ages can be played in two-three hours.:confused:

11. R0GERSHRUBBER

R0GERSHRUBBER Shrubber

Through the Ages' duration basically scales linearly with the number of players. Two hours for a two player game is reasonable for experiences players. For four players it's more likely about four hours. As I understand, the new Civilization should be a bit shorter, but in the same ballpark. Although 3 hours is the duration listed on the box for the Eagle Games version, I've heard that's not possible, and the game is more likely 4-6 hours. (It's not unusual for game publishers to low-ball game durations on the box.)

That said, if you have the time, it's the Civ experience as JEELEN claimed. I've played it about 5 times now and was a heartbeat away from getting before I heard about the new Civilization board game by Fantasy Flight. I'm not crazy about FF board games--they're too luck driven in general--but the lead designer has some cred, so I'll hold out for a chance to play the game before I decide whether to pick up this game or Through the Ages.

If you do own a copy of the Eagle Games version, definitely check out Rhye's variant. It looks great, and I've heard good things.

12. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

The last time we played Avalon Hill's Civlization/Adavanced Civilization was about 7 years ago. Day after Thanksgiviing; six players; 14 hours; newbie won the game as Egypt. Lots of fun, but way too long. Started at 2 pm on Friday, finished at 4am on Saturday.

Now we play a lot of Settlers of Catan which can take about 4 to 5 hours as we play the game (6 players, a meal, chit-chat, etc).

A new Civ game....:eek:

My wife would have to agree, first. I do plan to check into this further.

13. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Bruce (EDIT: Brian?) Reynolds developed the game for Avalon Hill and was part of the computer game process, but I am hazy on the exact details.

Civilization was the first complex/adult level board game I could convince my wife to play twice! And she loved it.

14. remake20

remake20 :)

On the FF website it says it takes 3-4 hours to play a game.

15. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Did they bring back unit stacking and tech trading? I didn't like that about Civ V.

16. anti_strunt

anti_strunt Warlord

This'll be good... Half of our regular AH Civ crew is out of the country, so a smaller game should be just what we need...

17. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

I've never met anyone who thought he wasn't inspired by the board game.

18. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

It's reassuring that it's Fantasy Flight who have done this rather than anyone else. They did an excellent job with taking on the Cosmic Encounter franchise. :goodjob:

No it costs significantly less. See here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-Board-Game/dp/1589949358/

19. Musketeer935

Musketeer935 AoEIII Fan

I think I'll stick with Risk; if I want to play Civ, that is and should be something for the computer.

There's a certain level of complexity where it is just a lot cleaner looking, less space consuming, and easier (Don't have to learn 8 billion little rules) to play on the computer.

20. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Nicely stated.

Could Civ5 carry this to a board game renaissance?