Video Preview of Civilization Board Game

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Fantasy Flight Games, creator of the upcoming Civilization: The Board Game, has posted a video preview highlighting the making of this tabletop game, including footage of the game being played and interviews with its designers. For those unfamiliar, here is how the game is described:

Designed by Kevin Wilson, Civilization: The Board Game is inspired by the legendary video game series created by Sid Meier. Players are tasked with guiding an entire civilization throughout the ages, taking ownership of your people’s technology, economy, culture, and military, as well as all the choices that go along with them. There are four different paths to victory, and each is riddled with opposition.

In Civilization: The Board Game, 2-4 players take on the roles of famous leaders in charge of historical civilizations, each with their own abilities. Players will be able to explore a module game board, build cities and buildings, fight battles, research powerful technology, and attract great people by advancing their culture. No matter what your play style is, there is a civilization for you!

Thanks to Kai at civilized.de for the news tip!

You do know there have been two previous Civilization Board Games, right?

Anyway, 4 player limit bites. The Eagle Games board game allowed 6 players.

I told my fiance that I want to get it. Maybe finally, she will see civilization for what it is, a fun addictive game! The good thing is she likes to play board games, so I am hoping she'll like it. Any chance of this coming out for X-mas?

Looks Great
I Like the Tech Paramid Idea over the Tech Tree
I totally want to get it, and play a 1v1 versus my best friend who is a GIANT Civ Fanatic, and got me on the Game.
Although, the Fog of war is different, because EVERYONE sees it, instead of just you.
takes off Trading Maps

I'll buy it. Just need to find someone to play with....

The leaders look like Rev leaders, and the terrain looks like IV terrain.

Looks cool... but it costs more than civ 5 :confused: Will it be worth it then?

Loading times are bad. Lots of small components. Wicked fun game though, even with just 2 players. The way they worked culture in with event cards you can trade is quite nice. Vaguely similar to Social Policy tree except you accumulate more rewards over the course of one game, rather than simple bonuses to doing certain activities.

Nice rules explanation and analysis of the game here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/577584/first-2-player-game-and-rules-explanations

How's the AI coming along? I bet it's even worse than in Civ5! And then it's bad. At least the map will look the same as in Civ5 or better, with static, dead and lifeless, chunks of plastic! Yay! Hope they lose the trading posts in this release though.

Here's a good way to play "multiplayer" I guess considering all the complaints with Civ 5 multiplayer.

The Eagle Games version is a lot better and I used to love playing it. The board is HUGE and the game is very good IMO but games to me, took days, even weeks. It was fun, just very time consuming.

The Eagle Games version is a lot better and I used to love playing it. The board is HUGE and the game is very good IMO but games to me, took days, even weeks. It was fun, just very time consuming.
I personally didn't find the Eagles Games version very fun--the rules weren't very elegant and the game took too long for what it was. It also lacked tension and fell into Monopoly-syndrome near the end, where you KNOW who the winner is but you're just waiting for the time to tick by. I only played it twice, and I never want to play it again. Unless I am paid much in cash to play it, lol. :)

The Fantasy Flight game has more elegant components and design mechanics that all work together. Check out the preview on Fantasy Flight Games' official website about the economic/coin victory and how it ties to technology. I think some people will be quite pleased with how they connect.

dammit I can't see youtube at work =/ Is there an estimated release date?

Top Bottom