Video recording problem: No sound

Rheinmetall

Interplanetary Assassin
I have an ATI AllInWonder Radeon and I'm trying to save some films from my old VHS tapes to DVD. The problem is that I can't get sound with the video. Video comes through a composite cable OK. I've got audio connected to soundcard LineIn and it comes through OK, it's just not getting recorded with the video. I've tried ATI's own TV-recorder program and NeroVision Express 2. I've set them to record audio from the LineIn but still nothing.

This thing's really getting on me nerves so please help!:cry:

Suggest you check the Line In cable to make sure there is audio coming down it.

Also, is there a Line In on the ATI card? Maybe you can plug in there.

I believe there is an option to change the record from device in Windows Control Panel, but I'm switched if I can find it right now (currently not in XP).

Looks like Rheinmetall has set the hardware up correctly... and configured the TV capture program as well.

I think next thing to check is to see if your system volume control... check if Line-in is muted or not, and its volume setting.

LineIn is not muted. Checked it too. I also tried to record sound only with windows sound recorder and it worked OK.

@CryddyLeper
Yes you can feed sound to ATI too but you still need an output plug from ATI to soundcard because the videocard cannot handle sound. I just decided to skip that and plug the audio directly to soundcard.

This might be a driver related problem. Maybe the VDM capture driver or the video encoder.

OK, just use sound recorder from the Start>All Programs>Accessories>Entertainment to test that you can get sound coming down the Line In.

Also, make sure you are using the right socket - some motherboards have a dedicated line-in socket, others re-use the rear speaker sockets and you have to go on with stereo sound.

Ideally, use SPDIF IN from a digital amp to record perfect surround sound - but very few motherboards have that. And of course you'd need a digital output from your TV source as well.

CruddyLeper said:
OK, just use sound recorder from the Start>All Programs>Accessories>Entertainment to test that you can get sound coming down the Line In.

This works.

CruddyLeper said:
Also, make sure you are using the right socket - some motherboards have a dedicated line-in socket, others re-use the rear speaker sockets and you have to go on with stereo sound.

I have a separate philips soundcard. Mic In/Line In/Front Out/Back Out/SPDIF Out

OK. How about you multitask? Use a seperate recorder program (not the Windows one, it won't record a long enough sample) to grab the sound and then the regular ATI software to grab the picture?

Trouble is, you'll need some sort of video edit software to splice the two together. :(

EDIT: Maybe check out ATI.com to see if there's any software upgrades or seperate programs? Ones supplied are often dated.

The ones supplied didn't work well. When I used the TV-tuner first time about 1,5 years back the problem was in the bug with DirectX 9. It was a struggle but I got it to work.

I've been downloading the new drivers & software, but it'll take time with 56K. I'll try again when it's all upgraded. About 70MB worth DL.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rheinmetall said:
I have a separate philips soundcard. Mic In/Line In/Front Out/Back Out/SPDIF Out
whats your phillips card(model). I sometimes have problems like this with mine where the drivers crash but just putting the cd back in fixes them

Top Bottom