1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Videogamer GDC Article

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ShahJahanII, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/civili...v_gods_and_kings_details_revealed_at_gdc.html
    New details on there way from GDC, including:
    *The British get an extra spy
    *The Pictish warrior gains faith from kills
    *There are three tiers of spy; Recruit, Agent and Special Agent.
    *Merchant city states have also been added, which give exclusive resources to their allies - such a jewellery.
    *You can select your Pantheon when you reach 10 faith, which should only take a few turns.
    *Firaxis has slowed down the pace of combat on the whole, believing that combat was unfolding too quickly in vanilla Civilization V.

2. PSPSoldier534

PSPSoldier534 Chieftain

*Not every civilization will be able to make a religion. In a game with about 10 civs, only about 5 will start a religion.

3. Prince ByTor

Prince ByTor Chieftain

It's pretty cool that they limited the number of religions based on the number of civs in the game. It would be really stupid if every civ had a different religion and everyone hated each other. So good thinking on that one!

I don't understand the logic of giving the British, out of all the civs, an extra spy. Unless they name it James Bond...

When it says that Merchant CSs give jewelry, does that mean jewelry is treated as a luxury resource for happiness?

I'm really liking these new details!

4. turingmachine

turingmachine Chieftain

Francis Walsingham and espionage under Elizabeth I most likely (and of course James Bond, The Avengers... there's a long history in pop culture associating espionage with the British). I don't really see the problem with adding a spy focus to their UA.

5. stlh2opolo

stlh2opolo Chieftain

My top 3, in no particular order:

Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about that last one, except for it reveals more about pictish warriors.

Sad I didn't see anything about a longer Classical Era, though. :(

6. Simplicity4

Simplicity4 Chieftain

Sounds great, although the combat unfolding too quickly... Really? Maybe I'll believe it when I play it. The biggest problem I've seen with the higher levels of play in this game is the fact that combat goes on forever. Slowing it down doesn't seem like the solution (unless endless wars are fixed finally).

The transition between musketmen->riflemen->infantry usually goes way too quickly in my games, and I guess the new units could fall in there and slow that down that tech advance toward the end.

7. Yngvi

Yngvi Chevalier du Tastevin

"Great War Era"? Is that a new era between the industrial and the modern?

8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

What's really odd is that it's being called the British, not the English.

9. King William I

King William I Chieftain

The MI6 are (in pop culture in my town at least) like the CIA and the KGB rolled in to one

10. chazzycat

chazzycat Chieftain

i have no problem with the extra spy...c'mon, james bond. also look up ww2, their espionage efforts were pretty impressive.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

That's "era" in lower case. Probably just the choice of words of the previewer, and not an actual "Era" in the game.

Again, this is probably just the preview writer's choice of words.

And yes, Walsingham was essentially the first spymaster.

12. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

The extra spy will be very significant, you only get one per era from when the first person enters the rennaisance. I presume this is replacing the Sun Never Sets UA

13. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

14. chazzycat

chazzycat Chieftain

@ Pouakai

I would be somewhat disappointed if that replaces the entire UA, what with the naval aspect being played up. Maybe there will be another component (something with admirals?)

15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

Maybe they changed the English UA to "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy".

16. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

Keep in mind that this was a presentation (according to the blogger) not a playthrough, so likely they didn't show the whole tech tree, and he likely added emphasis (Great War Era) without realizing what we think it would mean (the 2 wars weren't an 'era', just a period of mass warfare).

plus, he mentioned it was a demo (in the religion section), so who knows what marketing actually setup.

But there are still some good tidbits in there (Mark V Tank - new UU maybe?).

17. Prince ByTor

Prince ByTor Chieftain

England's extra spy has got to be on top of their existing UA. The phrase, 'The sun never sets on the British empire' is such a defining quality for them, I can't even imagine another name for their UA.

18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

I'm just kidding around when I suggest a UA name change, but I think "Rule Britannia" would be best, even if it's just the English you're playing.

19. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Chieftain

I like the sound of this-spend faith to *make* faith. In Civ4, it was too easy for a production heavy empire to dominate religion too!

Aussie.

20. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

So they have a working demo, do they? Interesting ... very interesting.

Liking the news so far. Agree with the poster that the extra spy is coupled with the 2 movement for ships. Really though, they should just change it to the British Empire and have Victoria man the the helm. Oh well.