[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

Am I missing how this campus got to +3?

I see I think 3 rainforests adjacent (SW, SE, NE) and 2 adjacent districts, if you count the IZ, which is a little strange since it’s not theirs, but I think that counts anyways.

upload_2021-1-21_12-3-59.jpeg

We'll that's a relief. No chance of retro-fitting Menelik's agenda for good measure? He looks like a learned man, let him love you if you have culture or something.
I'm more upset he didn't have a modernized sort of Agenda and Ability. He modernized Ethiopia to stand against Italy, so there could have been SOMETHING to do with modernization..

I wonder what happens to features with districts if Liang with Reinforced Materials is in the city.
I know for sure that Liang doesn't protect features, so the districts are safe but the yields will be gone.
Regarding Magnus, once you unlock Medieval Faires, you can just chop all Old growth Woods for a huge boost of production, since you can regrow them anyway.

I wonder what happens to features with districts if Liang with Reinforced Materials is in the city.

Place that in your most important City, and we'll watch you win.

My guess is Reinforced Materials will only impact the district, not the underlying feature. I'm also curious whether a district on a tile counts as "improved" for Reyna. Otherwise I could definitely see some crazy appeal going on.

My other big question is whether other civs will still destroy features when they place districts or not. I'm assuming they still do, in which case vietnam is certainly going to be penalized a little bit in lands they invade since none of their captured districts will gain those extra yields.

I'm more upset he didn't have a modernized sort of Agenda and Ability. He modernized Ethiopia to stand against Italy, so there could have been SOMETHING to do with modernization..

Menelik should hate backstabbers and treaty breakers based on historical events (so basically, he's a male Tomyris), but an agenda where he hates larger nations that invade smaller countries isn't any further of a stretch than 'Mah Hillz!! Must have Mah Hillz!!!'.

Menelik should hate backstabbers and treaty breakers based on historical events (so basically, he's a male Tomyris), but an agenda where he hates larger nations that invade smaller countries isn't any further of a stretch than 'Mah Hillz!! Must have Mah Hillz!!!'.
I know. I meant a modernization Agenda, akin to Peter's somewhat.

Glad to see another civ with unique city planning dynamics, though this ability does seem on the weak sidefrom a power perspective. Since you're forgoing both the possibility of either chopping the feature or keeping it for a strong food/production tile and may also end up with suboptimal adjacencies, the bonus yields for buildings could probably stand to be larger. Perhaps that's the reason the devs gave them a unique district that doesn't count towards the district limit? The district does seem to give a lot of yields, and extra movement is a strong military bonus, so maybe they don't need to get much of their power from the UA.

On an organizational note, I think I prefer having a new thread once the first look releases, so that it's easier to find where the discussion shifts from speculating to analyzing the confirmed features.

At most. You mean at most. Can you imagine if it was at least? Open Air Museums dead in an Expletive Deleted ditch.

Actually, not quite at most because if built on a forest, you can get up to 15 culture/tourism. :)

sadly, you can't build them on woods. the CUA specifies
All land specialty districts can only be built on Rainforest, Marsh, or Woods.
whereas, presumably to address this, the Tha`nh's description says at the very end
...and is not a specialty district.

We'll see how it plays out, but not everyone chops (I personally just don't like that mechanic) so it might be more appealing to some. At worst you can plant new forests (that you wouldn't chop anyways) and put your districts there.

I'm actually not a big chopper either - I usually only chop tiles where I was about to place a wonder or district and would lose the feature anyways. I'm more complaining that I have to use my higher-output forest/jungle tiles for districts and will have to work the lower output featureless plains/grasslands tiles. Hopefully Vietnam's start bias will give plenty of forest and jungle to work and use for districts.

Am I missing how this campus got to +3?

I see I think 3 rainforests adjacent (SW, SE, NE) and 2 adjacent districts, if you count the IZ, which is a little strange since it’s not theirs, but I think that counts anyways.

If vietnam's UA means placing a district on forest/jungle means the forest/jungle remains for the purposes of Holy Site/Campus adjaceny bonuses, that's a nice bonus. Get both the adjacency from both the district and the jungle/woods.

They look like a pretty fun civ all around. Strong with relevant bonuses without being ridiculously OP. +10 CS with +2 movement for woods/rainforest tiles in your territory, plus a cheap encampment that doesn't count towards your district count, plus a fast and deadly crossbow replacement makes this probably the best defensive civ in the game. It's literally a turtle civ: it even has it for their civ icon!

The Civ UA I'm not totally sold on. I'm just not a fan of wonky district requirements; I prefer flexibility myself. And not really sure if the bonus ultimately makes up for the malus. You're really map-dependent so whatever kind of map you generate could be the difference between a powerful, easy game or one you might be struggling with. It's also not the most exciting civ, but if you want a no-nonsence civ that is near impossible to invade and just want to turtle up to victory, you really can't do much better.

sadly, you can't build them on woods. the CUA specifies whereas, presumably to address this, the Tha`nh's description says at the very end

Oh if we're going to be pedandic... *cracks knuckles*

Technically, it says that say Specialty Districts can only be built on Rainforest, Woods or Marsh tiles. What it doesn't say is that only Specialty Districts can be built there. You can stick in a non-Specialty one if you like, what the problem?

For the record, you're right about pointing out a Thahn wouldn't get the bonus terrain yields anyway, even if built on one such tile. Because *that* bonus is indeed only for buildings inside Specialty districts. Only.

Top Bottom