[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

I suspect those who find this not particularly powerful are underestimating the potency of the UU. While I may be overestimating it, the ability to move in, shoot, and then move after shooting combined with range allows for insane hit and run combat. V isn't the same game, but the concept is the reason V's Camel Archers and Keshiks were so incredibly potent, and it's notable that we haven't really had this in VI yet.

Heh, Apocalypse Now is not yet used as a civilization VI achievement, is it?

(only thing, it would require yow to have two NFP DLC to get it, so I see it dificult to be "play Apocalypse mode as Vietnam")
Heck, they could do a really cool connection and reference Kongo, as Apocalypse Now was loosely built off of the novella Heart of Darkness.

So I guess Floodplains are dead tiles for Vietnam since you cannot plant Woods on them? Those just might have to be designated for Farms then.

Judging from the video, Vietnam can plant Woods on Floodplains (the +3 Campus is build on a Woods on a Floodplain).

Also, from both Vietnam videos, you can see that Marsh and Rainforests can now generate on the Floodplain tiles. This is a big change of map generation, and I guess the devs tweak the generation specifically for Vietnam.

Still, having a unique ability literally named "River Delta" but cannot place districts directly on Floodplains looks very strange to me.

Their natural enemy appears to be Gaul. Gaul is likewise strong defensively and culturally, but has the production Vietnam lacks, meaning they can pump out soldiers and wonders. Vietnam looks like they may outtourism Gaul though, if they place their Thahns right. +12 Tourism in the endgame is stronger than most World Wonders.

Every Gaul mine can offer 1 Tourism now, so Gaul does have a strong Tourism output.

On the other hand, if you can get +12 Tourism Thahn in EVERY CITY, only very few civs (China, Ethiopia, etc) can compete with Vietnam on that.

Ok, my big question here:
Do they need:
bronze working (allowing chop jungle) to build a district on jungle title
mining to build a district on woods title
irrigation to build a district on marsh title
, or not?
They don't destroy the Features under them, so I'd have to say probably no.

Sounds reasonable and I would say it should work the way you have described, but do we have any confirmation?
I don't have confirmation, and I admit it's just a theory. A pretty good one, though.

After thinking about it I wonder if this is the inspiration behind the UD being a walled citadel and surrounded by districts that give it culture and later tourism? It seems likely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_City_of_Huế

The Imperial City in Ha Noi still stands as well, but it is a lot smaller than this one. Most of the Thang Long imperial city was destroyed.

If "Thành is referring to Vietnam Imperial Cities" is the case - and it does look like the case - then I would strongly suggest FXS artists take some time in the future to update the visual of Thành. Currently it just looks like a normal Encampment with an extra unimpressive stone wall.

I don't have confirmation, and I admit it's just a theory. A pretty good one, though.
Hmm, this @Starina screenshot somehow confirms the terrain feature is still under a district, so it means not only you don't need those techs to build one, but also terrain under district should count to adjacency bonus. This makes this restriction a little less punishing. Anyway, it's interesting.
EDIT:
This one confirms I think:

Last edited:
If "Thành is referring to Vietnam Imperial Cities" is the case - and it does look like the case - then I would strongly suggest FXS artists take some time in the future to update the visual of Thành. Currently it just looks like a normal Encampment with an extra unimpressive stone wall.
The encampment does look unremarkable. You could take any east asian civilization and place those walls around their encampment and I wouldn’t notice

Judging from the video, Vietnam can plant Woods on Floodplains (the +3 Campus is build on a Woods on a Floodplain).

Also, from both Vietnam videos, you can see that Marsh and Rainforests can now generate on the Floodplain tiles. This is a big change of map generation, and I guess the devs tweak the generation specifically for Vietnam.

Still, having a unique ability literally named "River Delta" but cannot place districts directly on Floodplains looks very strange to me.

Every Gaul mine can offer 1 Tourism now, so Gaul does have a strong Tourism output.

On the other hand, if you can get +12 Tourism Thahn in EVERY CITY, only very few civs (China, Ethiopia, etc) can compete with Vietnam on that.

I'm pretty sure the river with the campus there is not a floodplain - it doesn't have the same overlay as grassland floodplain tiles, so I don't think there's any change the map generation or what is allowed for doubling up features.

I scrolled back seven pages to see if someone else had mentioned it, but couldn't find any mention of her left eye (to our right) looking a little infected? : P Did she get pink eye? Looks weird to me.

I'm pretty sure the river with the campus there is not a floodplain - it doesn't have the same overlay as grassland floodplain tiles, so I don't think there's any change the map generation or what is allowed for doubling up features.

Check for yourself:

2021-01-21 114319.png

2021-01-21 114627.png

Beside the obvious Woods-on-Floodplain Campus tile, the hex northeast of the Hanging Gardens is a Floodplain tile with Rainforest.
The hex northeast of Huế is also a Floodplain tile with a Swamp on it.

Last edited:
i think what's happening is not that rainforest or marsh can go on floodplains, but rather that tiles that flood can include rainforest and marsh in addition to floodplains. So then you can remove the rainforest or marsh as per usual, and be left with a featureless tile that nonetheless floods

edit: now im wondering what happens if you have a large area of flood-susceptible rainforest catch fire from a forest fire, and then as the fire's still spreading, the rainforest floods? does the fire instantly get put out or do they just coexist now?

Yeah. Some basic temple, some royal banners. You can definitely pull off a better impression than that. Here's a colonial-era lacquer image of a procession in on of these citadels.
Spoiler :

Definitely more than just thin walls with no gates and tents.

Yeah. Some basic temple, some royal banners. You can definitely pull off a better impression than that. Here's a colonial-era lacquer image of a procession in on of these citadels.
Spoiler :

Definitely more than just thin walls with no gates and tents.

I've to agree, placing at least the "portal"/"gate" shown in the lacquer, plus several vietnamese square banners will upgrade the way it looks a lot.

i think what's happening is not that rainforest or marsh can go on floodplains, but rather that tiles that flood can include rainforest and marsh in addition to floodplains. So then you can remove the rainforest or marsh as per usual, and be left with a featureless tile that nonetheless floods

edit: now im wondering what happens if you have a large area of flood-susceptible rainforest catch fire from a forest fire, and then as the fire's still spreading, the rainforest floods? does the fire instantly get put out or do they just coexist now?

It's curious - those tiles clearly have the "flood" icon on them, but they don't have that feature overlay showing them as a floodplain. So yeah maybe there's something which would cause them to be flood-susceptible for some reason yet not be a floodplain? Or perhaps simply the overlay is incorrect, given there's a floodplain further down the river?

I've come around to the idea of them having a unique encampment, even if that wasn't my first pick, or second, third, fourth etc., but I agree it could look better.

The way I see it now is Vietnam has a had a long tradition and culture of military history and I think it's cool that it's reflected with it's UD granting culture and tourism.
Making it have a more Vietnamese style would help.

Top Bottom