[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

One thin I noticed:

When going to place the holy site, it was limited in which tiles it could be placed on. There were flat grass tiles that were not eligible, so my guess is "can only place districts on features". Combine that with the above bonuses to buildings on those types, and could be interesting. Although if that is the case, please give us an ability to "plant" rainforest or marsh or else they're going to have cases where they get stuck in a flat plains stretch without any district options.

That is going to make it very difficult to get high adjacencies to increase era scores or unlock bonuses from policies. I wonder if their specialty districts all have innate "adjacency" bonuses sort of like the Seowon, without the malus to adjacent districts.

Based on the unblurred picture, the leader is probably Lady Triệu, if we excludes Trưng sisters. Not something I really like - not a fan of purely mythical leader who was invented nearly a millennium later than her supposed era - but I can accept.

The "District on Features" ability seems very map generation RNG-limited, as well as reducing the possibility to get high adjacencies on districts.

EDIT: I'm quite convinced it is a unique Crossbow. At 4:02, you can see it is down at the bottom with the Skirmisher, both are unlocked with Machinery.

Missed opportunity to let Vietnam having a unique Musketman to represent their advanced firearms in 15-18 centuries. :lol:

Btw, the UB is a unique encampment, called Tha`nh. It basically just means castle.

Wonder what the ability the UB might have - the existing Unique Encampments and Unique Encampment Buildings are all kind of lackluster.

looks like so far the unique vietnamese architecture is defaulting to the german-french-australian style when used as sprawl along citycenter-adjacent districts, which is a problem that the cree architecture also has last i checked. Hope they fix this before release... its a small thing sure, but a bit immersion-breaking and pretty bad-looking imo, esp. since district sprawl is like the only place you can continue to see unique classical era architechture after the industrial era

I’d hope it is a lady leader as it’s been a while since we had one in NFP, and Vietnam seems a safer choice being a new entrant to the series and thus not having the uproar of a female leader replacing an established male. (Which is a sad state of affairs for 2021, but here we are)

someone on the wiki unblurred the screenies. The leader is very clearly a woman.

The Vietnamese symbol seems to be based on a specific depiction of Kim Quy, the turtle god that rose from a lake and gave Le Loi a divine sword after he freed Vietnam from China.

Spoiler :

Kim Quy also helped build the Co Loa citadel at the site of the ancient Au Lac capital and gifted its builder the No Lien Chau, a magical crossbow that could fire multiple arrows with great force.

Fun fact: The aforementioned lake is Hồ Hoàn Kiếm, which means "Lake of the Returned Sword", which sounds super cool.

Spoiler :
Not fun fact: The last Hoan Kiem turtle died in 2016 :(

Districts can only be built on features?

Seems to be negative Civ again. 1: You have to find a place with those features. 2: Massive production are lost.

A negative Civ usually comes together with a super-strong one (for example, Maya & Columbia)

So maybe Kublai Khan is super strong.

They're not unblurred, Firaxis just missed a few frames.

Well that's actually worse. All this effort put into keeping everything a secret and some random CivFanatics person comes around all "HA HA!! You missed a frame! I shall now reveal thy secrets all over the innerwebs!!" and spoils it with reckless abandon.

Ah, sigh. Firaxis accidentally spoiling themselves is their whole charm, isn't it?

Well that's actually worse. All this effort put into keeping everything a secret and some random CivFanatics person comes around all "HA HA!! You missed a frame! I shall now reveal thy secrets all over the innerwebs!!" and spoils it with reckless abandon.

Ah, sigh. Firaxis accidentally spoiling themselves is their whole charm, isn't it?

At least the babylon one wasn't their fault, or was it?

I think fanatics poring over details like these (whether accidental or intentional) contributes massively to the fun. It’s certainly no bad thing for building hype!

Are there two UUs?

By first one I meant the first word in the UU name. It looks longer than just "No".

For some reason the icon looks like something mounted on an elephant to me.

If the leader is really Lady Triệu, then that would be a fit, since Lady Triệu is usually portrayed as riding an elephant.

It looks like machinery to me. A bit like Korea's UU icon.

I wouldn't put it past them to leave those frames there on purpose for them to be found.

I swear the UU icon looks like a field cannon to me, and the blurred image looks like a cart:

Edit: Look at the shadows of the two UUs above. They're big chungus shadows, not like individual tiny units.

Edit2: Actually I'm leaning towards elephant as well now.

Last edited:

Not sure if I was the first one to post unblurred screenshot in the other thread, but even if not, then I'm part of it. And in my opinion they did it on purpose. They already know, that fanatics will check their videos frame by frame. They do it for fun as well in my opinion. It's a "game" between fanatics and Firaxis - a fun game. :) And on civfanatics secrets become revealed really early most of the times and I don't think Firaxis is much worried about it from marketing and PR point of view. For majority of their audience it's still a secret and this info being revealed here doesn't hurt them much. We're just doing constant eye blinking to each other. ;)

Top Bottom