[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
A new entry into the Civ Canon

Last edited:
It said it had to do with Terrain... Storms as well... Does that give any hints?

Video showed a district being built on a forest. I'd wager their districts retain their extra yields if built on a clearable feature or resource.

Video showed a district being built on a forest. I'd wager their districts retain their extra yields if built on a clearable feature or resource.

To me it's looking something like..

Building a district on Rainforest, Woods, or Marsh does not remove the Feature and grants additional yields to all buildings in that district: +1 Science if built in Rainforest, +1 Culture if built in Woods, and +1 Production if built in Marsh.

She's from the Three Kingdoms period, well over half a milennium before Shoryu(ken)... Hanoi... I mean Thăng Long makes an appearance with that name.
My money's on any of the folks who used stakes in the shallows to massacre the Dai Viet (the Chinese one), then Southern Song and then Yuan fleets. I don't remember storms being an important part of the event but it's very much something that is present in the artistic depictions of the events like Battle of Bach Dang.

One thin I noticed:

When going to place the holy site, it was limited in which tiles it could be placed on. There were flat grass tiles that were not eligible, so my guess is "can only place districts on features". Combine that with the above bonuses to buildings on those types, and could be interesting. Although if that is the case, please give us an ability to "plant" rainforest or marsh or else they're going to have cases where they get stuck in a flat plains stretch without any district options.

One thin I noticed:

When going to place the holy site, it was limited in which tiles it could be placed on. There were flat grass tiles that were not eligible, so my guess is "can only place districts on features". Combine that with the above bonuses to buildings on those types, and could be interesting. Although if that is the case, please give us an ability to "plant" rainforest or marsh or else they're going to have cases where they get stuck in a flat plains stretch without any district options.

Good catch! That definitely looks to be the case. I'll amend my guess to...

Specialty districts can only be built on Features. Building a specialty district on Rainforest, Woods, or Marsh does not remove the Feature and grants additional yields to all buildings in that district: +1 Science if built in Rainforest, +1 Culture if built in Woods, and +1 Production if built in Marsh.

She's from the Three Kingdoms period, well over half a milennium before Shoryu(ken)... Hanoi... I mean Thăng Long makes an appearance with that name.
My money's on any of the folks who used stakes in the shallows to massacre the Dai Viet (the Chinese one), then Southern Song and then Yuan fleets. I don't remember storms being an important part of the event but it's very much something that is present in the artistic depictions of the events like Battle of Bach Dang.

This post in the main thread makes a good point about the blurred image:
Greenish headgear, no facial hair, round face. It looks like a female leader:

I agree that Thang Long is a weird capital choice for anyone pre-Ly dynasty, but it definitely does look like a female in the portrait. The "storms" quote is also basically one of the main things associated with Lady Trieu. She'd definitely be a little odd, but it does fit.

I could also see your logic being true, too. In that case, Tran Thai Tong or perhaps his general Tran Hung Dao might be the leader. They also have a nice pack parallel since they fought against... Kublai Khan.

unit.PNG

I wonder what is that blurred unit?

View attachment 582121
I wonder what is that blurred unit?
I'm Vietnamese and from what I can make out, it seems like a two letter word, followed by a four letter word. I guess "No Than", a unique crossbow replacement.

EDIT: I'm quite convinced it is a unique Crossbow. At 4:02, you can see it is down at the bottom with the Skirmisher, both are unlocked with Machinery.
However, the Crossbow's name is in red, indicating it cannot be bought straight up, but 750 gold should be enough to buy a regular Cross, so I guess this Cross is more expensive? Legend-wise, No Than is a repeated Crossbow designed to shoot multiple rounds and multiple enemies at once.

Last edited:
One thin I noticed:

Damn, that would be really an interesting ability. How good could it be? What do you do if you start in desert or snow? Vietnamese will be very subject to RNG start randomness if this is the case.

I'm Vietnamese and from what I can make out, it seems like a two letter word, followed by a four letter word. I guess "No Than", a unique crossbow replacement.

EDIT: I'm quite convinced it is a unique Crossbow. At 4:02, you can see it is down at the bottom with the Skirmisher, both are unlocked with Machinery.
However, the Crossbow's name is in red, indicating it cannot be bought straight up, but 750 gold should be enough to buy a regular Cross, so I guess this Cross is more expensive? Legend-wise, No Than is a repeated Crossbow designed to shoot multiple rounds and multiple enemies at once.

So basically a Vietnamese Chu-Ko-Nu? (Yes I realize this is oversimplifying things but please just humor my comparison)

Damn, that would be really an interesting ability. How good could it be? What do you do if you start in desert or snow? Vietnamese will be very subject to RNG start randomness if this is the case.

I assume they will have a very high start bias for jungle and marsh. But especially getting less from chopping, I do wonder what else might be part of the ability.

*I'm guessing they'll get a militaristic bonus too when fighting in jungle or marsh. Whether it's a movement bonus or a combat bonus, that seems very likely as well.

As someone said, it ain't Civ without a Crossbow replacement!

One thin I noticed:

And usually a message would appear warning you it will delete the feature and if you're sure you want to proceed. It does not in this case.

Top Bottom