[NFP] Vietnam & Kublai Khan Pack (January 2021) - Patch Notes Discussion

It's a real pity that the Civs I would prefer to be using this district with (such as Vietnam, Kongo and Maori) get no mileage out of it because rainforest and marshes have terminal appeal penalties.

Usually I have to agree with you about rainforests being a hopeless case in terms of appeal in Civ6 (which is sad and makes me wish Civ6 wouldn't factore various concepts/ideas like health and beauty into one value), but given special circumstances even they can have an appeal of 6:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...nge-screenshots.601435/page-177#post-16021434

Usually I have to agree with you about rainforests being a hopeless case in terms of appeal in Civ6 (which is sad and makes me wish Civ6 wouldn't factore various concepts/ideas like health and beauty into one value), but given special circumstances even they can have an appeal of 6:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...nge-screenshots.601435/page-177#post-16021434

You're talking endgame National Parks. I'm talking early-game yields, which is when the extra bits of culture/faith matter. The preserve doesn't provide Great Person Points - its yield game should be stronger to give you some incentive to build it over a specialty district or an aqueduct.

You're talking endgame National Parks. I'm talking early-game yields, which is when the extra bits of culture/faith matter. The preserve doesn't provide Great Person Points - its yield game should be stronger to give you some incentive to build it over a specialty district or an aqueduct.
I think it's fine to have a few districts you don't always want to build in every city.

I think it's fine to have a few districts you don't always want to build in every city.

True, but why have a district that unlocks so soon, if you're not going get use out of it in the early game? I don't mind a niche district - I only build Aqueducts to support my Dam-powered Riverside Industrial Zones. But if its purpose is to make use of unimproved tiles (ie: tiles you tend to keep unimproved, such as rainforests, or coastal tiles), it has more or less failed. The idea is good. The execution? Less so.

True, but why have a district that unlocks so soon, if you're not going get use out of it in the early game? I don't mind a niche district - I only build Aqueducts to support my Dam-powered Riverside Industrial Zones. But if its purpose is to make use of unimproved tiles (ie: tiles you tend to keep unimproved, such as rainforests, or coastal tiles), it has more or less failed. The idea is good. The execution? Less so.
The time I used it was two up against the Chocolate HIlls. They took more or less worthless tiles and made them good.

I think the bigger problem for me is that it interacts very weakly with the rest of the game. So while there's games that I might never build an aqueduct, or even ones where I skip theatres practically entirely, there's always reminders around - you see the great artist points, you see policy cards, military engineers have charges, etc...

But Preserves, just, don't. There's no policy cards related to them. There's no tech or civic boosts that need them. I mean, I guess Reyna indirectly interacts with them in that her forestry management policy is absolutely amazing with them. They don't give you any yield that you can't otherwise get from something else. So you really can just totally ignore them, and it basically never hurts.

It also suffers in that since it unlocks early, you run the risk of finding some late resource and ruining it. Like in my last game, had a preserve setup going with 2 cities actually, and a coal tile popped in between the 2 preserves. Thankfully I had coal elsewhere, because it would have basically destroyed the whole setup throwing down a coal mine there - would have cost me 4 food, 4 culture, 4 faith, plus probably would have taken the neighbour tiles down below breathtaking too. I mean, welcome to the real world where you have to decide if you want coal mines or a natural park, but still...

I think the bigger problem for me is that it interacts very weakly with the rest of the game. So while there's games that I might never build an aqueduct, or even ones where I skip theatres practically entirely, there's always reminders around - you see the great artist points, you see policy cards, military engineers have charges, etc...

But Preserves, just, don't. There's no policy cards related to them. There's no tech or civic boosts that need them. I mean, I guess Reyna indirectly interacts with them in that her forestry management policy is absolutely amazing with them. They don't give you any yield that you can't otherwise get from something else. So you really can just totally ignore them, and it basically never hurts.

It also suffers in that since it unlocks early, you run the risk of finding some late resource and ruining it. Like in my last game, had a preserve setup going with 2 cities actually, and a coal tile popped in between the 2 preserves. Thankfully I had coal elsewhere, because it would have basically destroyed the whole setup throwing down a coal mine there - would have cost me 4 food, 4 culture, 4 faith, plus probably would have taken the neighbour tiles down below breathtaking too. I mean, welcome to the real world where you have to decide if you want coal mines or a natural park, but still...
I disagree. The fact that it turns appeal into decent yields has made me actually start paying attention to appeal, since I don't typically go for Culture victories. In fact I only recently learned that there are several districts like the TS, EC, HS, canal, and Dam, that all add appeal to adjacent tiles. I never bothered to learn what increases or decreases appeal since I never needed it, but now I pay attention to appeal just in case I can get an amazing Preserve location. It adds an extra layer of complexity to city planning, which I would argue is not weakly interacting with the rest of the game.
Also your mention of it "ruining" late resources sounds like a good thing, since it forces you to make a tough decision, which is always a good thing in my opinion.

Top Bottom