Vietnam (VN 1.0)

12tn2

Prince
Hi guys. My first modding (actually the second time, my first try failed ^^)! It's about my own civilization, Việt Nam. Since I suck when it comes to graphics, this mod is as basic as it can get (even no civilopedia). It features four leaders:
1/ An Dương Vương - Industrious, Spiritual
2/ Đinh Tiên Hoàng - Aggressive, Financial
3/ Trần Thánh Tông - Philosophical, Creative
4/ Nguyễn Phúc Chu - Expansion, Organized
and one unique unit: Nỏ liên châu, a replacement for crossbowmen with:
1/ 5 :strength:
2/ Cost 55 :hammers:
3/ Cause collateral damage
4/ +50% vs. Melee
5/ 2 first strikes
6/ +25% city defense
7/ Need copper or iron.
Download (latest version updated, at post #27):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7tpa14s8phidt4/Vietnam 1.41.exe
If you wish to help me improve it, especially in the graphic parts, feel free to contact me. Also this is considered by myself as the 'unofficial', 'alternative' version of Vietnam. The 'true' version is VN 2.0, which must be more complete, is looking for help here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=456350 If you're interested, give it a look ;)
Have fun!

hi 12tn2, i stuck together a dinh made from a building used in an building artstyles mod, i hope the maker won't mind, i couldn't find out who made in originally. i put together some text as well, thought you might like it, please add your comments

Attachments

• dinh lang for upload.zip
    112.9 KB · Views: 270
Wow, many thanks for your help :goodjob: but now I'm still sticking with Vanilla (didn't get the chance to upgrade the game to Bts), so I can't check your building for now :( Anyway, exploring the files helped me understand how to mod in BtS a little bit more. If I'm to install BtS in the future, I'll definitely give this one a try ;)
By the way, if you're still interested, can you consider doing the VN 2.0 UU and leaderheads? They're graphic stuffs, and I'm in no hope of completing them myself :rolleyes:

i'm afraid not, i'm only just starting to change models, i can just about change things attached to units and leaderheads, but major stuff is beyond me

there are lots of vietnam ancient units created by bakuel; i don't remember a repeating crossbow however - but the war elephnts were very distinctive (and piloted by trung trac and nhi)

Yeah I've just visited Bakuel's thread - really interesting units, but may require some programming to merge :( About the crossbow, what I mean was not repeating (being bad in English really sucks sometimes :blush:) but a multi-arrow crossbow (in some ways similar to the Korean's Hwacha some 1500 years later, but handheld-small ;)) It's quite renowned and devastating in Vietnamese legends.
And what are the "things attached to units and leaderheads" in details? I thought those units and LHs are somewhat like a whole big thing and don't need any tiny parts attached to?

Yeah this is the latest version of Vietnam - VN 1.1 :cool:
It again introduces four leaders, but not the same as 1.0:
1/ An Dương Vương - Spiritual, Industrious
2/ Đinh Tiên Hoàng - Aggressive, Financial
3/ Lê Lợi - Philosophical, Organized (Trần Thánh Tông is out and reserved for VN 2.0)
4/ Nguyễn Phúc Chu - Expansive, Creative.
Some enhancements were also made:
- HOF 1.74.004 integrated :D but I was unable to turn off the feature of checking whether a game is eligible of submission or not :( Any suggestion is welcome.
- Cute pictures for all Vietnamese leaders :mischief:
- Unique buttons are also added :p The 64x64 ones seemed to be too small compared with other normal leaders and units in Civilopedia, so I decided to go 128x128. Now they're a little bigger :crazyeye: Don't know the exact size :confused:
- New flag for the Vietnamese. I used the starred red-blue flag of 'Mặt trận dân tộc giải phóng miền Nam Việt Nam' (or in short, 'Viet cong' in American's minds). The current Vietnam flag is reserved for 2.0.
- New color. The old color is a little too 'whitey' and so similar with the India color (it was inspired from the national flower of Vietnam, the lotus - unfortunately it's also the Indian national flower :rolleyes:). So this new one is more 'pinky' to distinguish Vietnam from other civilizations :)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dii7wzbwjauhhw5 (exe file)
Enjoy! Any helping hands to improve this mod further will be appreciated. Just contact me ;)

Hello 12tn2

I am just starting to add parts to units, new heads and stuff. If possible to modify models fairly simply this way, in fact for a long time it was the only way to do it. I just tried one day and it worked! Ditto leaderheads, they might have detachable parts, or you can add bits on.

A "multi arrow crossbow" would be beyond me i'm afraid! but sounds good, maybe you should get some concept art about it and approach ??? Bakuel. And send it to me! I could have a go anyway, "faint heart never one fair woman", as we say in the ancient Saxon kingdom of Essex.

XML modding is easy once you start, you've already done it by producing a new civ. I would get BTS, it is a lot of fun. Adding "flavour" art in BTS is easy, the XML coding is actually fairly straightforward once you start. You do pretty much the same thing again and again with XML modding. There are also some useful applications that check what you've done. If you ever want help don't hesitate to ask, there are also guides on this site, but nothing compares learning by trial and error!

I'm downloading your civ to use, thanks for the upload. I like new art.

Be happy x

Please add credits to the artists that made your units and leaderheads
Huh? Oh yes of course ;) but till now I haven't got any new units or LHs models from anyone yet :( Will appreciate any help though.
Now about the No lien chau, I've done a little research about it after your request. Ok it's not handheld tiny - it needs some kind of support to operate:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pbv1cfhnn52sg
But still, these pics are only the reconstruction of an ancient weapon based on pretty obscured info. The real ones' size is still a myth. Making of wood, the No lien chau of course had no chance to stand the challenge of time. If you want to make it, my suggestion is that you can use the Chokonu model - they're so much similar. Just add 4 - 6 tiny arrows to the bow, discard some bits of armor (No lien chau appeared about 400 years before Chokonus, thus they would be simpler), also shorten the clothes (Vietnam is a tropical country) and it'll look ok :)

hello

Used Bakuel's Viet crossbowman to stick together this unit, essentially I enlarged the crossbow and ham - fistedly coloured it in. Will try a new version, but for now . . . ta daaaaaaaaaaaa. Uses crossbowman anims, I assume you know how to reference it via xml and stuff.

Attachments

• bodgejobcrossbow.rar
    68.8 KB · Views: 208
Hey, thank you for the unit :) I've tried it, but it seems to be carrying too many crossbows :crazyeye: If I'm not wrong there're a total of four bows, one in his hands and three floating around. I've also give the Bakuel unit itself a try, but same result :( Or are there differences in 1.74 and BtS units? Yours is the BtS one, & the mod is for Vanilla civ. I don't know if a unit can be used in every version or not...

I've made some changes to this mod, now it's updated to 1.2:
- Better button for the Vietnamese
- The UU No lien chau's cost is reduced to 50:hammers: Kicking butts at lower expense! :D
- Civilopedia entries for all!
- Fix the error when building our UU.
- Diplomacy texts for Vietnamese leaders.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5m1yiba5sk3tl80
Give it a go ;)

dear 12tn2

hello! your english is very good, much better than my vietnamese . . . what does 12tn2 mean by the way?

i've attached a view of how a crossbow unit appears in nifscope. the three crossbows are visible, they disappear/appear depending on the animation - so this is why you get a messy looking model in - game. the only thing i could think of to possibly cure this was the advanced/options/animation frozen tab, so that's it really! it is strange your graphics come up like this, and all the vanilla art works . . . perhaps ask someone with a lot of graphics knowledge? i'm only a beginner.

<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_VIETNAM_CROSSBOWMAN</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/lightxbow.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Greenmod_atlas.dds,8,3</Button>
<fScale>0.44</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>1.1</fInterfaceScale>
<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Art/Units/VIETNAM/Vietnam Crossbowman/VietnamCrossbowman.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Crossbowman/Crossbowman.kfm</KFM>
<ShadowDef>
<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>

this is the art references i use. in BTS, and *probaly* vanilla, you don't need a SHADERNIF entry, but it could be added as
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/VIETNAM/Vietnam Crossbowman/VietnamCrossbowman.nif</SHADERNIF>
.... although i suspect you may well have this yourself already, and i don't think it will change the way the unit appears in - game; it saves a line of code

i can't change things drastically, for example multiple cross fire (but i'll have a try anyway!), but i can do other stuff fairly confidently now.

the first step is getting a model that works for you in - game. do you use any crossbow unit art not supplied with the game? if so, does it appear normally? all the custom art i've ever used looks ok in - game, and from what i remember there was never a problem with vanilla either.

anyway! hope you ok, keep in touch - and what's Vietnamese for "War Elephant"? i'm adding a viet uu to my mod. could you do a pedia entry for it? there's a great model of a trung sister around i remember . . .

Attachments

• nif_crossbow.jpg
    nif_crossbow.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 287
hi bro unit for you to test, please comment on any changes you want (or whether it just crashes the game)

Attachments

• Viet_UU_Crossbowman.rar
    95.2 KB · Views: 252
Hi guys. Major changes to this mod in this new release:
- Images for the leaders & leader buttons. No boring plain texts any more!!
- Unique personalities for those guys, according to history :king:
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?435mw6wikbftnij
Now it's pretty complete. Time to play, maybe ;)
BTW, Spillsandstains, many tks for your efforts all those times. ATM the problem is that the No lien chau is covered in pink :crazyeye: Looking forward to your next fix :)

final version of viet uu, sorry it took so long . . . don't hesitate criticise/request changes

must go, saving western europe from financial meltdown (again) x x x

Attachments

• yetanothercrossbowmanfor12tn2withshield.zip
    30.8 KB · Views: 216
Hi there. Many tks for your efforts, but it seems that I'm still unable to make it work :( It's still in pink! Here's some of the screenshots:

& the art file:
I suspect the culprit is that KFM line. I use the original Crossbowman KFM. What did you use? Does this new No lien chau guy has a particular KFM?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,373
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,388
  • art define.jpg
    art define.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,420
oh dear not again! sorry 12tn2, it's my mistake, your xml isn't a problem by the looks of things - the pink indicates the model is looking for a .dds texture file and it can't find it, possibly it's not included or i named it something else. i am a champion klutz at that sort of thing, i'll get back to you tomorrow . . . grr. just deleted all the files from the station i'm using at the moment so i can't do anything now.

hang on!!!!!!!! you used the .nif from earlier, but i also stuck another zip further in your viet-nam thread; it contains the texture files that colour in the pink model. remove everything from this folder that isn't a .nif and put it in the same folder . . .

hey did you mean that zip file just before your latest file? I've done exactly what you said: remove all other files in the unit art folder, unzip all of your old file's content into it:
But in-game, it's still pinky @@ Can you spot the culprit?

Attachments

• unit folder.jpg
    unit folder.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,382
hi 12tn2

don't know whats wrong, this is the one i use . . .

Attachments

• viet_uu_crossbowman.rar
    76.2 KB · Views: 234
Top Bottom