Vietnam War Infantry Series

One for today: ARVN M16 Rifleman added to the OP.

Outstanding! This makes the Vietnam M16 series nearly completed.
As far as I can see only RVN Marine Rifleman is left, unless you want to include MP (or other units) into this group.
Whatever your decision will be, I really love these units and hope new series will come.

Wasn't there a US paratrooper infantryman in El Justo's scenario? Although I would think that the US m-16 riflemen that Gary has created would more than suffice.

I actually have 3 more M16 riflemen to do.

US Paratrooper
RVN Marine
US Military Police

I'm also going to do another MP with a sub-machine gun. Probably the submachine gunner would be the better one for the scenario but since I'm on a roll with the M16 I figure I'll throw in an extra. :)

Oh hey. New dude! Excellent as always. Please enter him in the monthly unit competition!

Perhaps some armed with the FN SLR? This weapon is sadly lacking in the Civ armoury! The closest we've got is your HK rifleman.

I just found this HK Rifleman and should ask if this guy could be used as a British Infantry soldier in the 60s-70s.

Hard time finding any pictures on the internet with British Forces from this Cold War era. At least with soldiers wearing a helmet. Most are with berets.
Perhaps because British Forces only had the Malaya conflict I think.
But the rifled used is the SLR and perhaps this HK Rifleman could be assigned.

Any comments from you guys who knows a lot more than me.

we have a US paratrooper in there but it's not by Gary iirc. gfx are ok too but would always like to have 'matching' ones if i can write that here :)

viet cong mortar teams would be nice. a sapper of some sort would be super cool too, or at least a single anim to add into a folder to represent.

I actually have 3 more M16 riflemen to do.

US Paratrooper
RVN Marine
US Military Police

I'm also going to do another MP with a sub-machine gun. Probably the submachine gunner would be the better one for the scenario but since I'm on a roll with the M16 I figure I'll throw in an extra. :)

My stepfather was an air force MP who was stationed at Cam Ranh Bay during Vietnam and he hold me that he was primarily armed with a CAR-15. From the few stories I've been able to get from him it didn't seem like they were too differently armed than a typical US infantry unit of that time period so creating a MP unit armed with an M16 is probably more accurate than we might imagine.

I'm thrilled to hear that you're going to take the time to fill out the other M16 units in El Justo's scenario, it's just great that someone with your ability is taking the time customize an already terrific scenario.

we have a US paratrooper in there but it's not by Gary iirc. gfx are ok too but would always like to have 'matching' ones if i can write that here :)

viet cong mortar teams would be nice. a sapper of some sort would be super cool too, or at least a single anim to add into a folder to represent.

I actually like Balou's Modern Infantry better than my own. His graphics are still crisp and the animations are still top notch to this day. I don't think I can match his work but I can fill in a few blanks that he left out. You might want to continue to use some of your current units in the game and simply fill in some of mine for variety. It may not be a good thing to have 10 M-16 rifleman all with the same basic animations etc. So a little variety would probably be best. Or at least offset some of my repitition with some other units.

@mrniceguy101: Thanks. I'll do my best. I sort of come and go at times but I hope to eventually get all the units done. It's a tall order but the M16s should knock out a little of it.

not sure if that was the set i used for the paratrooper. would have to look. but don't discount yourself, bro :p these are outstanding and would surely replace any of the sets we put in there before :D

@Gary,

I have to agree with El Justo in that you shouldn't short change yourself. I freely admit that I'm almost totally ignorant in regards to the creation of units but for what it's worth I'd honestly put your creations up against anybody's. Either way I'm just grateful for whatever you feel like doing, I'd imagine this is all rather time consuming and I'm sure you have interests and responsibilities outside of this.

Yes the US paratrooper unit in last published TVW is based on recolored modern infantry by Balou.

Despite its age, Balou's infantry is a top quality unit, one of the best ever, IMO. This won't necessairly mean new Gary's infantrymen are not.
I really like details and attention on equipment and camo pattern on new units by Gary Chilldress but I agree with him about the fact that having a bit of variety in animations would improve in game realism.
Very few can be done to add variations in certain animatios such as run or default. Gary already used different victory.flc in different units. Maybe an alternate Attack or death would help but I would leave any decision to unit creator.
Just a note about attack.flc. One significant difference between Balou and Gary units is legs position (look at SE animation to see this clearly). I have to say that quite bent legs are a bit less realistic but this is definitely not a major problem
So, Gary please keep doing your infantrymen: you are doing a great job

More Great Work Gary :goodjob:

Personally, I prefer the slightly more bent legs in the Attack... would not want to "Stand Stiff and Tall" and be an easy target :lol:
Besides that... Balou had foot slides in his animations. Even so, his Modern Infantry is still very usable.

Thank you all for the kind words. :)

One more M16 rifleman posted, this time a US Paratrooper. I didn't do a camo helmet just because I've seen pics of US paras in vietnam without camo helmets and I wanted to distinguish him more from the US Infantryman posted above him because they have the same color clothing.

You know, I just had a look through Balou's Modern Inf .flcs, and while that unit is very good, and definitely ahead of it's time compared with what else was being produced then, you've got the better of him now, Gary. Your animations run more naturally, detail is slightly crisper, and your weapon effects (muzzle flash and whatnot,) are totally superior. "I see you are the master now..."

:worship:

Yes. For a very long time I considered Balou's units to be the best for modern times. But now Gary, you are the best for this era.

I agree...
Garys stuff is just better then best when it comes to the modern soldiers. They fill out this period with style.

These new Vietnam era guys will make El Justo spinn. He haven´t even done the upgrade of his outstanding Age of Imperialism work with all the stuff for that era (warships for one)
Now you got him looking back on his other great achievement the Vietnam War.

Can you handle both El Justo ??

Top Bottom