1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

VIKING DLC available NOW!!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TM Moot, May 2, 2011.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's not whether or not she speaks Mandarin, it's that she speaks Mandarin from 1000 years later. She should be speaking a language that is nearly incomprehensible to modern Chinese audiences.

2. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

I'm amazed nobody is comenting on it, but Harald has the most lazy animation for a leader yet!

I feel I'm buying or selling fish whenever I'm looking at that diplomacy screen.

3. Keejus

Keejus Prince

His lines were written in English and then translated. If you check the XMLs, you can see his original English lines amongst what I assume is potential lines. His attacked quote is also kind of awkward, but I thought they did a good job outside of those two.

I'm more bothered that he sounds like one of those voice actors who dub live action Disney/Nickelodeon shows.

4. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

You might say the same for Oda and his Japanese, but the way I see it, modern audiences have incorporated both Oda and Wu into their pop culture, so a certain familiarity from the leader screens is something which Chinese and Japanese audiences would prefer, I'm guessing. Oda appears in many Japanese video games speaking contemporary Japanese, Wu appears in Chinese dramas speaking contemporary Mandarin.

My Chinese friends all say she uses low-class Mandarin (they don't seem to care that she isn't using archaic Mandarin). They also complain that Wu delivers her Mandarin like a timid teenage girl. If it was formal (like Harun or Rameses II's Arabic) I think they wouldn't mind it so much. Just my 2 cents. I think my friends' complaints about Wu's voice quality are similar to Keejus' complaint about Harald's rather cartoony sounding voice-acting.

I think his Peaceful and Defeated animations are rushed (his hand motions are way too fast and look vaguely unnatural), and he ought to look more threatening in his peaceful stance, but I do think his War animations are ok. I don't mind it too much though, the awesome sky and the moving longboat make up for it I think. Somewhat. Best leader screen is still either Rameses or Bismarck imo.

5. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

The new civ just looks like a weaker England to me.

6. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

They are truly deadly as a warmonger civ (what other way would you play them?). They have one of the best units in the beserker and are the only civ that have a unique L swordsmen and a unique rifleman which are the two types of front-line units most commonly used to wage game winning wars. The amphibious promotion and the UA are big helps when attacking overseas late in the game with mech inf and other advanced units.

I can't get used to those poor ski troopers though! They look so stupid walking around in the deserts and plains with their skis on and I have to remind myself that they actually walk more quickly through all hills, including sunny green ones.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

So if some other work of Danish fiction had Harold, it would be fine? I wasn't criticizing having Wu speak Mandarin and Oda speak modern Japanese. I think it's a necessity for the game and at least it's the descendant of the language they spoke.

8. Morningcalm

Lol, no. I implied that the modern fiction shows the Chinese and Japanese connect to Wu and Oda on a contermporary as well as historical level. I doubt many Danish view Harald Bluetooth the same way. Though they might see Thor in a similar way thanks to the American movie? Who knows. XD

And you did say in post 61,
    That seems to me you're criticizing Wu's Mandarin. O_o

9. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

I really couldn't care less about leader animations, they're all cheesy anyway but it doesn't matter.

10. Keejus

Keejus Prince

I will never accept a blonde Thor. Every Scandinavian knows he should be depicted as a redhead :nono:

11. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Weaker England? How in the world?

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

What I said earlier:

I got on to a sidenote because I'm actually defending the actress. Most people are upset because she sounds younger than Wu should be (and she is technically an American), but her pronunciation is apparently fine. My only point is, if you want Harald to speak archaic Danish, you should also want Wu to speak archaic Chinese.

I don't see why it should matter if they're viewed as contemporary culture icons. It has no impact on the historical character. Augustus is always depicted as speaking English with an English accent. It doesn't mean I would be happy with that.

13. Fabiano1979

Fabiano1979 Chieftain

Just finished my king game on large continents with denmark.

Its really fun drop dozens of units next to a hopeless capital. But, the game was way too easy.

I never won a king game on a large map before 1950, well, its 1800 and I just conquered Paris and ta da...pops up that desapointing image of the end game.

It feels like a bug exploit to me. The AI is already bad on normal combat, but against the speed of the vikings they just dont know how to defend themselves. You can easily conquer their capital, wait a few turns and make peace. The AI will not try to recover the city. So you can go on to the next capital. Im pretty sure that with the right planning you can win the game by the time you have bersekers. Im going to try on my next game.

14. Morningcalm

I think my Chinese friends are more upset by the fact Wu is speaking lower-class Mandarin (that is, not formal Mandarin or Mandarin used by heads of state etc). At least two of them didn't really care that she's young (though I am grumpy at that after researching her reign on the Internet).

Fair enough on the parallel archaic accents...but I think archaic Danish would be easier for Firaxis to access than archaic Mandarin. :|

On the contemporary culture thing: I'm guessing that the Chinese and Japanese don't care about the game representations using modern Mandarin and Japanese because *many* other representations of Wu and Oda made in Chinese and Japanese culture also use contemporary Chinese and Japanese. These are popular representations to the best of my knowledge. Of course it doesn't really impact the historical figure, but it does shape the reaction to the game representation, I'd postulate.

Sidenote: Anyone else notice the Viking music at http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/audio/DromteMigEnDrom.wav on which Bluetooth's peace and war themes are based sounds a lot like the Viking scenario theme from Civ IV?