Viking Revenge (Deity)

GR8Madmax said:
Ahh, the Ottomans were just another bump in the road. Good job Sandman. :)
Thanks GR8MadMax. There were only a 4 city civ at the best of times, though...

T-Money said:
Oh, so if I just buy conquests then I get all the PTW stuff too? awesome!
Yep, and it is definitely worth it!

*Orders Conquests*

Thanks for the little tidbit there, I was gonna get PTW but I read a review that said it sucked. Now I'll just get C3C!

Great job with those ottos....they deserved to die. :ar15:

KILL EM ALL MWAhaHAhaHaHGahA.........oh sorry. hehe.

Another good update Sandman! Your a good player, I can only manage playing Civ3 on Monarch at the most and I have had the game for two years now. But still, I always concentrate on Technology and building up my Empire so that could be it. Still, another good update!

Sandman2003 said:
Yep, and it is definitely worth it!

It isn't worth it if you bought PTW about 6 months before conquests was released, and when you found out about conquests, you read that it has a copy of PTW inside. Wasted £20 right there.

Nice addition Sandman..

I am away for five days or so, so don't expect updates in this time. The strategy from here is probably to try and get communism quickly, and revolt. This government type will be very beneficial for our spread out empire. We will then build heaps of libraries and marketplaces everywhere to stay in the tech game with England - racing for sci method and ToE. The English showdown will hopefully be a late IA war to end all wars. Meanwhile, since our armies are sitting in the Dutch homeland, they may as well be used, before Dutch culture flips our cities. Therefore, I will reinforce with some more rifles, and then clean out the Dutch.

I feel deserted, daft is nowhere to be found and sandman is gone for 5 days, oh well it couild be worse

Relax guys, the Sandman always completes his stories.

1355AD cont - Looking at the map, it appears that the Dutch have only one native source of saltpeter. Our brief war agauinst the Ottomans has actually created this source for the Dutch, as it lies in what was previously Ottoman territory, and cultural expansion may be able to take it back. The other way to claim it back would be to take the Dutch city of Eindhoven. They would then lose the cultural border that includes the saltpeter.

The saltpeter source is in the centreof the image. Notice the land access to the Dutch city of Utrecht is currently blocekd by the French as well. The Dutch capital, now Rotterdam is immediately south of the iron mountain in the SW of the image, just beyond view. The Dutch have probably been getting saltpeter from the French, who have about three sources on the French mainland (France). I have 8 turns on a peace treaty with the Dutch, but it is straight up, so I don't think it will wreak my rep any more if we break the peace treaty and declare war. We are waiting on some additional reinforcements that are only a couple of turns away, and we are saving up to hopefully afford communism. Steam is only eight turns away on our minimum research that we started after getting the great library. Militarily we are weak against the French and the English, but strong against the Dutch, and the one city civ, Carthage. Heroic epic due in 3, military academy in 10.

IT - The French want an MPP. Not really what I am after at the moment. We trade world maps instead.

1360AD - At 1497 gold everyone (England and Carthage) is insulted at our suggestion of a trade for communism. I could try an immediate steal for 1120 off of Carthage, however. At that price and our current earnings of 244gpt, we could try an immediate steal every five turns. I think I will wait a bit longer, and see if we can trade without the steal.

1365AD - England had just picked up medicine as well, now. They lead us by communism, fascism, steam power and medicine at least. We still can not afford communism off anybody (insulted again). OK, time for some action, our armies are restless! Let us first see what the Dutch have in these cities of theirs.

For 128 gold we look at Eindhoven. It has 9 vet rifles defending and is building more rifles. Ouch! It will probably take more than one turn to successfully assault. What else do they have?

For 126 gold, Utrecht has four rifles and a cavalry. That is better, but as there is no direct access, it could be a problem to reach the city.

For 126 gold, Rotterdam has 10 rifles, 3 cavalry and a longbow. Building rifles.

For 128 gold, The Hague has five rifles and a galleon. Building wealth.

That is an awful lot of rifles. The Dutch do not have much counterpunch, which is just as well, because we have very few rifles there.

1370AD - We decide to have a go, against the Dutch. Ideally we would get a lot more cavalry across first, but we should be able to take these cities one by one, and I am concerned about the amount of cultural pressure on Groningen. We declare war! Eindhoven is also on a hill! We advance 18 cannons on Eindhoven, plus two berserks, two MI a rifle, two cavalry armies and 12 cavalry.

IT - Our frigates win 4-1 against Dutch attacks, but the thinly defended Edrine falls to the Dutch assault. On the plus side, no less than six rifles leave Eindhoven! This will make our assault much easier! A further 6 rifles have left Rotterdam.

1375AD - Frigate bombardment of Eindhoven fails. The cannons get eight hits. We face two redlined rifles and one 2hp rifle. The second cavalry army destroys the staunchest defender. Then since the Heroic epic has just been built we let an elite cav have a go at a redlined rifle. He dies, so we return to the second cavalry army, and the city of Eindhoven is ours!

Seige of Edrine - The first cavalry army charges up to Edrine. There is a cavalry shown in defense of the city! Two assaults later, the cavalry has been removed, and Edrine has been returned to Viking control.

By Iznik, the enemy has unloaded a rifle and a cavalry. We attack with our cavalry. We lose one cavalry destroying this force. We kill another exposed cavalry by Groningen. The twelve exposed rifles are on hills of no particular startegic importance, and so it is not worth assaulting them, until they are off these hills.

Communism off the French is doubtful at 1679. Maybe we can buy it next turn!

IT - France and Carthage sign an MPP. We renew the ivory to England deal, but up the price to 27gpt. The Dutch move to surround Groningen with rifles, exposing 11 rifles and a longbow.

1380AD - Communism is still doubtful off France even for 1924 gold! Our 18 cannons are able to be brought into a position to severely weaken five of the exposed rifles. However, they are only able to achieve seven hits on a mini sod of four rifles. The frigates again prove unable to harm rifles, but try anyway. Two berserks and two MIs clean out the SOD. A cavalry dispenses with a lone rifle, now leaving a SOD of 6 rifles and a longbow, plus three rifles covering the non-strategic hills. The first cavalry army advances out of Edrine (replaced by a rifle) to assault this main SOD, killing three rifles without suffering any hits at all. On the other hand, the second cavalry army rushes out of newly captured Eindhoven to join the attack, but can only kill two before being redlined. Three more cavalry finish the job, without loss, but with one retreat.

IT - The Dutch kill an exposed MI, but now have exposed a cavalry and the three rifles.

1385AD - First can we afford communism this time? Apparently not - it is still doubtful. Our cannons are able to redline all exposed Dutch units, with shots to spare!

1390AD - Communism is still doubtful, but steam is due next turn, so we can trade then. Some Dutch frigates have reached our mainland. Rotterdam is 4 tiles away, so again, we have moved one step into Dutch territory with a force that will charge Rotterdam next turn. With all the rifles that moved out earlier, the armies and some extra cavalry should be able to take the city.

The Rotterdam penninsular -

1395AD - Steam Power comes in. We check on England - Liz also knows Industrialisation and ironclads. Not sure why England reserached ironclads when they already have man-o-wars and they are somewhat souped up versions in comparison to PTW man-o-wars. Steam power and 17 gold gets me communism off the French. Hannibal wanted about 600 gold in addition to steam. He really would not have got much use out of it in his little one city state, though.

Near Holwerd we go 1-1 frigates versus privateers. I believe these ships are of Dutch origin!

Seige of Rotterdam - The first cavalry army charges in and kills two rifles units. The second cavalry army duplicates this feat. Then the mantle of battle is passed on to the individual cavalry units. Two cavalry charges and no losses later,

Also at least one ship is destroyed in port. We have 7 cavalry that could charge the Hague, but the odds on each combat are only about 26% in our favour, so we resist the temptation. We will soften the Hague with our armies first next turn. South of Groningen we first bombard a frigate with ours, scoring two hits. Then we attack with our second frigate, but lose the action, redlining the enemy.

The railnet on the mainland commences.

IT - The English complete Universal Suffrage.

1400AD - Seige of the Hague - The first cavalry army kills one rifle, but dies against the second, although leaving it redlined! That was 9hps! We continue the assault with the second cavalry army, but it is retreated! Hopefully the PRNG will play nicer when we send in the individual cavs! Two cavs up, two rifles down leaving a conscript. We send in an elite, but he dies. A fourth cavalry, finally kills the promoted conscript, and the Hague is now in the jands of the Vikings.

IT -

A Dutch two frigates plus galleon force is almost upon Sicily. Probably an invasion force. Sicily is not well prepared to handle this with only MI and cannons as offensive forces. ON defence there are rifles of course.

1405AD - Units advance to Edrine for pickup and deployment at Utrecht.

IT - Dutch troops land in the Roman lands (all of one MI).

1415AD - Our troops land by Utrecht. We buy medicine off France for 2978 gold. We then sell her iron for 11 gpt.

IT - The Dutch finally land a single cavalry in Sicily. We also sink a frigate and a privateer in defense.

1420AD - In celebration of the feeble Dutch landing, an elite MI steps up to the mark, and

Hubba becomes an army.
Seige of Utrecht - Seven hits are scored from the cannons available. Then the second cavalry army moves in and kills two rifles - down to 7hp. We decide we had better try and keep the army, and so move to cavalry. We get one retreat, two dead rifles, a dead longbow and Utrecht is now Viking.

Great to have u back, those were the longest five days of my life. Nicely played, hope to here more from u.

1420AD cont - I have been pondering the continued war on the Dutch. The Dutch holdingds are now reduced to a five city island (the New Dutch Territories, NDT) and three single city islands, including one which is a single tile islet. During the campaign against the Dutch in Turkey (the original Dutch, Ottoman landmass), I checked whether I could get this Dutch islet in a peace treaty. At best it was always doubtful. I don't fancy building the necessary berserks for an assault against rifles, so unless we can rip through the cities in the NDT, I probably can not destroy the Dutch until marines!

The other point about the NDT is that the territory has no strategic significance whatsoever. There are no known resources on the island, and no luxury resources, barring two sources of iron which I have in abundance anyway.

On the other side of the equation, these five cities would have been quite corrupt until just now (owing to the palace finally moving there), and so it is probably weakly defended at present. If I leave it alone. it will become much more strongly defended. Also, infantry are not that far away, and cavalry against rifles is much better than cavalry against infantry!

I also want to move to a communist state, even without the SPHQ (which needs espionage, and no-one has this tech yet), and we would find it difficult to react to Dutch landings in our territories during anarchy.

We revolt drawing 7 turns of anarchy! We are still at war with the Dutch, and will look to invade the NDT, unless other events transpire to thwart this plan. The real kicker was that we could get very little from the Dutch for peace. They would not ante up gpt, and so would only pay their world map and 10 gold. Very well, if they want to be destroyed, then so be it!

IT - Carthage and Netherlands sign a trade embargo against us.

1425AD - We set sail for NDT. Four turns until landfall.

IT - Liz comes calling wanting to end our ROP. This is not good. We toss in spices, and get Liz to toss in 16gpt and everyone is friends again.

1430AD - sailing, sailing, sailing

1435AD - zzzz

IT - The Dutch come begging for peace, but they won't cough up a city, and have even less gold to offer. Plus there has been no sign of any further invasion attempt, only pathetic frigate bombardment of some of my coastal cities. Willem, you have got to do better than that!

1440AD - The map of the NDT. The landing site is the hill north of Delft.

We make landfall at our chosen site. I have just realised that I have not brought a single rifle over with me on this campaign! Oh well, I think the Dutch are largely out of puff anyway, here's hoping. We see a regular rifle defending Delft and a single cavalry unit from our hill. Three turns until we are communist.

IT - France has picked up Industrialisation. The Dutch cavalry bolted off into Haarlem, was picked up by a galleon and a fleet of two frigates and a galleon took off, no doubt in another 'scary' invasion attempt of Viking land!

1445AD - Delft has dropped to size 3, I am not sure why. I don't think you can draft at this size! The first action is to load three veteran cavalry units into the third cavalry army, bringing us back up to two active armies. Then the cannons and frigates can bombard. Delft is quickly reduced to two 1hp defenders. We decide to use the slow units. An elite MI steps up and dies. An elite berserk fares far better, and a second elite MI finishes off the defenders, claiming the city of Delft for the Vikings.

Haarlem is within cavalry charging range, but we will use the armies first. This time we are facing veteran rifles. The third cavalry army gets its first taste of action. 1hp and one dead rifle. Now we are dealing with a regular rifle. And a couple of hps later Haarlem joins the Vikings!

Middleburg is now within range of a cavalry charge. The second cavalry army moves first. Again we face a veteran rifle. It takes four hps, but now we face a regular rifle. We run out of movement, but there is another regular rifle. It looks like the individual cavalry regiments will get a workout this battle after all. Two veteran cavalries destroy two regular rifles, and Middelburg joins the Scandinavians.

It is not possible to reach a further Dutch city this turn, unfortunately, so we check if conquering three out of the eight remaining Dutch cities is enough to get one in a peace deal. It is. We check the map. The one tile city is Arnhem. We take Arnhem, 6 gold (the entire Dutch treasury) and the Dutch world map for peace. The Dutch now have two cities left on the NDT, and two corrupt, accessible island cities.

it - We lose our three French luxes, but are able to renew our ROP with them to stop them being furious.

1450AD - Ivory, spices, world map, 54gpt and 667 gold gets us the french luxuries back. That is why we need to consider taking these luxuries off the French for ourselves!

1455AD - The Scandinavian communist state is formed! GPT is at least 100 more than before going commie, and our productivity is far better as well. Now to see if we can research ourselves into a competitive position against the English, and contemplate the next moves. Research is set to 80% on electricity - due in 16, and our cashflow just positive. Now we need to start making libraries and unis to bring this down. Hopefully we will be able to trade electricity for industrialisation.

Top Bottom