• Who cares?

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Add in some other civ.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SvenSlayer

Berserkr
I understand why Firaxis didn't put the Vikings into the game - because then the game would be too big. Someone said that the Vikings shouldn't be in because they were barbarians. Initially, I agreed with him, but then I thought about it. This was my conclusion: IF THE VIKINGS WERE BARBARIOUS THEN THE ZULU DEFINITELY WERE!

Anyway, back to what I actually was going to talk about: I want to make a mod that adds in the Vikings. I have a program called Civ3CopyTool (thanks Grumphos!) so I can add in new civs - I don't have to replace old ones. Who wants the Vikings? Is it worth my effort to put them in the game? If not, which civ should I add in?

Well, if not the Vikings then the Swedes. Looking further on into history after the vikings receded from the global picture I would dare say that us Swedes made up the most "important" ( Civ-wise ) nation in Scandinavia for sure.

Otherwise I suppose the Byzantines, Turks & Mongols could all make good candidates. In my simple opinion of course. :goodjob:

Yes we need the Vikings. They are an interesting civilisation that most people have knowledge of.

I believe they should be militaristic and expansive, even thought they were somewhat commercail also.

Regarding they special units there have ealier been discussed either a longboat (upgraded trireme) or an beserk swordsman that could make amphibious assults.:mad:

The vikings used the flat bottom longboat to go to the shore and quickly attack the poor unprepared defender. I go for the amphibius swordaman as this add some interesting new features to the game. Instead of just an upgraded longboat.

What I did like about Civ II was how there were so many civs to choose from, I wish they'd do that on a mod. And the reasons for the Zulus is so they have a southern African civ on it,

YES, VIKINGS, YES! Civ 3A will have to give us back all of the Civ 2 Civs (as there are limits to attributes, the main difference will be special units and snarling leaders) plus a few big ones that have been missing, like the Incas, Turks, Dutch, etc...

The Vikings definitely deserve to be in it!

The trouble could only be a good SCANDINAVIAN capital.
Since there are so many Swedish and Finnish enthusiasts who have created there own civs (not to mention the new Danish one), Maybe you should base it on the Norweigen Vikings.

I would suggest the ancient city of Birka to be the capital of any potential viking civ... cuz... Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo and Kopenhagen wasn't that important during the vikings era.

Birka facts: http://www.raa.se/birka/eng/birka.htm

r) And yeah, the vikings should be commercial and militaristic.. And a good special-unit would be some sort of boat with great distance...

The trouble could only be a good SCANDINAVIAN capital.

During the viking era when they Brutally invaded Britain the capital was Hedeby (does not exist anymore).

From a dictionary (Hedeby): Danish commercial city from the viking age at Slien in Slesvig. In 900-1000 AD the largest city in Scandinavia.

I believe this must be the capital. Copenhagen was small but Roskilde in Denmark was important. I have no knowledge of the Norwigian and Swedish cities at that time (But I'm sure others have).

Leaders I can think of 1) Harald Bluetooh, 2) Svend Tveskæg or 3)(Gorm the Old)

Why not call them Norse? Sounds a little better than "Viking," which sounds sort of crude by comparison.

Since I have a girlfriend from that Scandinavian neck of the woods who I mistakenly taught to play civ, your efforts on this project could make me a very happy guy.

R.III

Actually, calling vikings barbarians barbarians is not true. Most of the "horror stories" about vikings are products of Christian anti-heathen propaganda machine of its day. Much like the English saying that german soldiers (huns) ate babies during WWI.

It s true that the vikings were ruthless and fearless warriors, and they didnt respect the sancity of monsasteries, but why should they? And they were hardly more ruthless than any other people during those days. Opportunistic yes, barbarians no. And they usally traded when they were outnumbered.

In fact, they were expansionist city builders. Dublin, Limerick, Belfas, York are but a few cities they founded on the British isles. Most the coastal towns on the British isles were founded by Vikings. You cant run o town or a trading network if you kill all the people you meet.

A Swedish viking by name of Rurik founded the kingdom in Rus-land (what was later to become Russia). And of course normans were decendants of vikings who were bought to setled down in northern France in Normandy (Norman= North-man, man from the north) in order to protect the people there from OTHER marauding vikings.

Marlow, you know your history well. The most powerful normans came out of my family, and later they continued to the mediterranean. But that was after my death. I had to pay the price for beeing a hard taskmaster who levied taxes with an iron hand, fuelling the unrest that forced me to flee to Odense. I sought refuge in Kongsgård and later in St. Alban's Church, where I was slain on 10 July 1086. I was canonized in 1101 but prefer to be a king

So please bring me back in the game.

:king:

Need the Vikings back.

The UU should be an ancient boat or something..travels farther maybe. That was their strength was going long distances before everybody else.

Originally posted by Sam_Catchem
Need the Vikings back.

The UU should be an ancient boat or something..travels farther maybe. That was their strength was going long distances before everybody else.

Of course.. the longship!

Rember, Leif Eriksson reached America almost 500 years before Columbus! The longship Should be like the galley but with an increade movement rate, like 4 or 5. That would also increase the chances of discovering new continents by daring crosses over open water.
The longship was not a true ocean vessels and could not caarrie huge amounts of supplies but could travel very fast and cross large bodies of water by "island hopping". Leif Eriksson landed in Newfoundland by crossing the Atlantic via Icean, Greenland and along Canada's norther islands.

The great advantage the longship gave the Vikings was the ability to move fast in shallow water. They used this to attack and plunder and get away before there was time for the victim to get a defence together.

Therefore I think the Viking UU should be some early unit with the ability to do amphibious assult. Could be a replaced archer for example. 2/1/1, cost 20. Call it Norseman for example.

http://www.sciam.com/1998/0298issue/0298halebox3.html

Top Bottom