Virote's Non-Combatant Units

Virote_Considon

The Great Dictator
Hi guys!

Recently, I've been thinking about how there are so few of what I'd deem "non-combatant" units, otherwise termed "units who's primary role isn't direct combat", such as scouts and the like. I've decided to make a few of the more these unit types, based around what I need and feel I can make :cool:. In this thread will be all the:
  • Scouts, explorers and other types of adventurers
  • King units meant for generic "regicide" mode
  • Flag units
  • Leaders and, heavens forbid, maybe even army units some day!
  • Workers and settlers, maybe...
...And so on and so forth which I make. They will all come with a conventional attack, etc., but they will also primarily be tailored around whatever role I see them fitting. If the units would also belong in another of my threads (say I make a Steppe non-combatant), I'll post the updated unit in both, but only bump one thread. :)

Currently, I've only got one unit, but I'm planning on making a fair few more ;)

Explorers:
*German Explorer

The German Explorer is the first unit to be added to this thread!

Based on imperator1962 and Sandris' German units from the 16th century, I needed him for a scenario I'm working on (the German factions are the first civs I'm working on!)

Default, Fidget, Run and Capture animations:

Default, Fortify, the 4 (yes, 4!) attacks and Victory:

(don't worry about the coloration in the victory animation - it's fixed in the .flc!)

Death (separate because I had to alter the size!):

(again, don't worry about the coloration! It's due to a schoolboy error when working on the last two animations!)

German Explorer

Spoiler And the readme! :
German Explorer by Virote_Considon

Credits:
-kinboat (Landsknecht figure, paperdoll)
-Bjornlo (Officer's Sword prop)
-imperator1962 (Borracia prop, inspiration for design from his 16th century Germans and Austrians)
-utahjazz7 (sheath prop, the tutorial which got me started unit-making!)
-Sandris (inspiration for design from his 16th century Germans)
-odintheking (10-frame run animation)
-Moenir (Flicster)
-Steph (SBB, palette tutorial)
-Firaxis (for civ!)
-And all those who've posted in my various poser-related threads!

=============================================================================

Some points and problems to note:

-I decided to go all-out with this unit; giving him animations both for a combat and a non-combat unit! I even
made a "defend" animation!

-Not too satisfied with the fidget animation. I think he moves his feet too much...

-Due to a couple of problems, I had to render the death animation about 3 times! I'm pretty sick of it now! :p

-I don't have any sounds which match up with the "defend" animation :( This is because he essentially re-fortifies from the fortify for 10 frames, then has an additional 20-frame animation which is essentially "Attack D"!

-The green in the units32 icon won't transfer to a default units32 sheet - and there seems to be no suitable green on it. :( Also, I forgot to remove the shadow... although both are barely noticable.

-After I looked at the unit post-rendering, I was fearful that due to the way he fortifies, he might be a little off-centre, and thus his attacks wouldn't hit the opponent. Thankfully, although this is true to an extent, it is, again, not too noticable in-game.

-He seems to be off-centre in the death animation. This is because he has to use a different frame size (hense I had to re-render him). Would anyone care to fix this?

-Overall, I quite enjoyed enjoyed making this unit, my first in a long time!

=============================================================================

German explorer varient. Maybe give him an attack and/or defense stat - I've given him the animations to be able to use them!

Well, I don't have any practical use for it, but I still feel privileged that you sent me a preview while it was a WIP. :thanx:

Nice-looking, too. :thumbsup:

I like the hero pose and the swordfighting is top notch. The fidget, as you've noted is a little busy in the hips, and you'll just have to rethink the death animation, but I like this unit overall. I'd like to see this animation applied to a real swashbuckler - he moves like Errol Flynn.

If you're planning to do adventurers, I'll remind you that there is a particular adventurer that no one has made yet:

This type of adventurer first appeared in the mid-1800's and can still be found today.

Thanks guys :)

For death, did you adjust the offsets to center it with the other animations?
No. I just zoomed the camera out by 50% more and increased the frame size by 50%, assuming that the centering would not change...

I'd like to see this animation applied to a real swashbuckler - he moves like Errol Flynn.
A German Renaissance swashbuckler similar is on my to-do list for regular combatants already! :D

(Kinboat's Man-at-Arms could perhaps be used for one faction, but I have 3 German factions to work with, so I'd like to variate them as much as possible!)

If you're planning to do adventurers, I'll remind you that there is a particular adventurer that no one has made yet:

This type of adventurer first appeared in the mid-1800's and can still be found today.

odintheking posted a preview for an Indiana Jones unit, but he hasn't posted for a while now. I may get round to making one, as a character is based around his previewed unit in EFZI0.

Hey Virote, good idea and first one is very nice. But I humbly request that when you do leaders/kings please still add them also attack animation. I have always liked Sengoku scenario because king units move around and can attack or defend.

Hey Virote, good idea and first one is very nice. But I humbly request that when you do leaders/kings please still add them also attack animation. I have always liked Sengoku scenario because king units move around and can attack or defend.

Don't worry; all the units will have attack animations. That's the thing I hate most about the regular King units that come with the game!

Actually, I'm fairly certain there is an Indian Jones-esque unit, made by Kindred72 waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when.

Actually, I'm fairly certain there is an Indian Jones-esque unit, made by Kindred72 waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when.
Nah, it was Kinboat who made the Adventurer in 2002.

Virote, a great idea of yours, which you made into a great unit :goodjob:

Virote... This is a Great Idea and your German Explorer is a wonderful 1st addition :goodjob:
The Attacks and Movements are Well done and depict the Character of this Unit Very Well.
Concerning The Death... many times less is better. Less distance knocked back in the air or simply an abrupt jerk upwards with less bounce could be what you are looking for.

Top Bottom