1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Virote's Unit Previews

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Virote_Considon, Sep 25, 2006.

1. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Well, some Poser dudes could give you some tips or whatever, but there's a simple solution: a little c'n'p. Just go in to the storyboard, and paint a few pixels in to make it look right.

2. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Chieftain

You probably have IK chains on it.
    The fact that it is twisting means that it is parented ok... But something is keeping it from rotating with the figure.
    Also check did the zero the figure, conform it to the base unit, etc...

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

I have seen this happen before and I don't know what the cause is. However, I found that it only happens when the Y Rotate of the Rotate Ball is set to exactly 180 degrees. Try setting it to -180, or 179, and see if it works then.

4. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Ah, thanks. I had started worrying that this may affect Diomedes, who uses the same kilt!

I'll od a little test, by setting the "rotate Ball" to -180 degrees, and rendering just the 1st frame.

5. Virote_Considon

Bump! :bump:

I've finally both a) found it in me to open poser, and b) finished Diomedes' cape. Now, can anyone help me come up with a palette for him? Everytime I try, using various methods, it seems to completely ruin him!

If anyone wants to help, then here's the base .bmp:
    Here

6. odintheking

Here's how I do it, quoted from Quinzy's thread where I told him how to do it:

7. Plotinus

That's actually rather cunning. Thanks!

8. Virote_Considon

I tried it. For some reason, it doesn't like being reduced to 256 colours... :(

9. odintheking

Ok, I can help you, but I really need the storyboards individually.

10. Virote_Considon

Thanks, Odin!

Individual Stroyboards

(Note: I've taken out Attack C, as I found a load of errors going through it, with the spear.)

11. Virote_Considon

:bump:

I'm temporarily out of Greece for a moment, to (hopefully) bring you this.

However, I'm running into some problems. As you can see in the image (This version has red circles around the specific parts viewable in this image), there are a few "patches" where the "under layer" comes through. Does anyone know how I could fix this. My current "plan" involves using a lot of primitives to patch 'im up, but there must be an easier way!

Also, I know that he isn't grasping his lighter yet ;)

12. odintheking

Sweet! The easiest way to fix the poke through would be to decrease the scale of the white shirt.

13. Virote_Considon

But then would the Paper Doll show through the shirt?

14. odintheking

Then you make the parts of the paperdoll you don't want seen invisible. That decreases render times, too.

15. Plotinus

Make his chest, arms, etc invisible where they are entirely covered by the shirt. Make the shirt's arms etc invisible where they are entirely covered by the jacket.

If there are still problems, don't make the shirt smaller - make the jacket bigger. In this case (that's Kinboat's Vest figure, right?) increase its scale on the X-axis a little. That should probably sort it out.

If all else fails, apply a bitmap to the underlying surface so that it's the same colour as the outer garment at the problem points. So give him a shirt that's white in the visible parts and black elsewhere. This is a good technique if the bits that are poking through are bits of parts that have other bits that are meant to be visible and therefore cannot be made invisible.

16. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Small suggestion. Use another pants prop, I`m pretty sure there is one not so wide and baggy (around the boots). These guys wear tight jeans, in most cases really tight, but a normal pants prop would apply here too, cos of the scale.

See, if you remove the hair, you get my brother some 5 years ago, so I know what I`m talking about ;)

17. Virote_Considon

If you remove the hair, colour the shirt black, and leave the trousers as they are, you have me now :p

I'll look into it, although I think the trousers do well for your average street thug :)

18. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Oh, I thought it was supposed to be punker.. They`re OK for a thug! :D

19. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

Ok, Im not sure what this unit is supposed to be, but I see it as a Punk kid about to throw a bottle...In that case it looks great...

I cant comment on Eurpean punkers, but if I were to change his garb, Id make the pants :dirtier" or black...remove the bulge where they are tucked into the boots...maybe lower the boots, as most American punk kids (that I know) wear either 10 or 13 holed boots...not knee highs...

Love the hair...I think its perfect...cant wait to add this unit to BfNY

20. Virote_Considon

@Spacer: He's just supposed to be some random thug off the streets who various "corporations" can hire to do their dirty work for them, with some punk influences. ;) The Bottle will hopefully be a Molotov Cocktail when I'm done with it, but it might take a while to set everything up!

The colour of his trousers is going to be civ coloured, because I don't think his hair alone will be enough. The boots I would say are tall enough.

I don't know why no-one likes the trousers that he's wearing. Maybe he doesn't have a sister to steal them off, or something :lol: