Virtual rape hits GTA, usual lot outraged

Quackers

The Frog

Link to video.

First of all, technically is this possible to do on the official servers?
I imagine you have too seek out and join a private server which carries this option?

Secondly, we already depict extreme violence and murder on various games. Why is rape so special?

Anyone think this is a genuine issue? This whole story made me laugh.

Thoughts?

'Frightening and disgusting trend.'
It's ridiculous and not even funny. The police is investigating modders now? Just ban that crap from the public servers if it isn't already (and it probably is).
People need to calm the F down.

Well im sure this invalidates the problem of rape because

I imagine you have too seek out and join a private server which carries this option?

Probably.
No way that you can just "hijack" a life session and do something, which is not meant to be there (okay, okay, that's simplified, for sure).

-> you must have looked for it.
If you seek for crap online, you'll find crap online. If you engage in it, that's your choice. Therefore this is most likely a non issue for the vast majority of people.

Well if they're cheating and screwing up other people's games then they should be banned. From the video, the "rape" looks laughably simulated. I mean, it's literally just a player bent over and another player moving backward and forward so that it kind of sort of looks like they're having sex. You know, if you're 13, that sort of thing could be hilarious. I don't see how anyone is actually harmed by this though.

There are really only two ways someone can actually be harmed by any of this:
1) If their characters are being hacked and their ingame experience is screwed up by other people
2) If the hackers are harassing them via chat or message and for some reason can't be blocked easily (cos, like, they're hackers and stalkers)

Beyond that, this is just the media making something out of some of the dumbest crap I've ever seen.

Why is rape considered worse than murder? I don't think there's any way to bring people back from being murdered. Real life has no magic defibrillators.

Well you can justify killing people whereas you can never justify rape. I think that within the fictional world of GTA, you can sort of justify murder as "it's a dog eat dog world out there -- it's kill or be killed". Whereas with rape, there's really no way of justifying that, even considering that you're a hardened criminal who thinks nothing of stealing or murdering. That's just my initial gut feel though; I'm willing to be talked out of it.

Well you can justify killing people whereas you can never justify rape. I think that within the fictional world of GTA, you can sort of justify murder as "it's a dog eat dog world out there -- it's kill or be killed". Whereas with rape, there's really no way of justifying that, even considering that you're a hardened criminal who thinks nothing of stealing or murdering. That's just my initial gut feel though; I'm willing to be talked out of it.

In the virtual world of Rapetown, it's rape or be raped. At Funbeard's.

CityNews actually used to be a fantastic local news outlet, before they were bought, about a decade ago, by a large crappy cable company, and were converted into the usual bug-eyed paranoid crap that passes for local "news" reporting.

You can also just shoot people in the face who aren't part of the doggy underworld and there's not much of an excuse for that. I think there's something else to it besides the lack of justification.

One thing that's sort of disturbing though is that there's really no payoff for the "rapist" other than the joy of controlling another players' character and humiliating them sexually. From a psychological standpoint, I'd say they probably need to seek professional help.

@Goodfella: I suppose so. I'll have to think about it.

One thing that's sort of disturbing though is that there's really no payoff for the "rapist" other than the joy of controlling another players' character and humiliating them sexually. From a psychological standpoint, I'd say they probably need to seek professional help.

Or they're just stereotypical teenaged online gamers and will soon grow out of it.

controlling another players' character person and humiliating them sexually.

For whatever reason this strikes a chord with people more than shootings which is why rape scenes in movies are always more disturbing than murder scenes.

From a psychological standpoint, I'd say they probably need to seek professional help.
What about the virtual war criminals on this forum?

Sorry I should have put /s at the end or something. I was really just trying to insult the cheaters by implying they suffered from sexual inadequacy.

For whatever reason this strikes a chord with people more than shootings which is why rape scenes in movies are always more disturbing than murder scenes.

That's an interesting, and truthful, point.

I wonder if it's not due to the fact that the taboo nature of sex in our society means we have less exposure to it. I mean, even Disney movies for kids might have a character murdering another, but there'll be no sex, let alone rape. So we're more than used to seeing people getting whacked, since before we were old enough to remember. But people getting raped? We don't see that often enough to avoid getting shocked when we do.

In GTA you do kill a lot of civilians, police and emergency personal.
If you could have male on male rape, in jail I suppose that could be ok, as it sends a message to avoid being a criminal and ending up in prison. :confused:

Top Bottom