1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Visa fraud vs Diplomatic immunity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by druidravi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

If that woman is so hurt over being strip-searched in jail, wait until the IRS gets ahold of her. She's liable for a percentage of wages based on hours at minimum wage for social security and medicare tax for the employee.

edit: oh and unemployment

2. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Actually, I was reffering to a similar case...last year I think? An Italian Diplomat perjured himself in an Indian Court. The Indian Supreme Court ruled that he had waived his Diplomatic Immunity by submitting his testimony to an Indian Court. Because the man requested that the court take his testimony into consideration, he can't well object that it considered against him.

That precedent could legitimately apply here. The diplomat submitted legally binding testimony to Immigration and Naturalization Services, which holds legal authority over immigration matters as a court does and requires you to acknowledge that anything you submit can be used against you in a court of law.

The case could be legitimately made, especially under Indian Law, that the woman waved her diplomatic immunity when she committed the fraud.

3. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Go on...

4. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

5. bhsup

bhsup Deity

That should not be allowed to happen once someone has been charged with a crime.

What if, just spitballing here, some Ruskie on vacation here assassinated the President and then the Ruskies appoint that person their ambassador to the UN? No. Very dangerous precedent.

6. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

I'm actually supremely annoyed about this. But not surprised. If I'm honest about it, there's no way we were ever going to prioritize concern about the human trafficing/labor abuse of brown women over international politics. -1 perception point for our own international and domestic politics. -2 perception points for the Indian government and the Indian citizens incensed about this.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

That, sir, is disingenuous.

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

No, it is not. It's an extreme example, yes, but the situation is not different. Foreigner commits crime and currently does not have diplomatic immunity. Foreigner is arrested. Foreigner's government appoints criminal foreigner to a post that has diplomatic immunity. Criminal foreigner is deported instead of answering for crime. It doesn't matter whether the crime is human slavery trafficking or assassination, it shouldn't be allowed.

9. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Only diplomatic immunity is meaningless in the context of a serious crime, much less assassinating a president would be an act of war.

10. bhsup

bhsup Deity

You don't think human trafficking is a serious crime? That's basically what happened here.

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

You're perpetrating oversimplification, man.

12. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Fine. Lets bulletproof VRWCAgent point instead of discussing it in the context it was given in. What if this lady raped and killed a little boy. Then the India Government got her appointed to the UN to invoke diplomatic immunity.

Being that doesn't arise to a threat of national security, we're good right?

13. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

People who rape and kill little boys don't strike you as security threats?

14. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Uh, no, she was not a diplomat the time of her offenses and arrest. She was a consular officer, covered by an entirely different treaty/convention than diplomats. She only became a diplomat later, when she accredited to the UN (which was done only for the purposed of getting her covered by the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations rather than the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations). Consular immunities are much more limited than diplomatic. 1. they cover far fewer subject matters, with consular officers only getting immunity for actual official consular business, no immunity for personal or residential activities eg no immunity for the maid and visa matter. 2. They only cover the chief consular officer (which she was in this case), whereas diplomatic immunity also covers the family and most of the staff of the accredited diplomat.

15. RedFred

RedFred Chieftain

The US authorities had a situation. There were many options for addressing the situation. The option they picked was not a good one.

I was in India for the last two weeks of December. This issue was headline news the whole time. The Khobragade arrest and strip search was seen as an affront against all of India and it has angered many.

16. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

The US can choose to withdraw diplomatic benefits from a country. Doing this risks damaging relations with said country however.

17. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

So now she smuggled this woman into the country and was trying to sell her?

Employing someone contrary to the law is hardly "human trafficking". It isn't even a felony.

18. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Formy, stop baiting. Everyone knows the score.

19. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Perhaps I engage in a bit of hyperbole (but hey, not much) with that phrase, but I was basing it on this info from that link above.

"confiscated Richard's passport and refused to return it and refused her requests to quit and return home to India." So what is that? forced servitude, aka slavery, or not???

20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

It's really kinda novel, I get to spend most of my time being angered by my own people being dippy hicks, this is certainly a twist!