Visiting DC this summer. Travel advice needed.

Ajidica

High Quality Person
As the thread title says I'm visiting DC this summer with my mother as part of my graduation 'party'. I know we have a couple people here from around DC and plenty of people who have been to DC so do you guys have any reccomendations on what I should visit (and approximately how much time I should expect to spend in different areas)? Also, for those who know DC fairly well, any areas I should avoid when getting a hotel?

I would like to clarify that we won't have access to a car. Bus and rail is all that is available to me.

If you're willing to brave the rough streets of Baltimore the National Aquarium is a day/part of a day's trip, that's a little outside DC but plenty accessible still and if you're interested in that sort of thing. Obviously you can easily spend a couple days sightseeing around the capital, I don't have any specific recommendations.

There are so many things to see you should maybe make a list of what interests you, and plot out on a map what is close to what. That may help you plan out your time to reduce travel times.

Yeah, the Baltimore aquarium is really worth the money and the time, if you have the time .to to take the train out.

VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING, the NW part of DC is the "nice" part, the NE part is touch and go, and the SE section is rough. If i'm not staying on a friend's couch, I usually try to get a hotel in the burbs (but still connected to the Metro), since places in NW tend to be pretty expensive.

I'm a big fan of the American History museum and Air and Space. The Vietnam Wall should also be seen, and if you have the money, i really like the NEWSuem, which is newer.

Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan are the places to go for food and nightlife, although there is also music on U St.

Air and Space also has that neat annex out in Fairfax County, the Udvar-Hazy Center, where they put a lot of the stuff that wouldn't fit in the DC museum. Pretty awesome.

Not sure if I'd rate the Baltimore Aquarium that highly, but it is fun, if you're okay with being in Baltimore.

Like dt said, don't spend much time in Anacostia, if any at all; the only reasons to go there are to catch Nats games (ew) and to experience the slightly esoteric nightlife that's emerging there (lots of yuppie-type people moving in there lately for unclear reasons). Should be a lot of hotels in NoVA and NW if you want a decent place to stay.

Also, I vote we use this opportunity for a meetup :3

Baltimore is not worth the day trip given you do not have much time in DC. Sorry Baltimore. It takes forever to get out there by train. And Dachs, he will not have a car so he can't get out to the Air and Space Annex.

Pay the extra money and get a hotel around Crystal City / Pentagon City. Very central to see alot of stuff, will save you time, you are on the metro.

Contact your congressperson, they can get you a WH tour.
Eat Lunch @ Five Guys
You can budget one full day to nothing but the smithsonians on the mall.

My advice is that you stay for more than a day. And Arlington is not worth four or five hours. You know, I tried to tell that to my dad. It's JUST a graveyard. Nothing exciting has ever come out of a graveyard.

My advice is that you stay for more than a day. And Arlington is not worth four or five hours. You know, I tried to tell that to my dad. It's JUST a graveyard. Nothing exciting has ever come out of a graveyard.
Depends on whether you have a military ID or not. :3

I live near that graveyard and I agree that it isn't that interesting. I'm not sure what advice can be offered.
You should do all the regular touristy stuff just to say you did

-Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson memorials/monuments
-National Mall museums
-the Capitol building. If you could get a pass from your state congressman that you actually go inside the House of Representatives
-Walk about Georgetown (most people in Arlington rave about Georgetown)
-DC/Northern Virginia has a lot of good bike trails if you like biking
-Enjoy one of the cleaner metro systems of the United States
-Go to the graveyard anyway and see the Dutch bell towers and the Iwo Jima memorial
-the Pentagon (although not that interesting)
-Eat at Five Guys if there aren't any near you (First one ever is in Arlington!!!)
-See the world famous panda at the zoo
-See the US most famous documents in the National Archives-The Magna Carta was actually in town when I went a few weeks ago, I don't no how long its staying though
-the botanical gardens
-white house and you can park at the world famous willard hotel

The Magna Carta?? As in, King John at Runnymede in 1215?

If you're going to be in and around the GW law school campus you should drop by, I'll buy you a beer. Or you can buy me a beer.
And you will quickly find yourself in court, I'm 17. :p

Thanks for the ideas and reccomendations everyone!

The Magna Carta?? As in, King John at Runnymede in 1215?

How DARE those American barbarians even touch those sacred English documents...

Only one copy (a 1297 copy with the royal seal of Edward I) is in private hands; it was held by the Brudenell family, earls of Cardigan, who had owned it for five centuries, before being sold to the Perot Foundation in 1984. This copy, having been on long-term loan to the US National Archives, was auctioned at Sotheby's New York on 18 December 2007; The Perot Foundation sold it in order to "have funds available for medical research, for improving public education and for assisting wounded soldiers and their families."[103] It fetched US$21.3 million,[104] It was bought by David Rubenstein of The Carlyle Group,[105] who after the auction said, "I thought it was very important that the Magna Carta stay in the United States and I was concerned that the only copy in the United States might escape as a result of this auction." Rubenstein's copy is on permanent loan to the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

edit: that's wiki btw

Most of the worthwhile stuff in DC is on the National Mall or near to that. All the museums, most of the monuments, the White House, and most of the famous buildings in DC are along that giant green stretch. The National Cathedral can be seen from there, but it's a few miles away atop a hill. Worth the trip through NW to get to it though. That's the best part of town, like DT said.

Also, make sure you give us the dates so we can have a meetup! Just don't let Jericho take you to a 21/over place for lunch! :lol:

As for the National Aquarium, getting there sans car is rather easy, just hop on a MARC train (local commuter) for half an hour up to Camden Yards, the aquarium is about a 20 minute walk from the station through the Inner Harbor, which is really the only part of Baltimore worth seeing. I don't know where you're from, but the aquarium is probably best saved for a possible second trip to the area, there's a lot in DC that you'll want to see your first time here.

I also seem to remember that Union station is also worth a visit all on it's own. But considering you don't have a car, you will probably go there mostly for other reasons than admiring the architecture.

I've noticed alot of people reccomending the Aqarium in Baltimore, how does it compare to the aqarium in Chicago?

Dunno, but I liked the New Orleans aquarium better

You could also go check out the George Washington Masonic Memorial if you're around Alexandria. Maybe I could get my Uncle to give you a tour. It's a pretty neat place. Also old town Alexandria in general is pretty rad, yo.

There's this sushi place named Wasabi that has this conveyor belt thing that I really like.

Dunno, but I liked the New Orleans aquarium better

Really? I think Shedd (Chicago) and Baltimore were waaay better than the NoLa one. I admit though, im a little biased because im mad at the nola aquarium for not taking my students on a field trip.

Forgetg 5 guys, its basically national chain now. If you want a DC greasy spoon, go to Ben's Chili Bowl on U st.

Top Bottom