visiting sweden for 6 months! need help

hopefully swedish civ players can help me out here. Me and two of my friends, have around 6 months in between high school and our first year in college, and have decided to "visit" sweden for during this time. We have around 70,000 krona, and will probably work there.
I have a few questions what would be the best option in terms of accomadations, since its such an extended period of time, I don't think an ordinary hotel will work, it will end up being too costly. We thought of renting an apartment, but the owners probably would want us to have jobs. what are your suggestions and "tips", tack sa mycket

Well, it depends on where you're going. It's quite hard to get an appartment in Stockholm, while in some small (boring) towns they just throw them at you.
I think you need a work permit of some kind if you're a foreigner, but I don't know if you have to get it from your country, or can get it here.
I think we have some sort of official representation in CA, check that out before going, they should be able to help you out.
Youth Hostels are usually cheaper than hotels.

Like mrtn said, it totally depends on where you are staying.

What kind suggestions and 'tips' are you looking for? Only regarding living arrangements?

RagingBarbarian said:
hopefully swedish civ players can help me out here. Me and two of my friends, have around 6 months in between high school and our first year in college, and have decided to "visit" sweden for during this time. We have around 70,000 krona, and will probably work there.
I have a few questions what would be the best option in terms of accomadations, since its such an extended period of time, I don't think an ordinary hotel will work, it will end up being too costly. We thought of renting an apartment, but the owners probably would want us to have jobs. what are your suggestions and "tips", tack sa mycket

you could rent a place, and pay ahead for the time youre gonna live there, i dont think theyre gonna demand anything from you, if you pay ahead

forget hostels and hotels, no good for 6 months, try to find a furnished apartment, you can prolly contact a few agencies online

look around

Either see if you can rent an apartment, or if you can rent a room in someone's house. Someone whose children just moved out and they feel the house is a bit too empty e.g... Don't know how common it is in Sweden, but it seemed pretty common here in Manchester.:) See if you can pay ahead maybe.

Where are you moving btw? Gothenburg is to recommend? When are you moving? Christmas?

this will probably be around september/october of next year, what cities would you suggest? we were thinking Gutenburg, but like Stockholm may be too expensive, we also thought of jonkoping, as a place to live, and travel to other cities, like Gutenburg and Stockholm from there.
any tips on the whole subject would be helpful.
I'm going to have around 3 weeks off for christmas, and I will probably go and ask questions at the swedish embassy, its around 20 miles from where I live.
thanks for the help.

Anyone have any idea of costs for an 2 person studio apartment, or a 1 bedroom standard apartment, in stockholm? in terms of krona.

That depends on if you have a bought apartment or just rented.
I've bought mine and only pay 1632 krona/month, which is very cheap.
It's quite different if you live in a suburb one hour away from town or right down in city, city is much more expensive (and hard to find appartments). I think it would be good if you guys get a larger apartment out in one of the more unpopular suburbs, you should get 3 or 4 rooms for maybe 5000/month.
It's really quite hard to say some sort of standard price, it varies from maybe 2000 to 6000 for a like-size apartment, depending on standard and location...
BTW, lots of Swedes have problems finding places to live in Stockholm, it really is the sellers market...

I will definetly look into that, you do have a great deal on yours

You should visit Copenhagen while you're in Sweden. It's no different than visiting a state next to California.

storealex said:
You should visit Copenhagen while you're in Sweden. It's no different than visiting a state next to California.
You should visit other big European cities as well while over in Europe. If you time it right, you should be able to get a weekend flight pretty cheap from e.g. Gothenburg to London. I payed ~125kr (including tax) one way with Ryan air. Look for drives in the news paper and be quick on them. Try going skiing as well if you haven't done it before, best activity ever.:)

yes, being Sweden we also have an excuse to visit other places in Europe, I have heard about Ryan air's cheap trips to London. We plan to work as well, because we wouldn't have enough money for a non-working 6 month stay, working will cut into our leisure time, but we still have weekends. Working in sweden will give us an experience that the average toursit will never experience.

What sort of work did you expect to get?
You really need to sort out immigration issues, it might not be quite as straight forward as you presume.

I know a lot of Americans in Denmark work at Dominos Pizza, it's easy to get a job there for Englishspeakers, and it feels like home.

yes, thats they kind of work we were looking to do, when we go to the embassy, we are probably going to file for residency permits, since six months, or even upto a year if we decide to stay that long, will require we have permits. from my understanding residency permits also come with work permits.

storealex said:
I know a lot of Americans in Denmark work at Dominos Pizza, it's easy to get a job there for Englishspeakers, and it feels like home.
Domino's not to common here. You might find an odd one in the big cities, same with Pizza hut. McDonalds is a lot more common though, and BK.

Top Bottom