1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

^$#%&@! Vista

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by DBear, Jan 11, 2008.

1. DBear

DBear unbeliever

Unfortunately, my old Win'98 computer that ran for 8 years got fried in a lightning storm, so I had to get a new computer with Vista. I got Civ3 to run ok, but it won't let me change the config.ini file. I wanted to add the "Barbarians Fix", but it won't let me save the line.

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

The problem you're having is with User Account Control - it needs to be turned off to modify files under "C:\Program Files". I got rid of Vista last month, but IIRC the way to turn it off is as follows:

1. Go to Control Panel. Change to Classic View (I don't know the new one and this one is closer to Win98 anyways).

2. Go to User Accounts. On the left side there should be a text link that says something along the lines of "turn user account control on or off". Click that.

3. Make sure the box for using user account control is not checked (you'll have to de-check it). Click "Apply" or "OK". Restart your computer (it will tell you to) and User Account Control will be off.

The tradeoff of not having user account control on is that you lose a little bit of security, but the benefit isn't that great (even XP doesn't have it, and that's 80% of computers), and at least you can modify your Program Files then. I certainly would agree Windows 98 > Vista.

3. ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001 Chieftain

Do NOT disable UAC just so you can edit a text file(!)

Simply save the text file to your desktop, save the edits, and copy back over the one in the Civ3 directory. Yes, it's that simple.

UAC prevents any software/spyware/malware/viruses installing themselves or messing with your Windows or Program Files directory without you knowing about it first.

4. Macezek

Macezek Warlord

You could actually get around all that by not installing games into your Program Files directory. If you make a folder in your hard drive named Games and install all your games there, not only is it more organized and easier to find things, but you can edit files without UAC bothering you.

5. ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001 Chieftain