1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Vive l'Empereur!": another D+3 Succession

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Andu Indorin, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Ow, ow ow. :cry:

2. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

I assume it's my turn now ?

Unfortunately it seems this not going to be the third D+ succession game in a row where I am the first player to use nukes :D. We do not quite have the techs required yet, meaning I'll probably build lots and lots of howitzers and spies instead. Guessing the purpose of this is left as an exercise for the reader ;).

BTW should we allow the use of nukes (this was mentioned in passing earlier) ? This might affect my choice of tech path.

3. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Yes. I'm sure my salary will be docked accordingly for sending a fully-loaded transport out without protection.
    Did I mention that at the end of my presidency, the "grateful" people built the S.S. Stegyre trireme and sent me on a one-way voyage?

4. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

All seems well in Frenchland. I'll be back on Thursday and can take my turns after Viking if that's OK with everyone.

I guess we can leave the nuke question up to the individual players. Personally, I think it gives the player a decided advantage as we will use them strategically while the AI seems to enjoy bombing randomly. Much the same way would the player take better advantage of bribery and the like. Part of the challenge in D+ games is to clear large cities that are heavily defended. A few nukes in nearby cities along with some in a sub somewhere can allow the player to devastate a rival with one or two ground units. Or completely wipe one out in a turn with enough ground support.

I guess some might argue that nukes, in a case like this where we probably won't face a true challenge or spaceship launch, will speed the endgame and allow us to get on to something else. I can see that point, so whatever you all decide is fine.

5. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I don't use nukes (too messy) but don't see any reason why that should limit anyone else's playing style or choices.

6. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

Oh dear, and with the Lighthouse having expired. ...

7. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

"Here, Minister Stegyre, your 'yacht' is this one right here."
    "It isn't quite what I imagined. Is it supposed to have those holes in it?"
    "Oh, yes, Minister! Those are the new underwater portholes for deep sea viewing."
    "But shouldn't they have glass in them? It seems it will be very wet, otherwise."
    "Oh, no, we don't want anything coming between you and a fully-immersive nautical experience, sir."
    "Why, thank you, I didn't realize the people were so appreciative, sniff." (Wipes away a tear.) "Where should I sail."
    "Just sail out of the harbor and toward the lighthouse."
    "Lighthouse? What lighthouse?"
    [Shove into boat] "Just sail toward the light, Minister. Remember: go toward the light."
    [Drifting away from shore, muttering under his breath] "'Go toward the light.' Isn't that what that woman said to the ghosts in Poltergeist?" [Slosh, slosh, glub . . . glub . . . ]

8. TheViking

In case anyone was wondering I haven't forgotten that it's my turn :D. However, I've been rather busy but I'm now finally making some progress and will finish playing tomorrow (Saturday) or on Sunday.

9. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

No prob. Been keeping too busy myself.

10. TheViking

Progress report: I'm finishing turn 4 now. One AI civ has been eliminated and another one will be eliminated next turn. And something very fun *might* happen on my 5th and last turn...

11. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

:viking: + :nuke: = :wallbash:

;)

12. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

:lol: :hatsoff:

13. TheViking

Sorry I couldn't resist being the first player to do this for the third game in a row :D :

Reign of President Nu Clear the I

1786 AD (0): Move some armors and howitzers in preparation for invading the Ningpo/Yangchow island. Rush buy several engineers and howitzers. Rush several freights demanded by the Egyptians.

1788 AD (1): Chinese government overthrown. Someone discovers leadership (!). The Mongols report that they are now at war with the Romans. Zulus discover Mobile Warfare. Chinan captured, $61 plundered. Move several engineers from England to China. Saint Emilion dye to Giza (D; $747). Oxford copper to Giza (D; $680). Canterbury dye to Heliopolis (D; $275). Avignon gold to Cremona (D; $444).

1790 AD (2): Chinese switch to fundamentalism. Romans acquire MW from the Zulus in exchange for Combustion. Zulus acquire flight from the Chinese in exchange fro MW. The wealthiest civs according to Tacitus: Zulus, Mongols, Egyptians, Romans, French, Chinese. We discover Nuclear Fission. Pollution is now a rapidly increasing problem. Kaifeng captured, $108 plundered. Yangchow captured, $25 plundered. Ningpo captured, $32 plundered. CHINESE CIVILIZATION DESTROYED BY THE FRENCH !! Random Settled dye to Alexandria (D; $211). Random Settled oil to Giza (D; $826). Saint Emilion dye to Thebes (D; $428).

1792 AD (3): Intombe captured, $300 plundered. Norwich copper to Hieraconpolis (D; $374). Cheese Valley gems to Hieraconpolis ($314). Avignon hides to Hieraconpolis ($226). Warwick silver to Hieraconpolis (D; $447). Anyang oil to Pi-Ramesses (D; $411).

1794 AD (4): The Egyptians discover computers, start SETI. We discover advanced flight. Lugdunum (Roman) razed. Viroconium (Zulu) captured, $324 plundered. Pisae (Roman) captured, $107 plundered. York oil to Memphis (D; $570). Cumae (Roman) captured, $235 plundered. The Egyptians demand our audience. Refused and nothing happens (phew !). Brie oil to Pi-Ramesses (D; $285). London silk to Memphis (D; $888). Canton copper to Giza (D; $384). Leeds copper to El-Amarna (D; $288). Dover coal to Pi-Ramesses (D; $294). Coventry dye to Giza ($276). We now have $5709 and will discover rocketry next turn so it's time for some fun...
    Rush buy Manhattan Project for $2364 in Canton and SETI program for $2348 in Nottingham. Rush buy some spies too.

1796 AD (5): Global warming feared. We discover rocketry. Nottingham builds SETI, the Egyptians abandon it. Canton builds Manhattan Project. The many Mongol caravans on our railroads in China force the construction of a few 'bypasses'. ONE OF OUR SPIES PLANTS A NUKE IN ROME (required a few attempts). Surround Rome to prevent partisans next to the to it (i.e. next to the unit that captures it), $269 plundered. Ravenna captured, $222 plundered. ROMAN CIVILIZATION DESTROYED BY THE FRENCH !! Chengdu dye to Thebes (D; $270). York wine to Hieraconpolis (D; $560). Brighton wine to Hieraconpolis (D; $410). Rush buy some mass transits.

I decided to stop here to allow my successor to make decisions even though the turn isn't finished. The biggest issue is probably that my feeling is our alliance with the Egyptians may soon end. This is bad for two reasons, firstly I've been sending several demanded caravans there each turn and there's still demand (oil has been especially nice). Secondly we are extremely badly prepared for the war that inevitably follows soon after the alliance ends. There's not a singe military unit on our main island (unless you count transports and one spy). We need more units there immediately.

Also I made the game more challenging by building MP. If someone successfully steals rocketry we're going to get nuked. So we need lots of spies to guard against this or SDIs once we have the required techs.

Speaking of military matters, our next obvious target is either the Egyptains or the Mongols. However, we'll need lots of howitzers or a few turns until stealth is discovered.

Also maybe we should use nukes sparingly in order not to make this too easy (maybe only one or two nukes per player).

I received a global warming warning on my last turn. I cleaned up a lot of pollution on that turn and rushed some mass transits. However, railroad construction was the main priority during my first 4 turns to enable me to reach the Romans and some isolated Zulu cities.

Attached Files:

14. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Former Minister Stegyre looked up from his bailing. The gunwales of the boat were nearly level with the surrounding ocean, and sometimes he wondered if there wasn't perhaps more water in the boat than outside. A sudden bright light flashed just over the horizon, lighting the entire evening sky. A few minutes later, he heard the rumble of the shockwave. "Oh my, fireworks!"

15. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

And it turns out that the yacht was far more seaworthy than previously thought, and quite well stocked with suplies, as the former minister was still alive after five years. ;)

16. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Fish. He's been eating lots and lots of fish.

17. TheViking

I wonder if my use of a nuke was such a huge shock that it scared everyone away :D.

Whose turn is it now ?

18. golem

golem Warlord

It is my turn now. I will be ready soon, sorry for delay. I was terribly busy preparing the rescue operation for former president Stegyre. He must survive.

19. golem

golem Warlord

15 August 1796 – First meeting of president Golem with his war-cabinet..

Dear generals, former president Viking appoint to the fact, that our home island is undefend, and our alliance with Egypt is not very strong. What do you offer? Build riflemen, mech infrantry in every city?

No, president it is useless.

Why? These units has good defence.

Sooner or longer they will have nukes, and our units would be destroyed anyway.

We can build SDI.

No, we have too much cities and this would be expensive.

So what do you offer?

We suggest to build small force of quick response and attach Egypt – sooner the better. Everybody know it is only self-defence.

But what about our reputation. We have to be spotless , haven’t we dear foreighn minister Andu?

Yes we have to. But our diplomats will forced Egypt to war. I offer … He was interupted by huge noice under the window.

What is it – asked president Golem.

OH, that is former president Stegyre. His trireme sailed several time around the world and now he is here. People love him, trust him, wants him to lead them again.

OH we have to do something with this. Bring Mr. Stegyre here.

Dear Stegyre, you are the best sailor in the world so Our majesty president Golem decided to give you our fleet in Rome with the order attach Zulu’s home island.

But sir, there are no ships.

No problem Admiral Stegyre, you will build them and you will attack Zulus. This the end of audience, I am tired. Bring me my wine, call for music and girls. Next meeting will be hold 16 April 1798 – it is my birthday.

The next 10 years spend president Golem with love, drinks and hashis. He did not care of his people and they did not care of him. Only every two years he asked his Ministers three questions.
    A – What money brought me my freights?
    B – What our planned war with Egypt?
    C – What about admiral Stegyre.

He received this answers.

A – 288g
    B - 10 howitzers prepared, still allied
    C – no news

A – 296g
    B – Nuclear missile + 16 howitzers, still allied, all attempts to cancel alliance failed
    C – Admiral Stegyre is sailing with two undefend transport full of howitzers, armors engineers towards Zulus. This time president Golem was curious and asked more questions? Did he do any survey? No. Are there enemy units? We do not know. It is great, told Golem, they will sunk our transports and people decide themselves what to do with him.

A – nothing, Nuclear power
    B – 20 howitzers, 2 Nuclear missiles, ready for work – but Egypt is terribly busy to speak with us. What to do, minister Andu?
    C – Admiral Stegyre put one destroyer to his fleet. Brrrr.

A – 523g
    B – still the same
    C – sailing

A – 987g, 292g 595g
    B – Nothing. Egypt love us. Our diplomacy love to be spotless.
    C Admiral Stegyre has conquered Isipezi, renamed it to Stegyretown, took 396 g. and in cooperation with senat and foreign minister made peace.

President Golem become furious. He want to kill foreign minister Andu, but he was quicker. People come to the palace, took Golem, throw him from the window…..the only horrible cry was hearable GOLEM WILL RETURN.

In some Golem’s notes was found these sentences.
    - Egypt , 20 howies, SDI would be nice, Laser next turn.
    - I am happy that no pollution is in our beautiful French land

20. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Sorry, I haven't been around here too much lately. I think I'm up next, right?