1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Vive l'Empereur!": another D+3 Succession

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Andu Indorin, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I'm happy for Kev to jump back in too. And Kev, I'm sure we don't mind giving you some time to catch up. But if you don't want to play, then it'll be me next. I'll wait for you to post your decision.

2. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

OK by me.

Welcome home rough rider. ;)

3. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

And I, of course, have awaited your return!!! If you are ready, it would be your turn. If not, then we can have Jayne play her round and you can step in next; or I can follow and you can step in after me -- so long as you don't play your Loki to my Heimdal ;) !

4. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

I'm so sorry everyone.

I kept trying to sign in under my name at home over the weekend, but I wasn't allowed in for some reason.

Anyway, I wasn't planning on playing so I did not check back quickly. Thank you all for giving me the chance to jump in, but I'm so out of it that I think I'll just cheer from the sidelines while you all whoop up on the AI. Looks like a fun and challenging game - should be fun for you all.

Please enjoy, and I'll try to keep in better contact.

5. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Guess that's me up next then!

6. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

1260 ad (0) – English gold van arrives in Norwich from London €5/turn

1280 (1) – Trade €245. Toulouse founded.
    Egyptians develop Engineering and start Issacs. English aquire Sanitation, Economics and Polythism from Chinese.

1300 (2) – Discover Democracy. Start Feudalism. Trade €232 + €360 + €198
    Zulus request audience. Uncooperative, 5 spears. They demand €1000. We say no – war!

1320 (3) – Population +5,000,000. REVOLUTION!
    English nearly completed Eiffel Tower. English gold van arrives in Norwich from York €5/turn

1340 (4) – Democracy! Chinese request audience. Enthusiastic, 3 arrows. We say no to war with Egypt and gifting Monotheism. Exchange maps.
    Nottingham builds Eiffel.

1360 (5) – Much WLTP. Discover Feudalism. Start Wheel (no Theology).
    Speak to Egyptians. Enthusiastic, 4 spears. Exchange Monotheism and Democracy for Wheel and Engineering. Worshipful. Refuse to declare war on English or gift Feudalism. Exchange maps. Trade €116
    Egypt develop Feudalism. English develop Railraod and start Darwins.

1380 (6) – Start Theology. Speak to English hoping to exchange for Railroad. Government overthrown. Neutral, 1 arrow. They want war with Egypt – no. They demand €850 – no – war!. Deliver vans in England before they are killed. Trade €36 + €132 + €252 + €130 + €140 + €198. Many vans purchased ready for Bachs.
    Egyptians declare war on Zulus. English government changes to Monarchy and immediately overthrown again!

1400 (7) – Discover Theology. Start Gunpowder. Bachs started in Peugeot and vans en route.
    Egyptians aquire Explosives, Gunpowder and Steam Engine from the Chinese. Peace treaty signed. English nearly completed Darwins. English government now Republic. Our exploring Ellie killed by Zulu Musketeer.

1420 (8) – Egyptians develop Sanitation and overthrow their government. English complete Darwins. English develop Industrialization and Corporation – start WS.

1440 (9) – Bachs completed with vans and a little money. Speak to Egyptians. Enthusiastic, 4 arrows. Exchange Theology for Sanitation.
    Egypt changes to Democracy.

1460 (10) – Build Bachs! Trade €155. Speak to English as one of our ships finished it's turn next to an ironclad. Government overthrown. Enraged, 1 rifle. They demand €1000. We refuse and war continues.

7. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Great stuff Jayne! :goodjob:

Lots to be proud of. :D :cool:

8. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Looks good! Bach and Demo should really help. Lots of money to spend - and lots of things we could build now that the economy is running smoother.

It would be nice to get Gunpowder from England (soon, before they kill us ;) ) so we can apply our research to something else.

9. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

Great set of turns - with both Mike and Bach most of the unhappiness problems should be gone. The AI civs are developing phenomenally fast, they already have Railroad and Industrialization and yet I feel as if the game has just started.

I notice that the English and the Egyptians have many useful techs that we lack, including explosives, railroad and industrialization. It would probably be a good idea to steal these from the English and try to get the remaining ones as gifts from the Egyptians (or via exchanges).

We really need more embassies to see what the AI is up to.

10. Andu Indorin

Yes, the game has changed quite a bit since I last played ... so much so that I think it may be time to switch from ten to five turns per player. Last time I played, we'd just finished research philosophy and started Monotheism; and now I see that the English have already Industrialized ...

We really are not in position to pursue military conquest -- and given the AI's tech growth, our need is growing. It should pose a considerable challenge given our operating procedure of not bribing cities.

Explosives are a top priority I think ... and the UN would be a good investment if we can use it trade for techs.

11. Andu Indorin

The Reign of Henri IV (1460-1530)

King Henri was not amused. He'd been perturbed ever since that Eiffel fellow sold his services to his English enemies. The recent French achievement of enlisting the services of M. Bach brought a new degree of harmony to his own people, so much so that he could now reallocate the French nations resources. But he wanted to demonstrate to the world that the French were more than merely "inadequate." He would have liked to reduce the English to state of submission -- but unfortunately, his military still seemed to be licking its wounds from Agincourt. What he needed, then, was a new monument that would prove that the French were more "diplomatic" than the English and their Eiffel Tower.

So Henri consulted with his allies, the Egyptians, and they were kind enough to provide him with the technology of the Steam Engine. Now confident that he could count on other civilizations, whether by gift or by intrigue, to provide much of his technological needs, he completed the marketplace in St. Emilion and decreed that production should be switched in other cities to promote his plans.

But the English were not done with their designs upon the French peoples. In 1460 the English made a surprise landing and captured the undefended city of Fayette just northwest of the capital, plundering 135 gold and stealing Monotheism. Elsewhere, an English Ironclad sank a French Galleon to the south of Warwick.

Undeterred, in 1480, Henri IV again consulted his allies, the Egyptians kindly provided him with the new technology of gunpowder. With this knowledge, he elected to temporarily discontinue financing scientific research. Also, in that year, the city of Bayonne was established. And Henri learned from abroad that the Egyptians had developed the railroad, and that the Chinese had developed Metallurgy and commenced construction on Newton's College.

In the year 1500, Henri began the process of redressing grievances against his namesake in England. When he refused an audience from the English ambassador, the bellicose Henry VIII declared: "We have decided to rid the world of your worthless civilization." Responding in kind, Henri IV authorized a French diplomat to penetrate the defenses at Fayette in order to steal the technology of Industrialization, which he then promptly exchanged with the Egyptians for the technology of Explosives. Not yet satisfied, he authorized another diplomat to steal the technology of the Corporation from the English city of Hastings. Turning then to the nation's leading minds and providing them with all the funding he could offer, he directed them to develop a new technology, one worthy of the French. He also started to invest heavily in the manufacture of the new fangled and much more mobile invention of modern freight. Regrettably, his ally seemed to have deserted him, as the Egyptians announce that they have reached a peace agreement with the English.

By the year 1510, the French intellectuals had decided to commence research on a new philosophy. Henri greeted this idea with considerable scepticism; as a King who supported a limited constitutional democracy, he questioned the value of allowing the workers and peasants to have a say in national affairs. But the news that one of the French navy's first Ironclads had sunk an English Frigate off the coast of Bayonne alleviated his mood, and he continued to invest heavily in freight after his philosophers promised him that they were nearly finished developing their theories.

Sure enough, in the year 1520 French philosophers, led by J.J. Rousseau, proclaimed to the world: "All men are free but everywhere live in chains." A dissenting opinion was put forth by Jean Bodin, who cautioned the King from adopting this new philosophy as a form a governance. The year also brought welcome news in that the English defenders of Fayette fell to the onslaught of a French Ironclad, and French Crusaders had recovered enough elan to capture that city, seizing both 115 gold and the knowledge of the Railroad.

All this led up to the glorious year of 1530, when Henri IV was able to proclaim to the world that the city of Puegeot had completed the construction of the United Nations. Henri immediately seized the diplomatic initiative from the English and established relations with the rest of the world; some were impressed with the French, others less so. Returning again to Egyptians, Henri convinced them to exchange maps. An embassy to the Chinese found them to be disdainful of French knowledge, refusing an offer to exchange anything for their knowledge of Metallurgy; nonetheless, they did elect to exchange their current state of exploration. The embassy to the Zulus resulted in a peace treaty, and offering them the Railroad, they too exchanged maps which resulted in the discovery of two more civilizations. An ambassador to the Romans met with a chilly response, discovering them to be "pushy" lot who lacked the graces to exchange geographic knowledge. A decidedly uncivilized people who would be altogether backwards were it not for a Great Library; one day, Henri predicted, their reliance on their library would prove to be their undoing. Finally, in something of a diplomatic coup, the ambassador to the Mongols -- now the most powerful civilization -- acquired Chivalry in exchange for Gunpowder; and after offering them Railroad, succeeded in forging a new alliance, complete with shared geographic knowledge.

By the end of his reign, Henri IV could look back on a singular accomplishment, and hope that his successors would soon be able to come to grips with the perfidious Albion that lay across la Manche.

Attached Files:

12. golem

golem Warlord

Great work Andu. Five turns and our empire is totaly different.

13. Andu Indorin

Not really that different ... just exploited the opening created when the English civ built Darwin's. Still need more cities and more engineers to cope with the distances presented by this map.

14. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Quietly, yet dramatically we are placed in a competitive situation -- five turns coming soon to a theatre near you. :)

15. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Sheesh! I'd better get my NoWonder turns completed and posted before my number comes up on this game, again.

16. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Steg, you're safe -- I'm about half done so far (no interim information to be distributed at this time, however.)

17. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Save tonight, (quiet) log tomorrow.

18. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Sometimes worthwhile things take second effort (sigh). :lol:

19. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Very little to adjust before moving (I think that one citizen moved was about it.) rush a musket in Norwich.

(Egypt discovers Metal (and Romans get as well via GL), changes to WS; Chi discovers RR; Eng changes to Rep. Ironclad slays a settler SE of Hastings.)

1540 (1) -- Talk to English, but get nothing but chatter. spend about 40% of the budget to add shields to production (mainly Engineers.)

(Eng discover Ex, nearly complete WS; Romans discover Conscription and now have peace with Zulus.)

1550 (2) -- 9 new engineers set out to work (now 14 on the job), but many of the cities supporting them are in food deficits -- so we set some of them to irrigation rather than RR. Settler founds Brest NW of Dijon. Pop a hut for cash.

(China nearly complete INC; York grants Women Suffrage -- Egypt changes to INC; Passing English Frigate slays a galleon hiding in Random Settled.)

1560 (3) -- We love begins in four cities. Espy Leeds & buy it for 316 (34 recovered. Oops -- only now in typing the notes do I recall our forbearance in this regard. Sorry -- it is a small town with a transport & musket -- one can move the transport back in, & disband both units to “raze” the city if desired.) England still in chatter mode. Pop two huts SE of Zulu lands -- one for barbs (later slaying the dip) and the other for cash. Put shields towards a couple of silk trucks to ship to England.

(Egypt discovers cons & completes INC -- China abandons; Eng sends a dip to Norwich & steals Feudalism. :lol: The English Frigate near Random settled dies attacking our Ironclad.)

1570 (4) -- Bayonne blows up ( part of the cost of founding new cities I figure); 2 new engineers and 2 trucks placed on the road. Found Bordeaux with last settler; toggle to 5.3.2

1580 (5) -- Pointiers blows up -- put shields towards a dip in Leeds (but see previous note above) and a harbor in Norwich.

Very quiet all the way around -- should have tried to swap for conscription, but I think I blinked when the thought occurred. On the other hand, maybe it is just a s well since Tactics may be around the corner (we may want to make the trades before we get espionage, then steal techs thereafter with spies…)

20. Andu Indorin

A solid round of turns Old'n'Slow.

One point that I neglected to highlight in my round of turns was the appearance of the irrigated square east of the newly acquired Leeds; by elimination, we can safely say that this is the location of Reading. And this city should probably be attended to ...

In terms of a long-term, strategic project, we might consider a "Portuguese" strategy toward approaching the Zulu civilization, i.e., as soon as our own railnet is complete, devoting a few engineers to establishing a series of "outpost" cities to get us closer to that civilization. The first step would establishing a city in the swamp square northwest of Pi-Ramses (80,56) and another south of Elephantine (84,82); and completing a railway through the Egyptian civilization. From there establishing a series of "outposts" on island 19 (due south of 84,82); and along the west coast of large island 16 (where the isolated city of Ningpo is located) -- the edge of which is located just across the straight from the most recent Barbarian landing; and then a final outpost on the semi-peninsula nnw of the Zulu city of Issus (91,121). I'm guessing that this may be our most effective way of solving the problem of distance to the heartland of the Zulu civ.

Not really on topic, but I see that an "official" Civ4 Ideas Forum has been created. I wonder if I can manage to get my account suspended once again for pointing out the "weaknesses" of Civ3;)