1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Vive l'Empereur!": another D+3 Succession

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Andu Indorin, Feb 18, 2004.

1. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

Whose turn is it ? Nothing has happened for more than a week...

2. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Looks like:

3. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

From his last post, he appeared to recognize that he was up next ...

And, unfortunately, he has no listed e-mail in his profile with which to contact him; has he left any contact information in the "Slowboat" thread?

Otherwise, as it's been ten days, I'd say give him until tomorrow to post; and if he hasn't contacted us, we should let Viking play.

Also, e-mailed Kev ... he said he might have some late nights "available" real soon ;)

4. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Yes, I've been trying to get to it for 2 weeks, now, without success. Please pass me. Let's get someone up to bat who is going to hit the darn ball!
    (My apologies for taking so long to realize I'm just not getting to this.)

5. Andu Indorin

Sorry you couldn't find the time. But thanks touching base.

Over to you Viking.

6. TheViking

I will start playing soon and should finish next weekend or maybe a bit earlier.

7. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Hello all:

Sorry I haven't checked in in a while. My wife and I had a baby boy on the 15th (ah, my little deduction) and I've been a bit distracted.

We thought of the name Owen, but thought that not a good name for a boy born on tax day (for those of you not in the US, April 15th is the day when all tax returns are due).

Anyway, his name is Connor Ryan and he wieghed in at 7 lbs and 14 oz. Both he and his mom are home, healthy and happy.

So, I'm tuning in a bit more as I seem to get the night shift of late. I'm more nocturnal anyway. I've probably been too far out of the loop with this particular game, but I'll be able to join the next one if you do another.

Cheers.

Kev

8. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Congratulations!!!!! [party]

9. TimTheEnchanter

:beer: Congrats!!

10. golem

golem Warlord

Congratulation, KEV ! ;) ;) ;)

BTW how much is it in metric units?

11. Andu Indorin

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

12. Andu Indorin

Well, exactly three turns have passed since the last time you checked in, and this still only round 3, so things have changed that much, and I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind you jumping back in. Things are just beginning to get interesting in this game ...

13. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Ditto the above, and

ditto the above :bday:

14. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Well, I wouldn't mind as long as everyone else is OK with it. Let me know when to step on in.

And thank you all for your well-wishes!!!

15. TheViking

First of all, congratulations !!

Sometimes great news are celebrated with fireworks but this is not possible in this game yet because we still do not have nukes ;).

As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to play now, it is my turn but I'm somewhat busy so I hadn't started playing and I hadn't even started planning what to do.

16. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Very well, I can certainly play tonight or tomorrow. What are our priorities at this point?

17. TimTheEnchanter

It's been so long, I don't really remember, but Trade and Expand seemed to be the highest priorities, but now that I write it, that could be any game! :lol: We need to figure out how to get access to the southern nations - Andu had a plan for that a few days ago.

Oh, I think we had an ongoing skirmish with the English too.

18. Andu Indorin

Well then, have at! ... just be wary of the English ...

19. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

It was said that French aristocrats were called “blue bloods” because they seldom allowed the sun to touch their skin. They would become so pale that the blood coursing through their veins actually gave their skin a bluish tint.

Such was not the case of Kevpolean. An urchin of the streets who took to wine at a very early age, he was called “blue tongue” for wine was never long away from his mouth. With the revolution that brought democracy to France, Kevpolean was able to parlay his appeal to the common folk full of drink and become the Premier of his homeland. There were those who thought this man a simpleton whose wits had been frittered away by the aged grapes. They tried to put strings upon this charismatic, if not inebriated, figure in an effort to put forth their own plans through the shell of the one elected. It would not be so, and Kevpolean, with the help of the wine merchant’s guild, was able to set forth a worthy agenda to help expand the influence of Mother France.

It began in 1580, and the young Kevpolean would be forced to wear several hats. Whilst searching every bottle’s bottom for most of his life, he failed to see what had been going on in the world around him. Indeed, he had no sense of history about his own country and did not even know what other civilizations existed beside his own. It was as if he joined a strange game that was already in progress.

He first noted that his country had allies in the world, and a strange pair they were. The thoughtful Egyptians with their institutions of higher learning lived to the south of the mainland whilst the aggressive Mongol horde resided south and east. Kevpolean noted that the Egyptians flaunted their knowledge at the UN meetings at Peugeot. He sent an emissary as first order of business, loosened their tongues on wine, and made some trades of knowledge. The French received knowledge of Conscription and Metallurgy whilst the Egyptians left with Corporation and Communism. Kevpolean then looked so pitiful after the celebration for this alliance that the Egyptians gave him 100 gold to go clean up.

Kevpolean next noted that he also had an enemy in the world in the English. The FRENCH city of Norwich was in the midst of being besieged, and Kevpolean, this time in a general’s role, ordered the building of city walls to be completed there forthwith. The harbor could be built later to help the citizens who were even then digging into the food surplus. Leeds was a newer city nearby, and it was slated for barracks. Engineers would have to be imported here to help develop the area and to found new cities to feed these front-line stalwarts.

Finally, Kevpolean worked tirelessly (well, he was quite tired and hung over most of the time, but that would not quite sound as romantic) to rearrange workers to get the most efficient results. He sped the training of 7 engineers as he wanted more cities to be built, the rail line continued, and some combat engineers at the ready.

In the rest of the world, the Chinese traded corporation and TOG to the English whilst the English reciprocated only with metallurgy.

The attack came to Norwich and the musket brigade held firm.

Egypt and Rome declared peace.

1590 (1):

Norwich finished the city walls for Kevpolean. It would rush a harbor at first chance and then begin to field a worthy military if at all possible. Further east, the people at Leeds remarked that they could see irrigated land that was not of their doing, and an ironclad was soon dispatched to investigate. Right after afternoon wine.

With many more engineers at the ready, the Kevpolean railnet began in earnest. Some engineers would eventually be sent to other continents or asked to found cities, but for now movement was key – especially given the extreme lack of defenses in the homeland cities.

Elsewhere, the Egyptians discover electricity and the Zulus discover Magnetism.

1600 (2):

The lone city of Reading was spotted – the city where the irrigation was formed. Isolated from the main cities of England, this will be a major target for the drunken warlord. Plans are made to gather forces and a transport as the ironclad awaited. Kevpolean had the ironclad sailors call the people of Reading Kniggets just for fun. He hoped that in later campaigns, he might launch cows at the English.

The railnet gained a few extra engineers to help.

Elsewhere, the Mongols discover engineering. Looks like these allies of ours are not going to be all that helpful.

1610 (3):

The railnet continued. One engineer is able to found the city of Brie. It is destined to become quite mediocre, but will serve as a filler of sorts. A city site to the north offers a much greater potential.

The silly English pigdogs have placed a loaded frigate near our ironclads that are now taunting London. Original plans were to bombard the city, but Kevpolean wisely thinks that the strategy would backfire. Thusly the ironclads here provide cover for some freight deliveries.

1620 (4): With the freight delivered, Espionage is now ours. Kevpolean is quite interested in seeing some spies in the field and plans to hit on them after the proper amount of liquid courage. The men of science in France present a menu to their leader as to the next bit of knowledge to uncover. Atomic Theory, Electricity, Genetic Engineering, Leadership, or Refining. With the Egyptians studying Electricity and the Chinese going for Refining, Kevpolean lands on Leadership and hopes of putting together a more formidable army in the English lands.

A short while later, over some aged Port Wine, the French trade the arcane knowledge of Chivalry and receive the important technology of electricity in return. Again, the Egyptians take pity on poor Kevpolean and give him 100 gold to clean up.

The English frigate and one passenger is sunk where the people of London could witness the deed. Still, the reputation of France is spotless.

Elsewhere, the Chinese discover Refining then trade it to Rome for conscription.

The English discover Communism. There is an English diplomat now on the outskirts of Leeds.

Our allies the Mongols have declared war on the Zulus. Couldn’t happen to two better civs.

1630 (5):

The last year of Kevpolean’s reign, he does not feel as if he has accomplished much. He decides to make this year quite interesting and then retire to his fields.

With all in place, an ironclad attack commences upon Reading. The only defender was a musket brigade, and our ironclad wins the day. A transport with armed forces races to the scene, though it pauses to allow an engineer to investigate a strange hut. Why, it was not a hut at all, but a size 4 city named Chablis with a temple and a marketplace already build. How nice.

The transport continues onward, and the crusaders in tow enter the city without resistance and claim it for France – which is just fine with the citizens there apparently. The French plunder all of 53 gold and have an intact marketplace there.

A last meeting with Egypt as Cleo shakes her head, gives Kevpolean 100 gold and tells him to clean up or get out. Kevpolean’s work is done, so he happily does the latter.

Notes:

Well, when I took over I was kind of at a loss since I missed most of the game and did not have desire to go back and read everything. I’m very lazy. Still, it all seemed pretty much set up.

I was surprised as to how well the AI is doing in this game compared to our last one. It should be a very interesting challenge. How the heck did the ZULUS get Leo’s Workshop? Well, we’re pretty well set with the happy wonders at least! Nicely done there.

Anyway, my main purpose here was to expand the nation. We have too few cities in my mind – though I tend to be on the far end of expansionism. With only 5 turns and not much in railroad, though, I couldn’t do too much. Hopefully the next few players will be able to put some excellent new cities on the map.

With that in mind, here are a few to look for:

1. On a small island NW of Bayonne there is an engineer clearing a forest on a decent city spot.
    2. Go 3 spaces up from Brie and 1 to the left and that will be a nice city spot.
    3. NE of Dijon there is an engineer on a non-roaded plain. That would be a good spot for a city. Further, there is a ship with a rifleman and diplomat on it near London that could land at that city and give it some defense right away.
    4. There are two engineers in the transport outside of Reading. It might not be a bad idea to put a few more cities on that Reading Peninsula and maybe rush some troops in the area to use against the English.

By using some engineers to get these cities up, it also opens some food at their home cities and we can then rush some extra engineers from there.

Speaking of the English, there was not much to do there. Bombarding London, I figured, probably wouldn’t do too much, so it may be best to wait on that. I killed the dip near Leeds before taking Reading, so our next contact may have the English asking for a cease fire (since we took reading and have not spoken to the English yet).

There is an engineer in Norwich that can move out and make a road that would allow access to the fortress to the SW. A rifle should be ready there, and the next player could load up the fortress if they see fit.

There are some freights in Cheese Valley that can be sent east toward the English cities. I’ve also set up a transport in Poitiers and have sent some freight in that direction as well. It may be nicer (and possibly more profitable) to start moving some trade south to our allies in Egypt and maybe even the Mongols. The railnet is growing well, and it may even be possible to send these freights to different ports quickly if you’d like.

As far as tech, I did turn up the science and turn down the taxes. We were making some good money already (by taxes and freight) and I wanted to get some technology rolling. There is a goodly sum in the treasury now, and the next player may wish to spend some even before they hit the enter key. May not be a bad idea to finish some factories in cities that could benefit from them. We don’t seem to have a huge production situation going.

That’s about it. Plenty of work to do! And thanks for letting me jump into this game.

20. jadelicia

jadelicia Queen

Hey, y'all! I know you set this up a while back, but I'm wondering if I can join somewhere on the list....this pass along game sounds like fun, though I can't guarentee I'll be very good at it :)