Volcano out of nowhere

stachnie

Theorist
In my two recent games I had an irritating event: a volcano appeared out of nowhere and kept destroying improvements on surrounding tiles. It is irritating especially if one of this tiles has my only instance of some important resource. I tried to remove the volcano using WB but it appears next turn or a few turns later.

Does anybody know how to disable this event?

S.

In my two recent games I had an irritating event: a volcano appeared out of nowhere and kept destroying improvements on surrounding tiles. It is irritating especially if one of this tiles has my only instance of some important resource. I tried to remove the volcano using WB but it appears next turn or a few turns later.

Does anybody know how to disable this event?

S.

Set the probability to zero in the event. See the Modiki for which tag needs changing.

How lucky I'm not a virgin. :D

@stachnie, life isn't bed of of roses. I don't think, people of Pompeii had a possibility to disable the eruption of Vesuvius.

My issue is not that it happens, but rather that you often get a continual spawn of the event. In my current game I've lost tract of how many times it has happened... Well over 2 dozen and in a state of eruption for nearly 400 turns out of 1,500 played.

@stachnie, life isn't bed of of roses. I don't think, people of Pompeii had a possibility to disable the eruption of Vesuvius.

Well, IIRC they had settled near an existing volcano, so they took the risk. And it erupted once. I was angry, because it appeared on a normal plot and it followed pattern: eruption - repair improvements - eruption - repair improvements ...

S.

"Since the eruption of 79 AD, Vesuvius has erupted around three dozen times."
And he is far away from the leadership. -- Am not sure, but it may be Etna with her 200+ counted eruptions. -- And yes, a volcano can grow out of nowhere. Look Parícutin. :)

36 erruptions does not equal 25% of the existence of humanity.

Yes. Throw a virgin into the volcano. :p
:lmao:

Seriously funny! I'm sure we've all felt frustrated by this but yeah, it's just one of those bad deals a player can experience. Like some real civs in Earth's history have. Build more workers to be able to compensate the round it happens.

That's nice for the tiles around the volcano. My problem is that the volcano was originally a hill and had a resource on it. Thus while it appears as a volcano (erupting, or smoldering) it can't be mined. Additionally whenever it reverts to a hill it erupts all over again before the workers can rebuild the mine (i.e. it reverts back to a volcano almost immediately), presuming the resource is still there (which isn't always the case).

I remember cases in prior versions of the volcano appearing on the cities tile itself. Was that resolved?

"Since the eruption of 79 AD, Vesuvius has erupted around three dozen times."
And he is far away from the leadership.

O.K., a point for you. But I guess most of these eruptions were minor ones.

It seems if the game decides to put a volcano at some plot, it will do. I tried to do some corrections with WB - e.g. remove volcano, put a resource, change terrain etc. - but it worked for a while only. Volcano kept appearing even if I turned the tile to water. And I would prefer not to modify game files.

Fortunately, some time after I have given up it stopped its activity for a long time. So perhaps the best solution will be to live with this and to pray that a volcano will not appear next to a tile with some vital resource (and maybe to keep some virgins in reserve)....

S.

Top Bottom