Volcano pillaging questions

Mango201

Chieftain
A few questions on pillaging:

Does volcanic pillaging work like regular pillaging for districts?

Context: I have a bunch of holy sites built around Kilimanjaro (a natural wonder and volcano) and thanks to work ethic + desert folklore + scripture they are providing most of the production in my civ. Does a volcano pillage like normal pillaging for districts? I.e. does it pillage one building at a time and only when all buildings have been pillaged does it then pillage the district? Is it the same for all eruption types? If so, I think I'll build some holy site building as an insurance policy - that way if the volcano blows it will destroy the buildings, but the districts will continue to provide their sweet sweet production. If on the other hand the volcano can pillage buildings and the district at the same time then there's no point - I get enough faith as is.

I could swear I've seen volcanos destroying undeveloped bonus resources (specifically ore), can anyone confirm if this is the case? If so, improving bonus resources around volcanoes seems pretty important, that way the improvement gets pillaged but the resource survives.

Can naval units pillage harbors? I know naval raiders can pillage harbors but can a quadrireme pillage a harbor?

Can scouts pillage?

Thanks in advance.

Volcanoes can do several things. They can simply pillage a tile; they can convert the tile to volcanic soil, which is a feature and as such overwrites any forest/jungle/marsh; and they can completely delete bonus resources or improvements. AFAIK this is random and depends on how strong the eruption is. “Mega colossal” eruptions will generally completely clear out the area.

You can even lose the resource but not the improvement, ending up with a pasture on volcanic soil but now cows, for example.

And yes, any military unit including scouts can pillage any tile they can stand on. Naval units can all pillage harbors. However, Naval Raider class units can also pillage land tiles on the shore and clear barb camps that way.

I don't think improving the resources prevents it from being destroyed. In my last game, I had a cattle farm next to a volcano, and the volcanic eruption caused the farm to be pillaged and the cows to disappear from the tile - however I could still repair the farm, leaving an empty pasture on the tile. You can see the empty pasture right behind Nidaros in this screenshot:
upload_2021-3-24_10-7-50.png

> does it pillage one building at a time?

No you can easily got all building together with district pillaged. But I've never seen Harbor or Water Park pillaged by volcano.

Yes bonus resources can be removed. E.g. if you make a plantation on a banana a volcano may pillage it and leave a plantation of nothing for you. (If the plantation is removed, then you cannot build a plantation there anymore.)

All military units can pillage tiles they are on.

Top Bottom