Volunteers needed for Achtung Europe! (A WW2 Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually welcome the pre-jealous comments, as I always enjoy having the last laugh.

We'll seen once your mod is all done. You should listen to these guys. They aren't here to put you down, just to give advice. Be a little nicer to get people to join your mod.

Of course. I am known all around the world. It was only a matter of time until you too come to learn who I am.

You do realize that the quote I posted only will make serious modders avoid you even more than before, right?

Like others said - I do want you to succeed, but I don't want to waste time on a doomed project.

If i were you, and thank god I'm not, I would start with an Operation Barbarossa map/scenario (requires very few new models, around 6 +any new units. Russian/German Infantry, Russian/German fighters/bombers) then try and move west, gradually adding a Germany vs France/Great Britain (Requiring only about 5 more new models: British Tank and Fighter, French Tank, Fighter, Bomber) then a North Africa/Mediterranean adding the United States (Requiring US unit models, and Italian unit Models). Then maybe a Winter War scenario, and THEN Combined them all into a massive scenario/mod. Represent Finland, Poland, Norway, Sweden, and Baltic States as City-States (call them Nations and Civs: Powers)

I'd estimate that would take six modders eighteen months to complete.

Oh my, so you are going to learn the game in one day and then start modding?

Umm, yeah. I think you should listen to that wizard guy.

...if the way he interacts with folks who are offering constructive comments and advice, is the way he interacts with the 15 member staff/team he wants to build...

I think this mod has about a 37 minute shelf-life before it becomes an abandoned project.

On a side note: You might want to reconsider the name. While Achtung is perfectly correct german, Europe is english. Europa, with an a at the end, would be the german way of writing.

Propably just nick-picking, but as a german-speaking person this combination of language strikes me as odd.

If i were you, and thank god I'm not, I would start with an Operation Barbarossa map/scenario.

Ahhh, I love Operation Barbarossa as I once created a juggernaut of a scenario on Talon's Soft East Front back in the day, as well as the scenario on Lux Delux.

Even as big a scale Operation Barbarossa was, it's too small for what I have in mind.

I start off with a just a scenario version and will make that available to the public, then will build upon it with modded content. Modding is not rocket science, it merely requires the right kind of software and resources.

On a side note: You might want to reconsider the name. While Achtung is perfectly correct german, Europe is english. Europa, with an a at the end, would be the german way of writing.

Propably just nick-picking, but as a german-speaking person this combination of language strikes me as odd.

Yes, it's a play on words isn't it. It's perfect. Half German-Half English, if only I could put a Russian word into the title it would be more perfect.

Modding is not rocket science, it merely requires the right kind of software and resources.
Mind you, you have to realise that one of these resources is time. Modding eats time like nobody's business, that's why people are sceptical if you say that the planned release is 1 month past Civ5's release.

So planning a scenario first as a base to work on is good, mods and the teams rarely spring Athena-like fully formed into existence. Start small, work your way up. Furthermore, in case you are still planning to recruit a team, this article might be relevant. And again, I can only stress how important it is that you walk into it with realising that such a mod will be mostly *your* work and that you're going to spend more time than any other team member on it, if you want to see it done.

Cheers, LT.

I've played maybe 10,000 hours of all the civilizations combined, in addition to 10,000 other strategy games in my life time.

You realize that V is very different from Civ, II, III, and IV.

You know not who I am, but you will, and your 10,000 posts is nothing compared to my 50,000+ posts over the past couple of years in various other games. I'll have 10,000 posts in this forum within a year, but thanks for the warm and expected welcoming. There's always a few like you.
Afforess is a good coder, insulting him does not help your cause, now if you want a WWII mod talk with Kiwitt, he has an exceptionally detailed WWII Europe mod and playing it would be a good place to start

Have a nice day

Afforess is a good coder, insulting him does not help your cause, now if you want a WWII mod talk with Kiwitt, he has an exceptionally detailed WWII Europe mod and playing it would be a good place to start

Have a nice day

I've already seen screenshots and whatnot of most of the mods here. Most of them are laughable, sorry, but true. My war gaming experience is probably more than most here combined. There are few if none who walk the earth with more war gaming experience than myself.

I've already seen screenshots and whatnot of most of the mods here. Most of them are laughable, sorry, but true. My war gaming experience is probably more than most here combined. There are few if none who walk the earth with more war gaming experience than myself.
Kiwitt has (IIRC) spent 40 years war gaming, I'm pretty sure he knows them
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337742

I actually welcome the pre-jealous comments, as I always enjoy having the last laugh.

This Mod was doomed before it even started......

Modding is not rocket science, it merely requires the right kind of software and resources.

No, software and resources are in fact not the only things required. I would know since I have already been a part of modding communities (albeit, not for Civ.....yet) for years and to say that software and resources are the only thing needed is extremely naive.

Besides the software and resources there are a number of things that are required if a large Mod like this is suppose to get anywhere at all, things such as:

-A modding team. And since you have zero experience with the game nobody has any real motivation to join you.

-Dedication. The desire to continue making the mod, and in my experience 90% of all suggestions for a "Awesome Grand Mod!" made by people who have never made a Mod before end up being abandoned quickly assuming they gather any attention at all.

-Actual knowledge of the game engine. If you don't know what makes the game tick, then how do you intend on making it tick the way you want it to?

-Actual knowledge of how to use your programs. Just owning a 3-D modeling program isn't enough, you also have to learn and know how to use it. You can't just make a thread and ask others to do all of your work for you.

-Talent. It doesn't matter if you have the best modding tools in the world if you are no good at using them.

These are just few examples and believe me there are many many more.

I suggest you do yourself a favor and drop this mod and just play the game for a while. Then perhaps at some point in the future you can return and try to make some small Mod and then perhaps later make something larger.

Just my advice, take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom