Von Münchhausen Civ 5 SG

Yeah, I failed to read 'ho' as 'who', but I'm with it now, no problem.

It's not about which person in or which person out or whatever. You're both in as far as I'm concerned, I already said that. Be a little patient, please. In SG's you're often dependent on other people making a move first anyway, so a little waiting every now and then is part of it. We all do it.
And sometimes we are squeezing a set in while actually busy with something in your private life, but for the sake of the team you just make your contribution. You have to adapt a bit to the flow of the game.

I like to see ShahJahanII first make a contribution and fit into the team, then see how we fit in Artingel. The better ShahJahan gets on, the easier it is to add Artingel as well.
It's a luxury problem, as far as I'm concerned, sometimes SG's have players dropping out and the team getting thin. Here we have enough interest now, and people have to wait a bit longer before playing. That's just how it's going.

Is there anything you would like to discuss before I start?

ShahJahan we normally give a little outline of what we plan to do before the turn. Normally we get the replies within a few hours depending on time of day then you can go for it. I actually like this because we have quite a few choices to make now and it makes you feel more confident if you discussed it before.

I think we are going for the most efficient win possible at this stage. We still have about 20 turns on RAs with China and Rome. In my opinion we should set up for an invasion just as these RAs finish, then just constantly reinforce our army from there. There were some invasion discussion from particularly Optional and Grandad a few posts back so you can go on that and decide what you want to plan out.

Just got a little net time before I go to the pub! I'm in Bristol till tomorrow morning.

I just want to second Optional and Brichals posts. It's a good idea at this stage to make sure any new players (and the rest of us;) to the roster follow what we've been playing towards and how we intend to get their. The next 3/4 sets are basically us being in the end game.

Anyway enjoy the discussion and good gaming!

I've climbed Mount Snowdon, been cycling through the Black Mountain, but Bristol I've never been.

About the game... we're not hearing from SjahJahanII. I don't mind waiting a little, there's no rush to playing this game, but it's nice if we at least know what we're waiting for.
If there's no post at all from a player who's up then I rather ask the next player on the roster about preparing a set. So I would like to ask Emstinson if he would be willing to do that while we're waiting for ShahJahanII to check in here again.

Is that a good suggestion?

i was going to see what you all thought, I'll prepare to play a set tonight and probably play it early tomorrow. I'll check the save out when I get home from works in 8 or 9 hours. See what fun we have to discuss! If Shah checks in then that works as well, no problems here either way!

I've climbed Mount Snowdon, been cycling through the Black Mountain, but Bristol I've never been.

About the game... we're not hearing from SjahJahanII. I don't mind waiting a little, there's no rush to playing this game, but it's nice if we at least know what we're waiting for.
If there's no post at all from a player who's up then I rather ask the next player on the roster about preparing a set. So I would like to ask Emstinson if he would be willing to do that while we're waiting for ShahJahanII to check in here again.

Is that a good suggestion?

i was going to see what you all thought, I'll prepare to play a set tonight and probably play it early tomorrow. I'll check the save out when I get home from works in 8 or 9 hours. See what fun we have to discuss! If Shah checks in then that works as well, no problems here either way!

Here I am!
I was reading all your posts, you just weren't discussing gameplay...
Just a miscommunication error, sorry.

Yeah, ShahJahanII, we thought it was clear that the ball was in your court, and that you would take a look at the save and post something about it.
Some of us already gave some ideas, but if you're playing, then your ideas weigh heavier.

It's not like you would need to post every little thing you're going to do in your set, but a succession game is something different from passing a game on between players. It's a game you play as a team, I hope you understand the difference. So there's normally some talk before or after a set.
Have you had a look at the save? Can you see where the game is going? Perhaps you can say something about the builds in our towns, about how strong or perhaps weak you find our army, how you assess our opponents, etc.
Doing that should help you decide what to do in your set. Together with what the rest of the team has already posted.

Well, just looked at the save, and you guys have done better than I ever could.
We have quit a good navy, and some iron left.
I say we bring our triremes back to Egypt, then upgrade them to Frigates.
This will give us an excellent invasion force to take Rome.
Another option would be to go for China, since they have 2 cities that are fairly weak.
If we can keep up a large stream of gold per turn, we can annex one of the Chinese cities, build a courthouse, and buy units straight out of that city.
We can then also attack the city of Rome itself, so the Romans will have to fight on 2 fronts instead of just 1.
I apologize for the wait, but I will get started once these plans are approved.

That's fine with me Shah, sorry I thought we had discussed it all before your last post. I've been going through some fun dental work the last few days. So yeah, I was wondering do we have the techs to upgrade our boats? I haven't seen the save for this past turn set so I am behind a bit. I am all for a two front war on Rome and trying to bribe ghandi into war with Rome as well to keep him fighting all over. If we conquer Rome I imagine the game is pretty much sealed at that point so that is where the discussion is at. do we want to go for the throat or just bite off a foot and let the rest of the world bleed for a while....

Sounds good, yeah, the actual war on the other continent is for a little bit later, if Brichals was right in that we still have some 20 turns in research agreements with both China and Rome, so that would rule out any declaration of war against one of them in your set (Brichals posted that some 9 posts ago, I hope you've read it).
We don't play very long sets, it's 10 turns at most per player. Maybe 5 is okay as well for you, since you're still new to it and it's a bit later in the game, then things start to get a little more complex with more units and longer turns.
There is consensus in the group about taking Aarhus first, that's where all our units are. But we could start some troop movement at least towards the other continent and form some rough idea what we will target first.

Taking back our triremes for upgrading is okay, but I didn't think we had that tech yet (don't know from the top of my hat which tech that is either). Maybe you want to check our tech situation and see what's best to do on that front.

We are I think not even at harbour tech yet so we need I think astronomy and navigation for frigates. I really have a sieve in my head, I'm not sure if those techs are right, but I think we still need 2 more (cheap) techs for frigates. Frigates would be good if we can hit Romes cities. He doesn't have any directly on the coast IIRC, that also means, he has no navy to fight back. So nice siege for us.

ShahJahan you don't need to overthink too much now just finish Aarhus and start thinking to add a bit more military for our campaign overseas. We cant attack for 20 turns anyway. I would vote to go for Rome first, we really are quite ahead and shouldn't face much resistance. If we can hit Romes cities then you can go for the naval techs as far as I'm concerned, that seems like a good and sneaky idea.

We should maybe think about annexing a city?? Maybe not, maybe not in your turnset anyway ShahJahan.

That's fine with me Shah, sorry I thought we had discussed it all before your last post. I've been going through some fun dental work the last few days. So yeah, I was wondering do we have the techs to upgrade our boats? I haven't seen the save for this past turn set so I am behind a bit. I am all for a two front war on Rome and trying to bribe ghandi into war with Rome as well to keep him fighting all over. If we conquer Rome I imagine the game is pretty much sealed at that point so that is where the discussion is at. do we want to go for the throat or just bite off a foot and let the rest of the world bleed for a while....

Sounds good, yeah, the actual war on the other continent is for a little bit later, if Brichals was right in that we still have some 20 turns in research agreements with both China and Rome, so that would rule out any declaration of war against one of them in your set (Brichals posted that some 9 posts ago, I hope you've read it).
We don't play very long sets, it's 10 turns at most per player. Maybe 5 is okay as well for you, since you're still new to it and it's a bit later in the game, then things start to get a little more complex with more units and longer turns.
There is consensus in the group about taking Aarhus first, that's where all our units are. But we could start some troop movement at least towards the other continent and form some rough idea what we will target first.

Taking back our triremes for upgrading is okay, but I didn't think we had that tech yet (don't know from the top of my hat which tech that is either). Maybe you want to check our tech situation and see what's best to do on that front.

Thanks for your inputs :)
I will play only 5 turns, these will probably be taking Aarhus.

Turn190:
I upgrade a cannon to SiegeI, it now has +25% against cities.
Spoiler :

A bit of a scuffle around Aarhus.
Spoiler :

Turn191:
Our planned road network
Spoiler :

I move our Triremes around
Spoiler :

We defeat Denmark, nice work gentlemen! I can't credit for this obviously. I would have loved to show Harald's defeat screen, but some weird bug caused him to disappear when I clicked on the snipping tool! So I took the pleasure of drawing him in for you guys.
Spoiler :

Turn192:
Gandhi denounces us!
Spoiler :

Turn193:
Wu wants open borders, but I haggle a bit to get us an even better deal.
Spoiler :

Turn194:
Spoiler :

So a fun 1st turnset for me:goodjob:
Good luck to whoever is next in line.

Attachments

• Von Munchaussen TS1.Civ5Save
    776.5 KB · Views: 202
Well played! I guess Harald is one of those people that doesn't like saying farewell. ;)

To mention a few small nitpicks, our great general could have been brought into this battle as well, he looks to have stayed around Copenhagen. The crossbow I'm not seeing anymore. In the first screenshot it has only 2 hitpoints left, but still its movement points as well. Why not retreat a unit in this situation and bring in a healthy unit? Otherwise, well done.

Next turnset is probably going to be more quiet, if we're honouring the RA deals with China and Rome. It's now turn 195, the RA deals have been struck turn 176 and 178, so that would be early in grandad's set when they come in, assuming no swaps of sets, of course.
Rome and China are still at war, China took back Shanghai. Gandhi stays aloof, I checked if he's willing to get involved, but the says there's no way to make that work.
I guess there's no reason we shouldn't buy influence with a city state, perhaps more than one, we've got 2556 gold on the bank, so Emstinson's got a nicely filled cheque book to start his set with.

rock and roll, yeah lots of money, this is more my style!!! nicely done Shah, I'll take a look at it really fast while I get my laundry going and see if I need to discuss anything. If not I'll get our army moving to the other continent as it seems control of the seas should be no trouble for us at all...

So currently it takes 95g and 2 horses to make Rome declare on Ghandi... haha that is hilarious, he'll give me 209g for our extra dye so I think that about covers that cost. So if our status with Rome does not change until the RA finishes... we should look into having him declare on ghandi, denounce Rome and then declare ourselves. I like the idea of buying the two CS's in between Rome and China, Rio is neutral food and Bucharest is friendly culture. Of course if they had a military one over there I'd suggest that one, but its another distraction on his southern borders for Rome to deal with if we take those two and hit Rome from the North. I'll think about playing 5, unless the next 5 look as boring and try to get grandad to something exciting!

So currently it takes 95g and 2 horses to make Rome declare on Ghandi... haha that is hilarious, he'll give me 209g for our extra dye so I think that about covers that cost. So if our status with Rome does not change until the RA finishes... we should look into having him declare on ghandi, denounce Rome and then declare ourselves. I like the idea of buying the two CS's in between Rome and China, Rio is neutral food and Bucharest is friendly culture. Of course if they had a military one over there I'd suggest that one, but its another distraction on his southern borders for Rome to deal with if we take those two and hit Rome from the North. I'll think about playing 5, unless the next 5 look as boring and try to get grandad to something exciting!

If Rome takes out Gandhi, we won't have another capital yo worry about:lol:

i went ahead and started my set, since there really isn't anything game changing that I can do other then our build patterns until we declare war. I'm going to play up until 195, as the RA's are at 196 and 198 I believe to expire so that way Grandad can finalize our war preperations. Rome did denounce us along with Ghandi, but I have been able to trade with China still at friendly. So I'll check at the end of my set what she wants to declare on Rome....

EDIT add 10 to those turn numbers... lol need to wake up....

Okay, easy breezy turn set...

turn 195: Trade the dye to Rome for 209g, Buy Bucharest and Rio for 1000g each. Trade Wu for one of her extra Incense. Upgrade some units with the extra cash.

Spoiler :
Wu trade

With the cotton and incense from this turn, all of our cities should go into happy mode as I believe those were the last 2 resources to pick up.

turn 196: Helio Tri > Lighthouse... remember this being mentioned because it has the Colossus, good call on that!

Rome denounces us as well... oh well. Tell Wu I'm sorry, we really do want to keep atleast one trade partner in this game....

Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Turn 197: Memphis hits 13 pop, I choose Aqueduct after Bank as we may as well get big whilst we conquer... Thebes Rifle > Aqueduct.

Turn 198: nothing here, first unit starts the setup on the other continent...

turn 199: Memphis Aqueduct > Forbidden Palace... 2 CS's want it built and its 9 turns so meh whatever, I'm using my turnsets to build stuff so you guys can build military on yours!!!

turn 200: Helio Rifle> Armory (was this turn or next, forgot to write it down.)

turn 201: Thebes Aqeuduct > Settler.... No this isn't a typo! I decided to build one and then suggest we build a coastal city on the other continent (i have a picture where at the end) so that we have a refueling station in case of emergency with our war over there. I figure it doesnt matter about culture or happiness at this point with our war. A sure fire base of operations makes more sense to me, and we'll have plenty of cash to buy stuff in there when it gets built.

turn 202: nothing of note

turn 203: Decide to extort some cash from our pals India and Rome with our extra resources.

Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

turn 204: Thebes Settler> Armory... troops are in position and I have this sexy map designating what my first moves would be with our army and where to build our city.

Top Bottom