1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Von Münchhausen Civ 5 SG

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Succession Games' started by Optional, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

I can open the save in the normal area, don't have to go to the mods section so seems good to me. don't know how anything affects the save from computer to computer differently so I'll leave that to the computer techs! I like everything you are saying, and yeah the odds are Harald will at the least start the warrior churning, I am not a fan that he is 2-3 techs ahead so he may have archers as well, but at least we will use them better.... yeah probably an archer after the worker in thebes and granary in Memphis sounds good to me. Techs I'm not sure, burial tomb is the temple right? but civil service is always a plus... ohhh decisions. And of course Iron working to see if we will be dealing with berzerkers later or not. I'm going to get some food in me and maybe some coffee and try to help out on those fronts...

2. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Oh well no mods then!

Civwillard is good mod for keeping an eye on trades etc and you can customise what its telling you to a reasonable extent. I don't know any mods that will tell you that a trade has become available. Most of the ones I know tell you when things are ending more clearly so you can.

The benefit of info addict IMO is that it allows toy to compare yourself to the AIs more easily and also the relationship webs that give you some idea about how the AI think about each other.

In Memphis I could start some units since we won't be back in happy again for 12 turns or so and this makes the extra food less important right now.

EDIT

Burial Tomb is from Philosophy. Not a bad tech choice for the next/one after tech as it opens up RAs. Whilst early RAs are no longer as powerful as they were they can still really help out with key techs.

3. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

I have info addict downloaded, but I didnt open it in the mod area so I don't know how it works, I'll try that next. We can probably take out that south barb camp with the two warriors as you bring them back, remember there is a second barb on the east tile between the lakes. that would make the gold tile easier to work. But I guess it depends on where the second brute goes...

4. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

But actually now that I think about it, if Harald is churning warriors we probably will want our guys at full health. We can pretty much guarantee that is what he is doing, I say take the warriors to memphis, sell open borders to Cathy and try to buy an archer as a deterrent perhaps?

5. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I won't buy an archer unless the DoW comes so saving that gold just in case seems like a good idea.

Selling OB when it arrives is sound. Do we want to sell it to Harald? I don't think it affects the chances of a DoW like it did a couple of patches ago but I'm not sure.

6. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

i'd take any of his money that we can get our hands on, heck you could probably sell him the first gold if it comes before the dow, cause he'd probably dow right after haha, i bet within 10-15 turns, if he was guarded even sooner. So I suppose if we are building one archer we should be in good shape. I wonder how many turns it takes to build a warrior as an emperor AI... Of course we have to hope he and cathy don't have a good relationship and double attack, that would be funny....

7. Optional

Optional Deity

Just sell open borders do any interested party is always my idea, although in this case that wouldn't be Harald, as a civ needs to be friendly to be willing to part with any money for open borders.
    Whatever we do with our warriors, the safety of our workers comes first for me. We don't exactly have units to spare until we get a couple more out.

8. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

I also don't believe I've ever had a city that would get +5 hammers from a stable.... that city is astounding. yeah if he doesn't want to pay for OB then forget it. Catherine is going to be a fun wild card, should be interesting to see what style she is going for in this game. I know she likes to expand and she has quite a bit of space. anyways, no need to get too far ahead. yeah warriors back and an archer and granary. go for our plantations and policy our free worker. I can agree those would be sound decisions.

9. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

PFT

Nothing to do on the inherited turn so I hit enter and start my set!

IBT Cathy asks us if we want to be friends. Since Harald is a bit off with us I decide to say yes to minimise the chances of a second potential backstab.
    Spoiler :

As I move our warriors to deal with the southen barb camp one of them is attacked but manages to do more damage than the barb.

With our warriors in place we destroy the southern barb camp.
    Spoiler :

Thebes, Worker > Archer

The worker heads off towards the gold so we can get back into :c5happy:

Writing > Calendar
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

One of our warriors (Dave) earns a promo from killiing off a damaged barb. He is upgraded to Drill1 due to the rough terrain we will likely be defending before to long.

I forgot to sell our OB last turn but luckily Cathy reminds me and asks to swap OB. I sell it to her for 50:c5gold: and then sell it to Harald for 30:c5gold: I'm suprised by this as he's not friendly with us but I won't complain.

Talking of Harald.... He's moving troops towards Memphis. He must have realised our warriors are injured from that barb fight! I decide to rush buy an archer in Memphis for the extra defence.
    Spoiler :

Troops
    Spoiler :

Rush buy
    Spoiler :

Well we expected it and on turn 37 Harald DoWs us. Surprise!
    Spoiler :

I start to bombard his units.

Memphis, Monument > Warrior

I decided that more units was the way to go rather than the granary at this point.

IBT Harald enters the classical era.

We can adopt a social policy. I take citizenship as we discussed.
    Spoiler :

Harald is heading towards Thebes and is ignoring Memphis. Sadly he insta-healed one of his units that was about to die. Git.

Thebes, Archer > Warrior

We never really discussed what would come after the archer but more military is a good idea IMO. Maybe I should have started another archer instead of the warrior but I'm not sure it matters to much.

Vienna would like some help dealing with barbarians.

Not much going on here just more attacking Haralds units. We kill another warrior thats trying to sneak in round the northern edge of our lands. Nice try fool.

Calendar > ???? I set Bronze Working as a place holder but no beakers are invested.
    Spoiler :

Our warrrior (Bill) earns his first stripes and gets promoted to Drill1.

Info

Our empire. I think there may be at least one more warrior in the fog to the south.
    Spoiler :

The map as we can see it with resources highlighted.
    Spoiler :

Demo
    Spoiler :

The roster
    Optional - on deck
    Emstinson
    Grandad1982
    Brichals - up now
    ? - open to anyone to take up

The save

Attached Files:

10. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Just thought of something I should have mentioned

The gold is one turn from being mined. I had to pull the worker and defending warrior back as it was being pressed by 3 of Haralds warriors. When its ok to get back there then remember to finish this off!

11. Brichals

Brichals King

Back from my sisters wedding in Anglesey, good times. Good to see things going well chaps. We predicted that attack from Harald and I think we will hold it no problem. Any requests for whats next? I will start my turns in a few hours. I would like to send a unit up to the north barb camp, there is fish wheat and gold there and maybe something beyond the fog. This is fractal afterall. If I repel Harald I will look up there. So do we want a 3rd city? A wonder? I need to look at the save to get a clearer idea but any opinions you can give me beforehand will help.

12. Optional

Optional Deity

Well played!
    If it's just a couple of wariors Harald is sending, we shouldn't have any problems. I'm expecting he won't even attempt attacking our towns unless more reinforcements arrive.
    An early war can sometimes be as blessing, when the AI doesn't have the units yet to pose a real problem.
    We should try not to lose a unit here; keeping what we've got is more important than making kills.
    I don't have a strong opinion on which tech to take. The techs we need to improve our luxuries we already have. Bronze working gives spearmen, so that would be nice for extra defense. Philiosophy gives our Warior Tomb, that would be nice as well.

I wouldn't take peace immediately. I would want something substantial for that, although Harald probably won't have many goodies yet - I didn't look at the save yet to see; with so many screenshots it's hardly needed to look at the save.

Oh, I did try CivWillard, by the way. Thanks for mentioning that, I had never heard of it. It's a bit more the kind of thing I'm looking for, although it's still not great - nothing like CivAssist was for Civ III.

13. Optional

Optional Deity

There is certainly something beyond that mountain range, but we need Optics to have a look. But since we need a couple archers anyway to deal with Harald, we can just as well visit that barb camp afterwards when we've got one to spare. Since that barb camp is on the sea, there's probably a barb galley as well. I'm not sure if you can attack that barb camp with an archer while remaining at enough distance from a galley.
    Coastal barb camps on a hill are by far the most tricky ones to take, maybe one archer won't do it.

14. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I was checking out some of the other stuff in civwillard. It does show you is OB and RA etc are availible.

I combine civwillard with Attilamods (modifies the top bar) and info addict. Its still not as good as the BUG mod for civ4 but with time maybe an all in one UI project will sort this stuff out for us. Still early days.

Can I request a scouting mission down to the banana coast as I didn't get to go there myself?

A third city would be nice but we'd need to choose were to put it. I'd suggest 2N of the silks.

There's a potential city over by the gems/cow/fish but that got to wait till after Harald is properly dealt with.

On the tech front I lean towards heading for IW but our UB would be a pretty sweet as well. Helpfull I know.

Harald actually sent 5/6 warriors and a scout. I think I've killed 2. Or 3. I really should have written it down :lol:

Do we think this Fractal map is a continents style map?

15. Brichals

Brichals King

I just looked at the save. What if we went masonry, the wheel, and mathematics for hanging gardens in Memphis with marble hooked up. We could send a war chariot down south through the flat land and use it to generally take care of that area if barbs pop up. That is what I was just thinking.

16. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Its an interesting idea. I'd have to look at the save to see how long the techs would take to learn. It may be getting to late to consider the HG as a sure thing.

I'll do some counting but I'd like to hear from the others before we committed to anything like this.

17. Brichals

Brichals King

Yes let me know. Its 8,8, 15 turns for the techs now. I would make some pastures and hook up the marble to try to get growth for more hammers in Memphis. We might not make it.

Alternatively we could go for iron and mathematics later, by which time Memphis has grown and we could still try for HG if it's not gone (we could get fail gold). This will give us access to catapults and swords, we could try to take out Harald.

Or we could be a bit more passive and go for philosophy for our UB. Possibly try for Oracle.

18. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Ok some quick looking.

As it stands it will take 23 turns to tech up to Mathmatics and add another 8 to that for Masonry. We could start HG and get the marble improved on the way.

Talking of techs, judging by the cost discounts from players knowing techs the only second tier techs nobody knows are Trapping and Sailing. Most people may have Calendar and the only classical era tech people have is Iron Working (Harald entered the classical so he has this).

To stand a chance of building the HG we would need to return to :c5happy: so Memphis can grow to increase its production. This shouldn't be a problem once the war is over and we can get our workers, well, working.

EDIT

You basically took the words out of my mouth!

With Harald having Iron I would like to prioritise getting there personally.

19. Brichals

Brichals King

OK I'll go down the iron route, your analysis of the techs gone is a bit deeper than mine usually is, that's good I'm learning. During that time I'll stave Harald off and improve some tiles. OK I'll probably have a go at that now. Will report back later.

20. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I only thought of tech tree reading after watching MadDjinns Rome LP!