1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Von Münchhausen Civ 5 SG

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Succession Games' started by Optional, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

yeah, now this is where I wish I took the time to master formulas for the games calculations. so each additional city adds 15% to the current total needed to get the next total needed when its finished? so representation makes that 10%? So I guess that starts a pretty nice snowball effect as you grow and add to your empire.And as of right now its 54 turns to finish CS, Theo, and Edu so that would up our chances of being able to time the GE from lib to pop the PT... Of course there is no way for me to be precise as our CPT and SPT will go up but 54 turns to get 2 more policies and the free GP sounds doable to me...

2. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Okay I'm going to start my write up, but I wanted to post the save first in case we have any more early birds like me on. Granted I may be the night owl since the three of you guys seem to post way earlier in each day then me haha... Anyhow, this one will be much more fun to work on I focused on synchronizing things to maximize benefit, not sure how I did but I impressed myself so I am happy about that. Okay, I'm vowing to get the pics uploaded from the internet so off to figure that out right now!

Attached Files:

3. Brichals

Brichals King

Seems like good calculations Em. Hopfully we can get it in time. PT in Thebes would be very good. It makes our GS points up to 3 there and we can add a garden and national college and make a science farm. With 50% extra beakers from PT we also can go piety and still keep up in tech without rationalism.

ETA: quick look at the save. I think we could line the policies up fairly well although it may require running artists in thebes and memphis after this GA finishes and burial tomb is built in memphis. I think it's better not to run an artist in Thebes whilst we are in golden age as we lose out on the gold and hammer bonus.

4. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Spoiler :

test from my first run, okay have to convert them to jpeg to use photobucket, no problemo.... doesn't seem to challenging at all, now I can have some fun haha

5. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Alrighty lets hope nothing interrupts this fun!

Turn 69- inherited turn, left with some troop movements so I shuffle around some men towards our goals.

Turn 70- Kill off the brute near our northern troops, move Hassan into position to launch arrows across the little Bay. Also find a brute near copenhagen, pausing the retreat of our beaten archer to our new lands, move warriors into position to prevent any trouble.

Turn 71- This was definitely a fun turn to have in my set no doubt! Okay first our worker will finish the marble this turn so we'll have some extra happiness, second copenhagen +archer took care of the brute so archer is clear for take off. The worker working on our northern river farm will also be done this turn, I decide he'll be our iron mine guy. The Memphis worker will move up to the wheat and do that as he should finish that 1 turn before the city snags the gem hill and then he can move there that same turn. Hassan fires on the camp and does 2 damage I believe, but safe from retaliation, no real worries here. The archer finishes in Thebes and I move him across the river to go help Hassan. I name our warrior that killed the barb brute there Charles and give him shock, figure it doesnt hurt to have one with shock and he could be a candidate for healer as well. I give Dave the honor of heading towards the northern camp as Charles needs to heal. I start the war chariot in Thebes, as it will be a great asset in covering the distance between us and Cathy. I also under, good conscious, build Heliopolis next to the iron, as this seems to be our short term goal to possibly wipe out the Danes. Started the walls (later changed after vote two turns later if i forget to mention it).

Bill here goes to scout the rest of Copenhagen and see if he is still plagued by Barbs...

Spoiler :
    Pictures from 71/72

I tell her we won't, as I assume our next cities will be closer to our lands then hers..

Turn 72- Okay after that excitement and calms down a bit. Dave goes into Copenhagen to see what's up, I start the wheat farm and start moving the other east most worker down to the iron mine (5 turns to get there). retreating the 2hp archer to heliopolis, for two reasons, a safer, quicker heal and also (I hadn't checked yet, but...) I knew our open borders (he eventually takes that grass tile to block it off in my set) with him would end soon (Turn 81/82 actually) and be tough to get back cheaply so I figured having only the two warriors trapped would be better.

Turn 73- Okay I didn't get a screenshot of it, but Copenhagen has barbs pouring in from the west so I decide not to bother with scouting it yet. So I send Bill down with the other warrior to hopefully score a worker for us. Dave gets closer to the camp up north and both archers can fire on the camp, Hassan shoots again. I switched Helio to the monastery this turn.

Going to post this much here as I don't want to risk losing it!

6. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

To Avoid losing stuff I copy paste in to Notepad. I've been burnt to many times!

7. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Turn 74- Go figure, brute spawns on the wheat above the north camp so I move Dave in and Hassan over 1 to be in range to shoot it if the brute doesn't move, leave the other archer in case it moves on the camp. Move Bill and the other warrior towards the worker barb camp. Our beaten archer resides in Helio for now to heal up. Russia was ally to Vienna all of one turn, no longer but still has friendship there so something to keep in mind.

turn 75- Brute does not move onto the camp so I capture the camp with Dave and shoot the brute with Hassan for minimal damage. Our warriors are lookin for blood in the west and the farm in between memphis and Thebes is done so I, after 15 minutes of debating in my head, go with building a road from memphis back to Thebes so the worker will be on the hill tile ready to build a farm after the road is done. Then he should be able to mosey over to the last flood plains if we need him to, which I think we will, in the next turn set.

turn 76- wooo west barb camp spawns a spear in between our two warriors on the wheat tile so I decide to fortify the one closest to the camp and I start moving Bill to the plains NE of the wheat so only the spearman can attack him. I get the 5th citizen in Thebes on the gold mine to boost production and gold with the Golden Age from Representation. Decided on that to set us on the path to hopefully pop the PT in 50-55 turns or so. Russia has sent a lone spearmen up to scout us, I give it 25 turns before she goes nuts! haha...

Turn 77- Get a better view of the land north of us that we can not yet reach, but still not a definite of how much land is up there. Charles is healed up so I send him to search the fog on the east coast. Bill moves to the tile I mentioned and gets attacked in between turns, does more damage then he takes from the barb spearman so that's a plus (6 taken to 7 done IIRC.)

Turn 78- The War Chariot is done, I really really really wanted to go full produciton in thebes and use the golden age to try to squeeze out a wonder, (maybe if I had more turns left in my set I'd have stopped to ask but at this point its only one turn used as we can change it on 79 if it sounds like a good idea), both the oracle and stonehenge are still available for culture and the pyramids but we have plenty of workers so I don't think thats high on our list. I decide to set the production to the burial tomb as that is a guaranteed free source of culture and happiness and leave us with population growth still. I kill off the spearman with the no name warrior and let Bill rest. troops continue moving back/scouting as of last turn.

Turn 79- Okay first off I left some troop movements on this turn for Brichals I think, the warriors to the west can rest up, the archers near copenhagen are the toughest choice, we can't send them across water yet and his borders close to us early in your set. I'd hate to have 3 or 4 troops trapped over there so I didn't want to do that to us so they are there at your discretion to use. The chariot has full moves too, so we can scout whichever way with that, I'd wager south. anything else is just in limbo, we can do whatever we like with. Big choice is in Memphis. as the trouble I had in Thebes last turn, we could switch to full production now with a 5 citizen and squeeze out a wonder here as well, honestly we could go for a wonder in both, but I set it to the stone works just to pick something. I don't think thats a bad idea actually, try to get oracle in Thebes and stonehenge in Memphis. But I'll leave that for debate as we have lots of choices in both. If there is anything else I'm leaving out I'll answer questions but my hands are tired and I want the discussions to start so here we go!

The Golden Age is making us look like pros!

8. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Oh and I didn't think about it till I started doing my turns, the burial tomb does give two gold per turn with the culture and happiness because it has zero maintenance. Wasn't sure if you guys had sorted all of that out before I got back to dry land, just remembered seeing the discussion earlier in the thread!

9. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Nice set.

I'll peak at the save and post my thoughts later.

10. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Happiness shouldn't be too big of a deal as is, we'll have gems soon and Memphis can't be too far away from pushing towards the sugar tile naturally, if we build another city maybe, but we'd probably build near the silk so that should cancel out. And Meritocracy will give us some easy ones in exchange for gpt on road maintenance. I forgot that as well, the forest gets chopped on the gems this turn I believe, so thats 20 hammers towards whichever project we want there. Not a whole lot but it'll knock a turn off the first tier wonders for sure.

11. Brichals

Brichals King

Actually I think we could get Oracle in Memphis. That would boost us to the liberty GP for PT for sure. Currently we get 55% bonus production towards wonders in the Golden Age (I checked in the save).

12. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I'd like it if Thebes could start a settler this set. Since we told Cathy we won't settler near her again we have to stay at least 4 tiles away or we get another diplo minus. I think the diplo negative affects relations with other nations not just Russia. I don't know if this is one of the ones that unmet AIs will hold against you in the same way as the wiping out a civ.

I would say the original blue dot is still a good choice since we can't settle near the southern Iron with out the hassle now.

As for the Oracle I'd be ok with it. I would suggest we put Memphis in production mode first.

13. Brichals

Brichals King

Yes I would agree with full production in Memphis for Oracle (even starving) and a settler in Thebes also. It is you next isn't it Grandad or is it me?

14. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I think its you.

15. Optional

Optional Deity

I'm just checking in, haven't looked at anything yet, but I see I need to put up the roster again:

grandad1982; up
    Brichals
    Optional
    Emstinson
    ?

16. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

yeah, definitely need to put it up for me hah... going to write that down here and try to remember to tag it on my next set.... Yeah I forget about building settlers as I usually just buy them when I need one. But then again I probably don't build 4 cities this fast on my own so that might explain it as well. So I like the sound of that, switch Thebes to a settler and I'm down for seeing which wonders we can pilfer. Doesn't seem like any of our AI our big on them so far, rock on that good times.

17. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I'm up? In that case got it.

I won't switch to a settler till Thebes finishes its current build (7 turns I think). Settler was 6 turns so middle of next set.

Are we all happy with the Oracle ar does any one have counter arguments? The ones I would put forward are that we could be building in guaranteed improvements to our empire rather than starting one we may miss out on. If we didn't build the Oracle I would say something like build more units (Archers or spear?) or maybe a barrack then units.

One the plus side having wonders in multiple cities is great for one of the piety policies (can't recall the name) as it gives 33% extra:c5culture: in cities with wonders.

18. Brichals

Brichals King

EDIT: Ignore spammer above
    Moderator Action: It would be far better if you reported ad spammers!
    Spam removed.

I'm personally not too sure how good wonders are in Civ5. I used to wonder spam in Civ3 before I realised that is not a good way to play (I think you guys know what I mean). However we do get a massive discount on wonder building in Thebes and if we get that +culture bonus from piety and some great people points I think it's a good call for Oracle.

The main reason I think it's good to get a few wonders is to use our UA. In reality I think a barracks and unit might be better for us but then we could have chosen any Civ.

Also Thebes has plenty of hammers, so we can always get on top of other production things. I feel Catherine is a real threat but we can have 2 swords upgraded within a few turns which should help us out.

19. Optional

Optional Deity

An ad spammer - here? Are we becoming so popular that these pages are becoming highly sought after advertising space?

I finally had a look at the save. Well played, Emstinson. Also the lurkers should be happy with so many pics!
    It's a bit of a pain that Harald's borders are now blocking the route to the west, but that couldn't be helped. We will probably end up buying open borders. If we do get that worker - and I don't see how we can miss it - I believe it's worth paying.

Maybe we can save for buying influence with Vienna. Vienna is much better than Kuala Lumpur. Vienna, being a friendly city state, will probably, once we have influence, start asking for a road, an artist, a natural wonder and those type of things, and that should make it easy to keep them allied to us.
    The culture from Vienna will speed up social policies, and the coral is a lux we don't see available otherwise.
    If us getting friendly with Vienna annoys Russia, what it probably will, then I wouldn't mind that. We're going for Domination, remember, so keeping the peace is not the highest priority.

I don't have any problem with going for a wonder next. I'm assuming Memphis, with its Marble, is our wonder city now? In production it's still slightly behind Thebes, but with the Stone Works coming in and other goodies it has it should overtake Thebes in that department soon.
    But if Memphis builds a wonder, Thebes should concentrate on units and an occasional settler. Yes, let it finish the Burial Tomb, of course. We badly need the happiness from it anyway.

20. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Coral? Do you mean pearls?

So heres my plan.

Thebes, Tomb > Settler
    Memphis, Oracle, production focus.
    Heliopolis, just keep plugging away at the monument. After that I think we should consider a Library here.

Tech CS > Theology? We could slip in sailing here for the fish in Heliopolis (3 turns) but I'd rather keep on our route to Education.

Upgrade some warriors to swords when the Iron kicks in.

I'll leave off spending any money (except maybe for OB to get our worker home) so we can get Vienna or a RA if we want one.

I'll try to play tomorrow..

EDIT

What about a worker steal from Kuala Lumpur?